Pleasantly surprising traits of Londoners

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading long threads about the irritations suffered by London residents at the hands of tourist, one may come away with the impression that Londoners have few qualities that a visitor would find atractive. I can't believe this to be true as I have known many people who have visited, some many times over, and not a complaint among them about the locals. Unlike the many grumblings about Pariseans and their treatment of tourists.
Can we have a discussion about the attractive qualities of the London population that sees so many tourists comming back again and again? It can't be a bunch of interesting buildings that attract so many visitors. Please share the charming elements of Brittish culture. No, I am not a dentist so don't make me pull teeth. thereyet
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
whoa - Can't wait for the incoming on this one
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:28 AM

This could be a short thread.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Hi Padraig, are you suggesting that modesty is one of those traits? thereyet
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:32 AM

British culture or London culture. I think London is a melting pot of many cultures, one of which is British. 1,000,000 Irishmen they say and untold numbers of south asians, chinese, etc.

And that's what i love about London culture - it's variety - the ethnic areas some of which could be right out of Pakistan or India.

So i'm not sure what you mean by British culture vis-a-vis London.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:33 AM

I don't think anyone will be "surprised" to learn that people in London do not make a habit of calling people from France "frogs."

Janis...take cover LOL!!!!!!
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:34 AM

I think that, in London as in Paris, there is a direct correlation between the way one behaves and the way one is treated.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:36 AM

It has been many a year since I was in London...I remember being warned that they were a cold bunch, less than friendly...my experience was quite the opposite...open a map on a street corner and be gently besieged by wonderful English accents inquiring as to whether they could be of assistance...enter a shop and be the recipient of unfailing courtesy...and the delightfully dry humor that helped make my visit one to remember...I found them a marvelous bunch...
Dupher
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:37 AM

I don't think anyone will be "surprised" to learn that people in London do not make a habit of calling people from France "frogs.">>>>>

Yes we do!

Now back to people being nice about us....
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:39 AM

The British wit and sense of humour.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ, I grew up in a melting pot in Chicago so I too would find that attractive. But even in the City of Big Shoulders there is distinct charecteristics that one could identinfy as Chicagoan, Same must be true of London (Britain). thereyet
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:46 AM

I was not speaking of what people call others <b>behind their backs</b> but rather to their faces.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:51 AM

I went to London and I would stand there puzzling at the map. Several times middle-aged gentlemen would come along and offer assistance unasked. An 80+ man gave me a free tour when sitting next to me on the #11 bus and told me of his WWII experiences.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM

Same answer. Well it depends on context - not in a business meeting for instance, but in a mixed crowd watching an england v France football match - you bet we do.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:56 AM
P_M

If you are asking what I like about the British: they are always kind, courteous and helpful. I had the exact same experience in Paris and the rest of France. People always respond to how you treat them, therefore I've never had any trouble.
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM
LJ

I don't know if it would be considered &quot;surprising&quot;, but it is certainly pleasant, to be left to one's own devices. I like privacy, finding things on my own, don't want to be &quot;helped&quot; unless I specifically ask for it.

I like Londoners because they let you get on with your own business, even when that business is traveling.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:04 AM

perhaps the welcoming feeling is more an effect of language than anything else. In Paris few folks really speak fluent english and may be more aloof to ask 'can i help you' though if language weren't a barrier they may well.

My experiences with Londoners has always been pleasant but i think a lot of that was because i could really converse with them.

And the tradition of the queue though kind of going by the wayside i believe has always struck me as so proper and welcoming.

thereyet - could you give me a few snippets of irritations suffered by London residents at the hands of tourists - i've not picked that up at all. Just curious type of stuff you're talking about.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:05 AM

Oops just saw the post you were referring to so will peruse it. Sorry.
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM

Audere, I'll bet you are great fun at cocktail parties...wish i had run into you in London when i was there last month..and I do NOT mean with my car, either!

Cheers!
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

PalenQ, on the previous thread there was alluding to Brits as being reserved and private. I can't imagine that being the case in a pub during a football game. Or am I thinking wrongly here? thereyet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -