Please comment -- Norway Itinerary

Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please comment -- Norway Itinerary

Hello -- Planning a trip to Norway late June. Looking for feedback on this potential itinerary. Day 1 - fly from US to Oslo; Day 2 - arrive in Oslo - do city activities; Day 3 - Oslo; Day 4 - fly to Tromso and spend time in Tromso; Day 5 - Tromso; Day 6, 7,8 - On Hurtugruten ferry to Bergen; Day 9 - Arrive Bergen; Day 10 - Bergen; Day 11 - train to Oslo; Day 12 - back to US. Some specific questions -- what would you do in Tromso, Oslo, and Bergen for activities? We are a couple in our 50's. Does it matter if we take the ferry Tromso to Bergen or vice versa? Would you change anything.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 05:45 AM

Fly into Bergen from US.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 06:03 AM

Check this out. We followed one of their car trips; it was great.

http://www.norwaynutshell.com/
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the two responses. Questions - does anyone have an opinion on Tromso -- my husband and I were really interested in going there. Do folks think it is worth going out of the way to visit?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:37 AM

It is worth going to Tromsø, if for no other reason than teh Hurtigruten trip through the Vesterålen and Lofoten islands hat follows.
There is easily enough to do and see in Tromsø for a day or so.
Heading south on a Hurtigruten, even in high summer tends to be quieter than heading north, since many people only go one way, and that tends to be northbound. You miss out on Alesund for instance, but that trip through the islands is worth it. You could of course book an excursion and see the islands from teh land if you prefer.
DO go into Trondheim too - there is an excursion available southbound which will get you back in time for departure if you are worried about time.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Interesting point about the direction of the ferries. I spoke to Hurtigruten and the fellow told me that the issue with the north to south is the time of day that they leave (late at night). Please explain -- you miss out on Alesund. Thank you for your assistance.
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

My research continues! Is there any merit in renting a car and driving part way up the coast and then pick up the ferry? Would I get to see more good scenery that way as opposed to totally taking the ferry?
Old Aug 5th, 2013, 07:52 PM

We drove from Bergen to Trondheim. You might want to red my trip report; click on my name to find it. You might want to go by ship from Tromsø to Trondheim by ship and then go to Bergen by land.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 03:09 AM

The northbound Hurtigruten stops in Alesund during the day, and in the summer goes into Geirangerfjord too. Southbound it gets to Alesund at night.
If you look at the Hurtigruten website you can see the schedule. It really depends what you want to see which way round you do it. Look at the schedule and excursions available, even if you don't actually take an excursion, to decide which way appeals the most.
Oh going north there is also a crossing the Arctic circle ceremony and a certificate. Heading south is leaving the Arctic circle, with a different ceremony, and no certificate.
Old Aug 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM

We did a road trip in Norway late June 2005. It was fabulous. We stopped anywhere we wanted; gorgeous waterfalls by road side, quaint towns, breathtaking scenery, stave churches are awesome! we did ferried over a coupel of fjords, did not feel we missed anything and actuallyfet we had a much better experience than taking the trin-- Norway in a Nutshell. We did rented a hybrid, which definitely was a good move.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 01:05 AM

we crossed the arctic circle on Hurtigruten southbound, I got to take a spoonful of cod liver oil and the spoon with a commemorative engraving.

Southbound: you'll be in Tromsø at midnight, for about 40 minutes (for me that was just enough to get off the ship and dash to an ATM and back), and the excursion in Trondheim is in the really early morning. I loved docking at Svolvaer on the southbound stretch, and Lofoten was beautiful.

Do plan for a few days in Bergen.
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Viajero2 -- did you drive to Nordland or stay in the south?
Old Aug 7th, 2013, 12:10 PM

Yes menachem, that is the southbound ceremony. Northbound King Neptune visits and you get a neck full of ice, and a certificate to mark crossing the circle.

I too love going through the islands, but I can see that Alesund and the fjord would be attractive too.