Reload this Page >

Places not to miss

Search

Places not to miss

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Nikki

Places not to miss

We are planning a trip to Britian in May. We have 3 weeks to explore and the only places we defintely want to see is Bath and Loch Ness. Need suggestions and ideas of places that we shouldn't miss. And also is it better to rent a car, book a tour, or travel via public transport.<BR><BR>Thanks for your help. Nikki

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:35 PM
MaryC

Nikki,<BR><BR>Is it your first time to Britain? Do you feel comfortable driving in a different country? Would you rather plan your own itinerary and wing it or do you prefer the comfort of having a tour group plan everything for you? The downside of a tour is that some are large and impersonal and shuttle you around like cattle. I personally like to plan everything myself. However, IF I were to do a tour I'd probably do one of the Rick Steves' Europe thru the Back Door tours as they are smaller and allow you some flexibility of being on your own and doing some exploring.<BR><BR>Please give us more input on what you're looking for in travel: history, beauty, architecture, art, a pub crawl? How tight is your budget? And how/where do you want to spend your money? We'll be better able to help you once you give us some parameters.<BR><BR>Have a great trip! : )

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Anonyimouse

Check out the Wallace Arnold web site for tours in GB -- there are many to choose from that are only a few days. Except for the transfer and hotel, most of the trips are fairly independent. Also, some of the tours include half board.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Patrick

I have been to Great Britain many times, but I still vividly remember my first trip there, which was also for three weeks. We spent a week in London first, then took a train to York for a couple of days. From there we rented (sorry, "hired") a car for a week and drove a large circle with stays in Keswick (Lake District), Chester, Broadway in the Cotswalds, Stamford, and Lincoln, returning our car to York. We then took the train to Edinburgh. But we soon found we wanted a car there too, so we got one and drove to St. Andrews, Perth, around Loch Lomand, and Glasgow, returning to Edinburgh, from where we flew home (via London). There's not much we would have done differently, except for keeping the car we had in York to go to Scotland. It was a wonderful trip.<BR>For the next few years we'd go for two weeks, each time a full week in London and one week in another area -- one time Cornwall and Devon, one time the Southeast. I think that first trip though with the loop through the "center" really gave us the greatest appreciation of England. By the way, on that trip we visited Bath as a day trip by train from London. While in London there are a lot of places you can travel by train for wonderful day trips, but to go further afield, I heartily recommend a car.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Barry

Hi Nikki -<BR><BR>Driving in "Britland" is a piece of cake once you get outside the London area. We have done a number of 10 day driving trips and you can really cover a lot of country. We have driven from the Isle of Wight all the way up to Edinburgh in one 10 day period .... but that is REALLY pushing it too hard. But with 3 weeks you can really see a lot...<BR><BR>Don't miss:<BR><BR>Edinburgh<BR>Aberdeen<BR>The Scotch Whiskey Trail<BR>(Those 3 are a good swing up through Scotland and you can see a lot of beautiful country... add that to Loch Ness)<BR><BR>Cardiff and the Coast of Wales<BR>Cornwall & Land's End<BR>Salisbury<BR>Stonehenge<BR>South Hampton<BR>(Those are a good easy few days from London heading west... add that to Bath)<BR><BR>While spending a few days in London DON'T drive...make sure and get the "Tube Pass"... that'll add also the public double decker buses and that is a good "On and off" way to see London.... just look at the route map and you can really cover London with out a lot of fuss!<BR><BR>On one such trip we drove up from London to Edinburgh, turned in the car there and took the Sunday First Class Rail back to London.<BR><BR>You can also get a book of "Coupons" good at small Inns, Hotels and B&B's... that way you can set an itinerary from day to day with each place calling ahead to make the next night's res for you. We've done that twice with me driving and my wife "navigating"... we'd get into a "round about"... I'd call out the names of the towns... she'd look them up in Fodors ... and we'd head to what sounded best gt<BR><BR>If you are adventurous that's a fun way to do it!!!<BR><BR>Best wishes and have a great trip!<BR><BR>Barry<BR>

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:06 AM
Joanne

Nikki, as others have said, it's hard to recommend things without knowing more about your preferences. In particular, you do NOT want a car if you're in London, but it's difficult to see a lot without one (or a tour package) outside of London.<BR><BR>Here's what I did with my sister and two teens during our 3 weeks last summer:<BR><BR>Week 1, London. Bought London Pass for museums and daily family tube passes (cheaper for us because of the kids). Zoo, Aquarium, Dali Museum, Tower of London, Catamaran Cruiser to Greenwich, Observatory, Queen's House, Cutty Sark, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul's.<BR><BR>Week 2: Countryside. 2 nights each in Stratford-upon-Avon, Hay-on-Wye (Wales) and Bath.<BR><BR>Week 3: London again. V&A, British Museum, Portrait Gallery, Sir John Soane house, Cabinet War Rooms, Globe Theater. Day trip to William Morris House, Hatfield House (daughter is QEI fan) and banquet. "Inner Circle" tour of Stonehenge, Avebury etc.<BR><BR>We could gladly go back for another unique 3 weeks this summer, though, so please help us narrow it down for you!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Dottie

We drove London to Bath... We went to Stonehenge on the way. It is a wonderful drive!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Bill I

If you are interested in Maritime history, Portsmouth is a must. You can tour the HMS Victory(Flagship of Lord Nelson), HMS Warrior(First metal hulled warship), & see the remains of HMS MaryRose (from Henry VIII time), plus the Nelson & Maritime museum. I remember on my first trip to Britain, I had 17 days, there were a number of musts including Bath & Portsmouth, but my number 1 must, after London, was & still is Edinburgh. It has history, scenery, shopping, & very friendly people. I now also try to include atleast a day trip into Wales - Caerphilly has a fantastic castle, & Cardiff castle is also worth a look. Although I have not been there yet other posters have also recommended the scenic northern part of Wales. I have used books by Fodors, Frommers, Lonely Planet, etc., but when determining what I can visit by train I have used Britain by Britrail, I really like that book.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Bob

If you do Bath, include Stonehenge on the way. They are very close as is Salisbury and the church.<BR><BR>Stratfod on Avon will be very disappointing to you. Trust me here. They ruined the town with fish and chip joints, large signs and junk tourist shops. We were there in 1990 and enjoyed it. Returning in 2001 was a mistake. <BR><BR>Cotswold area of England and the Lakes District are beautiful and great for exploring by car.<BR><BR>Loch Ness is a lake. Water, blue. No monster but a nice fake statue to photograph.<BR><BR>Edinburgh great town and close to St Andrews.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Joanne

Nikki, you might indeed be disappointed in Stratford, as Bob expects, but on the other hand you might enjoy it as we did last summer. <BR><BR>We stayed at a B&B about a half-mile out of town, walked into town along the charming Avon canal, saw houseboats and fishermen but no other tourists. The Shakespeare performance that we attended was outstanding. Certainly, there are plenty of tourists in Stratford, but perhaps that's because it's worth visiting. I promise you, nobody will force you to enter the souvenir shops or fish-and-chips places against your will.<BR><BR>And if you're looking for Disneyesque, artifically preserved-in-aspic towns like the Cotswolds favorites (which are also overrun with tourists during the day), then you will be disappointed. But if you want to visit a town that has preserved a bit of old English history, then you just might enjoy Stratford.

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Nikki

Thanks to everyone for their advice. Just to give everyone I bit more background. I think we would prefer to organise our own tour, so you have the flexibility to go where you want. So the suggestions have been great, I am convinced that hiring a car is probably the best way to go (outside of London), at least we drive on the same side of the road, so the adjustment won't be too bad. What we want to see is history & beauty. Coming from Australia which is a relatively new country it would be fantastic to see historical sites that are beyond our comprehension. Special thanks to Barry, you have convinced me that we can see a lot in three weeks.