Please advise on Florence itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to the people who gave me Rome input. From Rome we are spending two nights in Florence. Please advise if you see problems or suggestions for our Florence itinerary.

Florence Itinerary

Day 6: Morning train to Florence on Wednesday, June 13. Arrive at HotelCasci -one large family room/no kitchen

Accademia (David) need reservations
Duomo (Cathedral) / Baptistery
Medici chapels (tombs of Florence’s ruling family/designed and carved by Michelangelo)
Climb Giotto’s Tower : bell tower with views
Walk area / find place to sit/ watch/ rosso vino

Day 7: Uffizi Gallery (Italian paintings) need reservations
Santa Croce Church (14th century Franciscan)
Cross Ponte Vecchio Bridge (oldest bridge to cross Arno River at its narrowest point, famous for jewellery, built into structure of bridge are little workshops)
Oltrarno area / Pitti Palace (3 museums) and Boboli and Bardini Gardens
explore / eat in area
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Looks like a busy 2 days to me. Try:

http://www.florence.world-guides.com/

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Just a suggestion: instead of Boboli Gardens, you might think of the Bargello museum on Via Proconsolo. It has many sculptures like Michelangelo's Baccus, Donatello's David, Merucry, etc. It's a wonderful museum that is missed my many. I didn't find Boboli Gardens that interesting. In the evening you might try Piazziale Michelangelo. Just take a bus up and back or walk. There is a wonderful view of the city.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
ira

Hi J,

The Boboli Gardens have a glorious view of Florence.

The Bargello has some great sculpture.

Make sure that you take the no. 7 bus from the SMN station up to Fiesole (20 min 1E) to watch the sun set over the city from the terrace of the Bar Bleu.

Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ira's right - the Boboli gardens do have a great view but certainly in October they didn't have much else to recommmend them and at E8 each, seemed a bit pricey to us. With just two days, I'd follow Ira's other suggestion and go up to Fiesole on the bus instead. If you do that, you could try to fit in the Accademia on the way - it's just round the corner from the San Marco bus station.
I think you could do the Uffizi and the Duomo area all in the same day - get early reservations for the Uffizi, and you'll be out of there by lunch-time, then use the pm to see the duomo area.
THe next day, do the pitti palace and boboli gardens then wander back through the town; alternatively get early reservations for the accademia, then tour san marco [only open am] then get the bus up to fiesole and have lunch, followed by self-guided tour of the area [don't miss the monastery of San Franscesco at the top of the hill past the cathedral].
good luck!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. Watching the sunset from a terrace sure sounds like a good thing.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website. It is one I had not seen.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I think your days look great. The Boboli will be lovely in June. I think it will be a nice contrast to the time you will spend inside in the Uffizi and at Santa Croce.

A fabulous place to dine for lunch near Santa Croce is Leo’s. (Via Torta 7R – www.florencerestaurant.com open for lunch and dinner – closed Mondays – phone 055 210829)

Also, remember julieann to give yourself many moments to bask in the Italian culture. Sit, sip some vino, indulge in a bit of gelato, enjoy. You won't be able to see everything, and once you are there, you won't care because you will be having such a wonderful time.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I am so looking forward to this trip and sharing it with my sisters!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:06 PM

You and your sisters are going to have a great time.

One thing I did, julieann, during this trip to Italy was mark on my map several restaurant recs from Fodorites in areas that I knew we would be. It was extremely helpful. You will be walking a lot and I don't know if you are like me, but when I need to eat, lol, I need to eat. It was so nice to have so many good recommendations right there with me when I needed them. Feel free to click on my name for my trip report if need any more recs.

If you do make it to my beloved Leo's (lol) make sure one of you tries the ravioli aromatica, also the soup is to die for, and the best for last, Leo's cake.

I need to go eat dinner now, ha.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the idea to mark restaruants, I was so involved with accomadations and now "sights to see" that I have not thought much about the food. Hard to imagine since we do love our food. Our mother was Italian and such a wonderful cook that we are just thinking every place will be so good but ... we do have to be able to afford it too!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Don't worry about that. It is very affordable to dine well in Italy. Many family run places that are so delicious. You can of course, dress up and enjoy fine dining if you so desire, but we have found that it is not a requirement to eat well in Italy. We loved the little hidden out of the way places, so much character!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

That is what we like too, I will check your trip report to see what places you liked. Thanks so much for your help. Any ideas on Venice? I put in our itinerary for there but not much response yet.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:23 PM

We visited Venice as well. I will top our trip report for you so it is easier to find.

In Venice, I owuld not miss:
Tavernetta San Maurizio (San Marco 2619 – phone 041 5285240) It was absolutely amazing. Family run, local patrons. A hidden gem!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. For some reason the Venice itinarary I posted is not showing up now. I will check your reports out. I appreciate your help.