Places to stay in Nuremburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any helpful hints? Maybe it would be to stay somewhere close by also.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 06:59 PM

Not sure how close you need to be, but Bamberg is a lovely little city about a 30 or 40 minute train ride north of Nuernberg. It's a World Heritage Site; has a lovely Altstadt that suffered no damage in the war; was an Imperial city with both royalty and a Pope buried there; the Regnitz River runs right through the Altstadt, adding to the interest and charm.

Famous as one of the beer brewing centers of Europe--noted for its smoke beer (Rauchbier), though many varities are brewed in and around the city.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:09 AM

What's your budget? Taste? There is an Ibis very close to the train station. It's not packed with atmosphere, but it comfortable. The train station area is not my favorite at night--it's not dangerous, but there are usually some skeevy types about.
The Meridien is one of the best hotels in town. We usually stay at the Maritim, as it's close to the train station and old town, but easy for drivers (and has parking). Decor is more oriented towards business travelers than leisure travelers.
We have stayed outside Nuremberg in the small, pleasant village of Kalchreuth at the Forsthaus. Very nice, a 700 year old building that was sympathetically renovated to combine both old (ceiling beams, stonework) and new (power showers, highly efficient plumbing and heating). A car definitely needed for that one.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:09 AM

We stayed at the Romantik Hotel Am Josephsplatz in the Altstadt in Nuremberg. Really great hotel and very convinient to everything else in the Altstadt. It was a bit of a walk from the train station, but not a big deal. We stayed in Nuremberg for a few days and made a couple train trips to other places in the area, so we made the walk to the train station several times. I think our nightly rate was around 90 euros for 2 people, including breakfast - very good breakfast too. The hotel has loads of character and the people are really nice. And there is an elevator for the luggage

I second the recommendation for the raughbier - yuuuu-mmmmee. In fact, the Aecht something-or-other beer we had there was our favorite in Germany. I have a picture on my bulletin board of my husband at a cafe just outside the castle in Nuremberg with his rauchbeir. Unfortunately, he isn't holding the glass right, so I can't read the name of the beer - LOL.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 02:55 PM

What are our priorities?

If price matters, and if you're prepared to take the subway for a few stops you can stay in reasonable places all along the lines. Just use mappy.com to locate the address of the hotels you google or otherwise look up, lots and lots of them outside the main central area, but no shortage there, either.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:08 AM

JC--Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier. Brewed in Bamberg.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 02:38 PM

Thanks Rufus That is indeed a tasty beer.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 03:12 AM

I just put a case of Aecht Schlenkerla Urbock down in the basement. My December supply.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I went to the Beverages and More website and they claim to carry it, but it isn't in my local store. So asked for an email notification when they get it in. So far, nothing. I am going to have to call them.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 05:22 AM

My local liquor store ordered it from their distributor--took 4 or 5 days as I remember. I'm in Maryland. Of course it is not the same as right from the tap in Bavaria, but it's still mighty good.