Reload this Page >

Places to return or do again

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Mary

Tonite my husband and me were talking about places we've been that we really would like to go back to, because of a message I posted here yesterday about time and travel. We've been to Rome, Florence, and Venice-Paris and London, Amsterdam and Zurich, All over Turkey and all over Israel twice. We've never spent more then 4 days in ny one place, 4 being the longest in Paris. Out of all those places the only one I really yearn to do again is a 4 day Turkish gulet, which is a wooden ship that sailed very slowly around the meditteranean coast of Turkey. We stopped at some ancient towns with incredible ruins atleast twice a day, and saw towns only accessible by boat. It wasn't luxurious, no a/c, we had to sleep on sun mats on deck (under the stars) because the rooms were too stuffy. The meals were good but simple, sometimes whatever the captain caught. There were 9 passengers and 3 crewmen (including the Captain) and no one spoke English but us and 1 other couple, not even the crew- but it was magical. I loved it! I want to go back and continue up the Aagean coast for more of the same. How about you? Any places where you know, once was not enough.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Maggie

Barcelona!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Joyce

Paris: I love returning again and again. <BR><BR>Most of all, I love the countryside in Southern England, the beautiful green rolling hills. It is the only part of Europe to which I have been tempted to move permanently.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR><BR>

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Arlelne

I think a wonderful trip includes one week at a place you love and one week at someplace new....yup...I can live with that!!!

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Wayne

In every trip to Europe, which we try to make at least once a year, we do somewhat the same as Arlene described. Like you, Mary, we like to move from spot to spot frequently, so we get to experience as much of each different ambience as possible. So for each trip, I design an itinerary that touches one or two of our most favorite old spots, picking different favorites every year, and then as many new spots as time allows. It's always a challenge to make the tradeoff between time spent in any one place versus getting on to the next place, and our usual practice is to alternate short stays and long stays (long being usually no more than 3 nights, maybe 4 in the case of Rome, Venice, Vienna, or Paris). And of course we always drive, so some of our new favorites are places we didn't even know about ahead of time, but discovered as we drove from one stop to the next.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Shannon

Our trips to Europe are like what you wear at weddings -- something old, something new . . . .<BR><BR>I was fortunate enough to backpack around Western Europe after high school. My husband was not, so he has more of this "clean slate" of new places to see. <BR><BR>One of the places I have really wanted to see again is Norway, and we are fortunate enough to go this summer, all new places for my husband and son, some old, some new for me.<BR><BR>Places we've been together and wish to return to (other than Paris, where we have returned many times) would be Italy in general, Venice in particular. A weekday in September, with the last rays of the day's sun glistening on the canals is a mental postcard I will not forget.

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Doug Weller

We only had 4 days in Rome, and we really want to go back. And the 2 days in Barcelona left us wanting to return there also.<BR><BR>I would go back to my log cabin 3000 feet up Cattail mountain (just a couple of peaks over from Mt Mitchell, NC), overlooking Cattail Creek every year if I could.<BR><BR>Doug