Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Planning a honeymoon in Spain and would love advice on Hotels. . .

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Vlad

This forum has great advice! I'm planning a honeymoon in Spain (2 weeks w time in Barcelona, Mallorca, Seville, and Granada). I would love some advice on romantic hotels or villas in any of the places above that also have a bit of Spanish character (I'm thinking 4 or 5 star hotels). I'll have a car for 5 days once we get to Seville -so if there are must-see drives or day trips, that would be great also. Thanks!

Old May 26th, 2000, 11:06 AM
Kris

For something secluded, romantic and historical you may have to stay a ways out of town. But I have a fantastic suggestion since you'll have a car for at least part of the trip. Here's the website: http://www.parador.es/ <BR>They have about 80 of these converted castles, monasteries, etc. throughout Spain, and they can be a truly wonderful way to get away from it all and still have some luxury. <BR>Hope that helps!

Old May 26th, 2000, 04:18 PM
michele

Vlad, <BR>What a great place for a honeymoon. <BR> <BR>I would recommend Hostal de la Gavina in S'agaro on the Costa Brava. (We drove there from Barcelona ). It's a grand old place, filled with antiques, and offers the sort of elegance you rarely find any place these days. The walkway around the sea is lovely as are the grounds in general. You can get the details on Karen Brown's website. I don't think it's open all year.(KB is a good general source anyway). <BR> <BR>Also, do a search and look for postings by Maribel who knows and loves Spain. Her advice is always top-notch ,further she recently took a second honeymoon in Spain. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip and congratulations. <BR>Michele

Old May 26th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Maribel

Vlad: <BR>I'll bring a post I wrote on honeymoon spots in Cataluna to the top for you-check the "Costa Brava?" thread. <BR> <BR>Here are some Andalusia suggestions: <BR>In Seville, there's the venerable, ornate Mudejar style Hotel Alfonso XIII, now a Westin, right in the center of the city-a classic, in the Grand Old European manner. Great place for tea-large pool. VIPs stay here. <BR>Or you might be very pampered at the romantic new all suites hotel in a restored 16th c palace, the "Casa Imperial" tucked behind the Casa de Pilatos-very "sevillano" with beautiful rms says a friend who just returned from there. 3 red gables in the Michelin guide, always a trustworthy sign of charm. View it at www.andalunet.com/casaimperial/ <BR>Or, if you'd like to pull out ALL the stops, just 15 min outside of Seville, in Sanlucar la Mayor you have the "Hacienda Benazuza"-a gorgeous, grand country estate surrounded by olive groves. It consists of a 10th c Moorish villa with a Renaissance wing filled with British antiques and beautiful Spanish tiles, a 17th c church, stables, and scores of secuestered patios, groves of orange trees, gardens with reflecting pools, affording lots of privacy-a real oasis and stunning to behold. The hotel could be full and you'd never know it; it has a very Moorish feel, including the Arab gandura and babuchas at your bedside instead of the customary robe and slippers; it also boasts a very elegant, white-glove restaurant "La Alqueria", which is overseen in the winter by the super famous chef, Ferran Adria of El Bulli in Roses, Costa Brava. The Sultan of Brunei rented out the whole estate for his visit to Seville's Expo in '92. Four red Michelin gables and member of Leading Hotels of the World (www.lhw.com) <BR>Also 1/2 hr outside of Seville in Carmona, there's an intimate 16th c aristocratic country house hotel, the "Casa de Carmona" filled with lovely antiques, although rather unprepossesing from the outside-very private, but it's also like staying in someone's quite lavishly appointed home (help yourself to drinks in the library, etc.) See it at http://www.bravotours.com/Casa%20Palacio.htm <BR>or the Parador/Alcazar Don Pedro, a 14th c imposing fortress-palace with large rms, pool, beautiful views over the plains and a dining rm that looks like a medieval castle banquet hall. It is romantic but also bustling with tourists in high season because it's reasonably priced. <BR> <BR>In Granada there's the Parador San Francisco on the Alhambra grounds (Michele and I think it's overrated); since it's so hard to book, I've decided I'm just as content at the modest but cute little Hotel America next door (which does have 1 suite), but Maria reported a quite memorable recent stay at the Parador. Since I have stayed there once, I happily make do next door and walk over for drinks and dinner on the terrace, which is an absolute must! Couldn't find a more romantic spot to while away an evening in Granada, and the food and service are superb. <BR>Hope this gives you some ideas. <BR>And congratulations as well! <BR>Maribel <BR>

Old May 26th, 2000, 06:25 PM
Maribel

Forgot to mention that a fellow Fodorite, Clay, just returned from a great stay in Deia, Mallorca at "La Residencia" (www.relaischateaux.fr)

Old May 26th, 2000, 09:20 PM
Lorie

Hostal de la Gavina is a great choice. It has a private beach (about a 5 minute walk) and located inside a gated community. The Karen Brown website is www.karenbrown.com. Check out the guidebook, Karen Brown's Spain: Charming Inns & Itineraries guide. You will find a lot of great hotels/B&Bs/inns listed w/ all of the info you need to contact the properties directly. The website is great and features a lot of color photos of select properties. Also, try the Hotel Aiguablava is Aigua Blava. It's in a coastal town and offers spectacular ocean views. It is family run and is a real gem. To contact them directly via e-mail, write to them at: hotelaiguablava.com. In Barcelona, try the Hotel Colon (also featured in the Karen Brown guide). It is perfectly located and offers beautiful cathedral views (check the Karen Brown website). If you are looking for a B&B, try Can Fabrica in Cornellia de Terri. The owner, Martha is gracious, her property is wonderful. Be sure to bring home some of her homemade marmalades and bottle olive oil.

Old May 29th, 2000, 05:29 PM
Vlad

Thanks for all of the excellent advice! The more the better. BTW - has anybody stayed at the Ritz in Barcelona. We have tentative reservations there but my friends have been telling me that it may not have much charm - only the feel of a hotel chain. I haven't talked to anyone that has stayed there . . . <BR>Thx, <BR>Vlad

Old May 29th, 2000, 07:53 PM
alta

Vlad - <BR> <BR>You didn't ask about the Costa Brava, but... we stayed at the Rigat Park Hotel (five star) in Lloret de Mar last summer and loved it. I think it was about a half day's drive from Barcelona. <BR> <BR>Lloret wasn't the nicest town on the coast, but the Rigat Park was definitely a class above the rest of the hotels on the strip. It's not a high-rise - it's a 3(?) floor wood/stucco building hidden in the trees - without their signage, we would never have found it. We had a great room with a terrace and a view of the ocean. If you're looking to relax on the beach for a few days, this would be great. It's definitely honeymoon-worthy. <BR> <BR>Hotel Tel. (972) 365-200

Old May 30th, 2000, 08:49 AM
michele

Vlad, <BR> <BR>I looked at the lobby of the Ritz in Barcelona and it was gorgeous. <BR>KB recommends it and she is quite reliable. I would read her description and trust it. It sure didn't look like any chain hotel I've ever seen. <BR> <BR>Michele <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old May 30th, 2000, 06:17 PM
Maribel

Vlad, <BR>Michele is absolutey right-the Ritz is one of the top 3 luxury hotels in Barcelona (along with the Arts and Claris). Friends of mine stayed there last June and loved it-and they're very, very picky about their lodgings; only the best in the city will do. It's a member of Leading Hotels of the World (www.lhw.com), plus it has a great location (much better than the Arts-but the Claris's location is also tops). It rates 5 RED gables in the Michelin guide-can't get any better than that!

Old May 31st, 2000, 07:28 AM
Annette

You might take a gander over to Barnes and Noble and peek at the newly published Eyewitness Tavel Guides Great Places to Stay in Europe. It is illustrated and features gorgeous appearing hotels in Spain.

Old May 31st, 2000, 01:28 PM
alan

hi <BR>check out www.spainnet.co.uk <BR>enjoy

Old May 31st, 2000, 04:47 PM
Vlad

Thanks for the tremendous help. I'm relieved that the Ritz rec'd such high recommendations. I'm currently looking for something cool in Mallorca - thanks for the tip, Maribel. I'm also looking for a hotel/castle somewhere near Seville or Granada that a friend referred to w/ translation as "The House of the Jews" - I think that it may be one of the Parador hotels but I'm not sure. Anyone?

Old May 31st, 2000, 08:12 PM
Maribel

Hi Vlad, <BR>Check out La Residencia at <BR>http://www.lugaresdivinos.com/espanya.htm <BR>Clay, the Fodorite who just stayed there, recommended rm 67 which has its own pool, garden and kitchen. <BR>From my Harper's Hideaways newsletter: <BR>"a hideaway resort secluded in a dramatic mountain setting just outside the quaint seaside art colony of Deia. Hewn from a pair of imaginatively converted 17th c farmhouses, the hotel shelters 65 fetching guest quarters, a gourmet vaulted d. rm (El Olivo) and atmospheric wood-beamed salons opening onto panoramic terraces overlooking lushly landscaped grounds rife with colorful flower gardens and olive/citrus tress." It's been praised in all the travel/gourmet mags. <BR>Could your friend be referring to the "Casas de la Juderia" (Houses in the Jewish Quarter) in Seville? It belongs to the "Casas y Palacios de Espana", a 3 member 3-star hotel group. It's very pretty, made from a couple of townhouses on a tiny street in the Barrio Santa Cruz and very popular on the Forum, but not the same 4-5 star luxury as the Ritz and La Residencia. Read about it at www.karenbrown.com <BR>View it at www.sol.com <BR>Have fun planning! <BR>Maribel

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 09:19 AM
michele

Vlad, <BR>Just to corroborate Maribel's description. Casas De las Judaria is lovely; very atmospheric, in a great location. It is NOT however a big place and as it is in the city does not have grounds. I would describe it as a boutique hotel. If you choose a city location in Seville, you can't go wrong with it.I like it's quiet mysterious charm better than the Alfonso XIII. <BR> <BR>Michele <BR>PS Please give us a report when you return! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 2000, 12:41 PM
Maribel

Once again, I agree with Michele regarding the "Casas y Palacios" properties (Casas de la Juderia, Casas de los Mercaders, Casa del Rey de Baeza) compared to the Alfonso III. For a honeymoon I'd choose a smaller, more intimate, romantic hotel in a pretty, atmospheric location like the Barrio de Santa Cruz. The Alfonso actually felt to me more like a chain hotel, albeit a lavish one (it's a Westin)-more bustling with tour groups, conferences, a meeting place for the movers and shakers, right on a busy thoroughfare, although it does have the large pool/garden area. <BR>We were booked for late June at the Casas de los Mercaderes (sister to Casas de la Juderia) but just switched to a tiny new place I discovered and am eager to try: the "Casa 7" (95 4221581), in the heart of the Barrio Santa Cruz, is a sherry baron's home which he recently turned into a 4 rm hostelry after several yrs of renovated, with supposedly regally decorated rms in the line of the British country house hotels. I'm told the host has exquisite taste and knows all the "in" spots to dine, etc. Breakfast is served in the d. rm by a white gloved butler. Tariff was the same as the Casa Imperial. The pictures look beautiful, but you never know until you try. We shall see... <BR> <BR>Maribel

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 12:20 PM
andrea

<BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks for the info on hotel benazuza...we just booked it after reading your review. this is a 10th anniversary trip for us.Is there any thing that you suggest we must do while there? we would be interested in any nearby wine tastings. Is there <BR>anything special in the town of San Lucar La mayor that we should see? Also although we have a car is there any local transport into Seville? Since you seem to be so know so much about Spain can I also ask you about Los Monteros Hotel is in Marbella? Thanks so much Andrea <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 02:01 PM
Maribel

Andrea, <BR>The Benazuza provides car service into Seville. The town of Sanlucar la Mayor holds little interest for tourists. It's a suburb of sorts of Seville surrounded by other haciendas/cortijos/olive groves. Ask the concierge at the Benazuza to arrange a tour for you of the sherry bodegas (cellars) in nearby Jerez de la Frontera. My favorite is Pedro Domecq, but there are many that are open for touring/tasting. The "Sherry Triangle" consists of Jerez, Sanlucar de Barrameda (for its own brand of sherry, the delicate "manzanilla"-Bodegas Antonio Barbadillo is one producer) and Puerto de Santa Maria (Bodegas Terry and Bodegas Osborne offer tastings). <BR>The concierge can also arrange other excursions for you, or golf or make dinner/flamenco reservations as well. And for anyone who might want to fly in, the Benazuza even has a helipad! <BR>I'll email you directly about Le Meriden Los Monteros, and let others continue to offer Vlad their honeymoon recs. <BR>Maribel