Planning a vacation

Jul 27th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Planning a vacation

Hi,

My new husband and I want to plan a trip to europe. He has never been but loves the idea of going to Greece. I think due to budget, we would have to go for a short period of time, probably 5 days. Does anyone have any suggestions for a great vacation on that short of a time. What would be the best time of year to go? We want to keep it affordable, but wonderful!

THank you!!
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:22 PM

Are you from North America? Because that is an awfully long distance to go for only 5 days. You would be jetlagged for most of your holiday! Also, the flights could be more costly due to the distance so anything you might save on hotels etc would be eaten up by transport costs.
If you travel in the off season you can save money; shoulder seasons, like April/May and October, would perhaps give OK weather but still not be as expensive as high season. Also keep an eye out for airline deals. But you should think about going somewhere slightly closer, like London or Paris, or even Italy, for such a short visit.
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Not knowing your location, it's hard to say. If it is in the U.S./Canada I'd consider Mexico or the Caribbean for such a very short time and wanting a beach vacation. Not to mention more affordable.
Jul 27th, 2004, 08:31 PM

Hi, Shonda. If you want a really inexpensive trip, check out http://www.gotoday.com

It's a web site that offers deals on hotels and flights. These aren't tours because all you get is the hotel and flight. You have to do your own sightseeing, but they are usually very inexpensive.

I'll second the idea of visiting western Europe if you're only going for five days. If you leave on Tuesday, you don't arrive until Wednesday on many flights so you've already lost a day. The first day there, you can certainly sightsee, but you will be jetlagged and slightly fuzzy. We're usually ourselves by day three but if you're there for five days, you are already thinking about going home.

Consider a trip to Ireland, the UK or France for a first trip. My favorite is France but I am definitely prejudiced. Paris has got to be one of the most beautiful cities in the world and you would probably love it. As cities go, it isn't that expensive either. You can find nice clean and very reasonable hotels in Paris and food is a bargain too. I highly recommend it. You certainly won't run out of things to see and do!!

You can find nice hotels and cheap airfares at http://www.france.com also. Just click on Hotels right under the search window and the Airfares button is on the far right side of your screen. We've used GoToday and France.com for years and never had a problem with either.

Have a great trip.
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:05 PM

I wouldn't got to the US for a 5 day holiday from the UK, and Greece is another 3-4 hours east of here.

However, it's a very different holiday to the one you would have in the UK or France.

If you still want to do it, I'd suggest, if you're a city person, go to Athens and see the city and take day trips to places like Meteora. If the coutryside or sea is more your bag, then pick a big island you can fly right into- Corfu, Rhodes or Crete- and chill by the beach.