Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pleae help!!!!! What currency should I use?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 02:58 AM
dollie

I'm going to Barcelona & I don't know if I should change my &pound;'s to the Euro or Spanish ptas.<BR>Do they have the prices stated in both?<BR>Or should I just go for the Euro as the ptas is being wiped out?

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 03:31 AM
Kelly

Well it really depends when you are going. Euros are not legal currency until after Jan 1. Both currencies will remain in effect for some period of time, usually until the end of Feb but it is different with each country. Yes, just about everything is posted in both currencies.

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 06:06 AM
inUK

Dollie<BR><BR>On 1 January 2002 shops, restaurants, etc in the eurozone will charge in euro instead of the old national currencies and their cash machines will dispense euro notes.<BR><BR>You will still be able to use the old currencies for a short period, which differs from country to country. (see below for change over dates)<BR><BR>You will only be able to take the existing currencies with you until the end of 2001. In the New Year, you should take euro but won’t be able to get any before 1 January. If you’re going to be abroad over the New Year period, take the old currency as you’ll still be able to spend it in January. From January 2002 you will only be able to order euro travel money.<BR><BR>Change over to Euro (from old currency)<BR><BR>Country Currency <BR><BR>Austria Schillings 28 Feb<BR>Belgium Francs 28 Feb<BR>Finland Markka 28 Feb<BR>France Francs 17 Feb<BR>Germany Marks 28 Feb<BR>Greece Drachmae 28 Feb<BR>Ireland Pounds 9 Feb<BR>Italy Lire 28 Feb<BR>Luxembourg Francs 28 Feb<BR>Netherlands Guilders 28 Feb<BR>Portugal Escudos 28 Feb<BR>Spain Pesetas 28 Feb<BR><BR>Cheques/plastic<BR><BR>You could take Euro travellers cheques, which are convenient and safe way and are already available - But, if you’re travelling before 24 December 2001 I'd recommend that you take local currency or sterling travellers cheques.<BR><BR>The currency changeover will not stop you using your credit or debit card in the eurozone. Your account will be debited by the currency of purchase on your transaction slip and a sterling (or dollar!) equivalent will be shown on your statement. Be careful to check the amount you are signing for is correct and in the right currency!!<BR><BR>Withdrawals from cash machines before 31 December 2001 will be paid in the existing local currency and from 1 January 2002 in euro.<BR><BR>Hope this helps - good luck!<BR><BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 06:17 AM
Bob Brown

You have been filled in on the euro, but whether euros or pesetas or francs or marks, I would take "home" denominated travelers checks only. They are "lumpy" in the sense that you have to cash the whole check. If you need 5 or 6 pounds worth of the local currency and your checks are in 100 &pound; or even 50 &pound; amounts, what do you do with the exra local currency? I cannot predict my needs and wants that accurately. Therefore, I use my credit card and ATM machines for local currency because I can titrate the amount I convert much more easily. The checks I have carried to Europe usually come home with me. I have some that have now made 2 visits.<BR>When I get home, there is no problem to convert them into spending money.<BR>

Old Nov 23rd, 2001, 08:07 AM
Sjoerd

inUK: the last day on which you can use guilders in the Netherlands is January 28, 2002.