Search

Please Comment on Italy Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 09:56 AM
LED
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Comment on Italy Itinerary

Hi! My fiance and I are planning our Honeymoon for the last week in October and first week in November. The plan is as follows:<BR><BR>Fly into Naples, travel immediately to Ravello (3 night stay at Hotel Parsifal)<BR>From here, explore Amalfi, Positano, and visit Paestum<BR><BR>Sorrento (thinking of La Tonerrella 3 nights)<BR>From here, do Capri, Pompei and then Herculaneum on the way back to Naples to catch the train to Rome<BR><BR>Rome (3 nights)<BR><BR>Florence (3 nights)<BR><BR>I'm looking for any suggestions or thoughts. We're still undecided on accommodations everywhere but Ravello.<BR><BR>Please help!<BR><BR>
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 10:01 AM

Sounds good to me!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 11:44 AM

i'd be concerned about the weather. amalfi coast is a seasonal resort, and it could be cold and many stores/restaurants could be closed.<BR><BR>coachboy
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:19 PM

We stayed in Positano in mid-November 1999 and there were plenty of places still open, though the area was not that crowded. You might hit some rain, with temperatures in the high 50s, l;ow 60s.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM

LED, congratulations on your upcoming marriage! My husband and I had an amazing time on our honeymoon in Italy 3 years ago.<BR><BR>Our trip included 2-3 nights each in Venice, Florence, Siena and the Cinque Terre and one night in Milan, so I cannot comment on the first part of your itinerary. The only advice I can give is to try to fit in at least 1-2 nights and full days in Siena. We absolutely loved staying there, especially walking the hilly cobblestone streets at night, after all the day-tourists had headed back to Florence. Of course, you could always stay in Florence and take a bus to Siena for the day. The meals we had in this beautiful Tuscan village were our favorites of the entire trip It's worth the extra effort to make it to Siena.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 03:20 PM

Good plan--go for it !
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:21 PM
LED
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments! I have heard great things about Siena, maybe we could get that in somewhere. It would also be nice, because I've actually been to Florence and Rome about 4 years ago. Of course don't want my fiance to miss out on them though. (And I actually missed the David due to a Museum workers strike on my last day. )
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 06:04 AM

Do Siena as day trip from Florence. Take the bus, not the train.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 10:17 AM
LED
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion Bob! The slowtrav website has been of great help.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:12 AM

Other than not-perfect weather at that time of year, which has already been mentioned, the only caution I would add is that most of the hotels on Capri are closed at the end of October. Some of them stay open into November. You will apparently be getting there right on the cusp of closing, so be sure to check.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:32 AM

LED:<BR><BR>My wife and I are staying at La Tonerrella this coming May. If I remember (or you remind me), I'll give you the scoop when I return.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:18 PM

We stayed at La Tonnarella in Sept '02 and loved it. We asked for a double rm with terrace for 2 nights. They gave us rm nr 4 which has a huge terrace with a fantastic view of the bay, Vesuvio, and Sorrento. The downside was that it's right next to the busy/noisy street. This wasn't enough to deter us from asking for a 3rd night. However it was booked so they put us in a crummy rm 19 on the ground level with no terrace or view. The restaurant has a rep of it's own as one of the best in the area; great food! Friends have stayed at Il Nido and recommend it also. Check out their live web cam for a view of the bay in real-time:www.ilnido.it<BR>Ciao.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:34 PM
RAC

Depending on your style, you may want to consider basing yourself in Siena and daytripping into Florence. Siena feels much older and better preserved than Florence. Have either of you been to Venice? San Marco's at night was the most romantic experience for us.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 02:41 PM

One other cautionary word about getting to Capti in November. We were unable to go because rough seas forced the boats to cancel their trips while we were in the area.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 01:36 AM

If you are having 3 days in Florence, I would suggest a day trip to Venice. Its about 2 and a half hours on the Eurostar (Italy's fastest train). We took the train about 8.30 in the morning, we were in Venice by 11am. You come out the train station and the Grand Canal is right in front of you. You jump on the vaporetti (local boat - very cheap) and sail along the grand canal to Saint Marks Square - a once in a lifetime experience - it is out of this world. You then can walk back from Saint Marks to the Railway Station around 4pm for your train back to Florence or take the vaporetti back. This is an excellent way to see Venice in a day.<BR>We did this in summer and liked Venice so much we went back last year for a week. Have a wonderful honeymoon. Isobel
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 06:01 AM

Roberto....<BR><BR>From the research on this board, when I made my reservation at La Tonnarella I requested room number 4. When they confirmed my reservation, it says that my confirmation is for room 4. Sounds like it is a great room to be in.<BR>
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 07:04 AM
LED
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice. We figure not the best weather is worth the trade-off of hopefully avoiding too many crowds. Also, we understand that we're not going to be doing the warm weather type honeymoon.<BR><BR>Thanks for the suggestions &quot;fromitaly&quot;.<BR><BR>Glad to hear the positive feedback about la tonerrella...it seems there are few hotels in sorrento that offer any charm. we will definitely be looking for one of their best rooms. mark, i will definitely try and remember to inquire about your stay.<BR><BR>as for venice, no neither of us have been. honestly, i've heard so many negative things...<BR><BR>i think we would only want to do one day trip either siena or venice...by this time in the trip i'm sure just sitting at a cafe may be the order of the day.<BR><BR>thanks again to all!<BR><BR>