Please advise-I'm feeling horrible

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:10 AM
anonymous

Please advise-I'm feeling horrible

I posted this on the airline forum, but dont get a lot of activity over there.I have come down with a bad head cold and feel like hell.Headache,runnynose,swollen lymph glands(really painful) ears popping, sore throat.I'm taking tylenol and a decongestant but dont feel like they are helping.Going to Dr. today, but its probably a virus and I dont think they will give me any meds.I have never been on a plane sick before, is there anything I can do to make the flight easier?I leave for Ireland in 3 days, what am I going to do?

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:16 AM
fiona

I wish there was an answer to that!! You poor soul! You still have 3 days left so hopefully you will not be feeling so bad. If nothing else perhaps the doctor could give you something to help you sleep a lot of the journey.Keep us up to date please. Good luck!!!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Mark

Sorry to hear that - I hate being ill when I travel. You are likely to feel better (than you do now) in 3 days if its a cold. One thing which I always take with me when travelling is Echinicea in liquid form. It works best when taken at the first sign of a cold, but could still be worth a try. <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:43 AM
xxx

If you are that sick, perhaps you should consider not going... If that's not an option, at least consider wearing a medical mask so that you don't get other people on the plane sick. As a person with a suppressed immune system my biggest worry when traveling is catching something on the airplane with the terrible air quality... <BR> <BR>I hope you feel better, but there's not much I can suggest. Perhaps your doctor can suggest something to help you sleep on the plane. <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 04:48 AM
Shanna

zinc, zinc, zinc. This has been scientifically proven to reduce the suffering associated with viruses and shorten its duration. I always start using it, along with echinacea and C, a few weeks before any trip. You might also try a fizzy powdered drink called Emergen-C. You can get it at health food stores and some drug stores. It is full of vitamins and minerals and I've used it to help with jet lag and the morning results of very fun evenings. I also use it when I'm just feeling whipped. If your glands are swollen, you probably have more than a virus. I've traveled with an ear infection before without problems, but it's certainly not something any looks forward to. My doctor told me to take a good antihistamine/decongestant 1 hour before takeoff and use a saline nasal spray 1/2 hour before. Good luck. (All of the foregoing is anecdotal in nature and should not be construed as medical advice. For health related issues, please see your physician.)

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Jen

<BR> <BR>Start taking echinacea and vitamin C - lots of both. Ask your doctor if they can give you a shot of B....I heard from a friend attending a wedding once that the bride was sick like you, and her doctor gave her a shot of Vitamin B (I think) for a quick fix. Anyway, true or not, I have a feeling that if you explain your situation, your doctor might be able to help! <BR> <BR>For sleeping on the plane - 2 Tylenol PMs should do the trick. You won't have the druggy feeling when you wake up. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:38 AM
ingrid

Make sure you have a potent decongestant (prescription quality) while flying and drink plenty of fluids. And, of course, there is some evidence that chicken soup really helps!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Giovanni

Drink, drink, drink! Let me clarify: drink LOTS of water. I have been in the same situation, and I always find that if I drink a lot of fluids (hot tea feels good on the throat), medicate with the strongest cold medicine I can get, and get lots of rest, I'm usually feeling good enough to travel. Drink water even when you're not thirsty, and wash your hands with soap and water. <BR> <BR>If you're nervous about not being well enough to travel, call the airline and find out if a doctor's note would allow you to postpone by a couple of days and not have to pay any fees. <BR> <BR>If you do get on the plane in three days, I suggest you bring several (ie. 3 or 4) bottles of water and not rely on the drink cart to keep you properly hydrated. <BR> <BR>Good luck and I hope you feel better. <BR>Buon viaggi, <BR>Giovanni

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Diane

You doctor should give you a good antibiotic if needed and a good decongestant. I also love using zinc lozenges. Tylenol does nothing for me, it's always be aspirin for me. (Fortunately, no stomach problems.) They seem to make the symptoms go away faster. Lots of water and Giovanni's idea about taking the bottled water is a good one. Hope you feel better soon!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Thyra

OK... this may sound totally weird.. and I expect many MANY people with think it hogwash... (here I go revealing my So. Cal roots)but I tried this once when I had a really important function to attend and was laid as low as you can go with flu. <BR>In addition to the above.. vitamins, zinc etc. <BR>Try meditation... mentally relax and try to picture yourself feeling better, just relax each part of your body, then visualize the flu virus as little enemy army guys..(or what ever works for you) then visualize your own bodies immune system fighting, beating and destroying the "bad" virus soldiers. Instead of carrying a mental dialogue with yourself of "oh heaven, I feel so sick.. I feel like I am going to pass out... my head aches...etc" Start a dialogue of "I am feeling better, I am beating this bug" etc. and other positive thoughts. <BR>I do believe that scientific evidence has indicated that positive mental thoughts can impact health.. quite a lot. Now don't flame me folkes..there are those who pooh pooh this. <BR>But I spent 3 hours meditating when I was soooo sick once and by the time my even rolled around I was ready to go. Good luck.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:05 AM
minbrooklyn

I agree with Giovanni. Drink a ton of water. And sleep, sleep, sleep. One other thing, when you go to sleep at night pile the blankets on to the point where you're sweating. Whenever I get a cold I do this and it really works. Three days should allow you to mostly recover, unless you have the flu. Good luck and hope you don't have to postpone your trip.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Faina

Yes, tylenol is not the medicine for sore throat. Hope the Doctor will help. In the meantime: 1.drink a lot, preferrably water, nothing with sugar like soda, coke, if you can drink herbal tea without sugar it would be the best. Homemade juice (bought in store has sugar) 2.Chicken soup (add carrot and celery) as much as you can, even instead of water. 3. Vitamin C you can take 500 every hour, don't worry, it woun't be too much,the worst side effect is diarreah-like. 4. Relax, stay in bed, get lots of rest, stay away from TV and reading, giving rest to your eyes as well as your body.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:23 PM
anonymous

I went to the doctor today and just as I suspected was told that I have a virus.Thanks for all the great advice I'm going out to pick up all my remedies and hopefully will still make it out on Saturday.So long for now~

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 02:16 PM
John G

I swear by Echinacea. I don't know why it works, but it does. I usually take two before I go to bed on the first day of a cold, then one capsule per day thereafter, until the cold is gone. I also swear by Niquil. I would advise you also take something to knock yourself out on the plane. Usually, Niquil works for me, but maybe you need a Valium or something. I flew to Paris once with just a minor cold and I thought I was going to die. The pressurized cabin causes your sinuses to feel like they are going to burst. That is the worst part. So, drink some wine and take something to make you sleep.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:10 AM
fiona

to anonymous <BR>are you feeling any better today?

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 09:48 AM
anonymous

No, I'm still sick.I got the zinc, and am drinking lots of water, chicken soup.The decongestant is drying me up too much so I'm skipping it today.I'm starting to lose my voice, but once I get out of bed and get going its not so bad.I'm still leaving in the morning.Everyone here is so nice.Thanks for the advice and concern.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 09:52 AM
fiona

sorry to hear that! Good luck with your journey anyway- I hope it doesn't spoil your holiday!

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 10:15 AM
cindy

I'd suggest you take a good topical decongestant with you on the plane -something like Otrivin. It will clear your sinuses and therefore keep your ears from hurting during takeoff and landing. Don't overuse it, though -you can get rebound congestion if you use it more frequently than directed.

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Judy

Watch the alcohol, I wouldn't take any with the decongestants and anti-histamines you're consuming. Nasal saline spray, lots of water and sleep will help. One time when I had sinusitis, a wonderful stewardess gave me 2 washclothes that were steaming hot to hold over my ears while we landed. Good luck. Judy

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:16 AM
Giovanni

Just wondering how this trip worked out....are you back and did you survive?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -