Planning Milan next

Search

Planning Milan next

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Milan next

Just returned from 8 great days in Lucca and Tuscany. So of course we are already planning the next trip. Leaning towards Northern area; Milan, Lake Como, Venice.
Couple questions:
Would you suggest a car rental for any/all these areas?
Would ten days suffice? Or too much?
Been in July (too hot) and October (too wet). What about September? Spring season is out.
Thanks for any advise. A whole year away but its new territory but already getting excited.
Thanks, Lisa S
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:00 AM

I have gone to those areas in late September and the weather was fine. We flew into Linate from London. I always like to go when I want so I'll always suggest a car. The drive around Lake Como is fabulous. It's easy to fill up 10 days. Venice is about a 3 hour drive from Como.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:18 AM

SKIP Milan, and spend more time in the other cities, you might want to include Torino or maybe go to Lugano/Gandria just over the Swiss border
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM

We're doing this trip in May. I'll know more then!

We're not renting a car (it's just not relaxing for us to deal with car rental and driving in Europe, parking, etc.) but are train-ing it. The feedback I've gotten is that this is not a problem. In the past I've found trains in Italy (and most of Europe in general) to be a very pleasant experience.

We also got some feedback from these boards that there's not all that much to do in Milan. In fact, some folks had suggested that 2 nights was too many for Milan and that it would be better to move one of those nights to Bellagio or Venice.

I think 10 days is a decent amount of time to cover the ground you mention.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:35 AM

We went to Milan in August. It was a perfect time since most places were somewhat deserted and even the tourists seemed lighter. I wouldn't have missed the cathedral for the world.

I published an article about the trip in the online magazine Military Living. We also did Turin and Genoa, as well as Lucca on that trip.

On a separate trip we did Venice. We only spent a day but I do intend to get us back there before we leave Italy.

That said, there is just so much to see and do

We live here and there are 6 of us so we always have wheels, unless we are flying to a specific city for a specific time period. I happen to enjoy Italian driving...

Btw, we did Milan sites in a day.

Happy travels!

PS--If you want to go search for trip reports, you can always go to Dirk Pepperd's Space Available website. Geared for military retirees, it has much useful info that is specific to different places.