Places in Poland worth a day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you think a day is too much? Not enough? In most cases, we will see some of the area on the way to the place we are staying, e.g., Ksiaz Castle and Krezeszow Abbey on the way to Jelenia Gora. Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks.<BR><BR>Kazimiers Dolny, Lublin, Zamosc, Samdonierz, Jaroslaw, Sanok, Brzeg, Jelenia Gora, Lubin/Rydzyna, Gniezno, Ladek/Lowiez, Chelmno/Bytow, Darlowo, Leba, Malbork/Frombork/Braniewo, Olstyn area, Nowogrod.<BR><BR>We have ample information on the following, although, any additional insights are always welcome: Warsaw, Krakow, Zakopane, Torun, Poznan, Gdansk,Mikolajki and Wroclow are multiple day stops. Thanks again. <BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Of the places you specifically sk about &quot;for a day&quot;, I have been to two - Lublin and Kazimierz Dolny. I was in Lublin only briefly, driving through on a quiet Sunday moring. We did get out and walk around the small old town area. I would say that if you are in the vicinity, it is worth a couple or three hours. Just outside of town is the Mjadanek concentration camp, which is worthwhile to visit if your are so inclined. <BR><BR>We were in Kaz. Dolny for the bulk of a day. It is a nice, atmospheric small town, with a very nice main square and surrounding area. Worth a visit.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Howard.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 12:32 AM

Go to Krakow and see Auschwitz.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

topping!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 11:13 PM

Suggestion: The new cathedral in Stary Lichen. Near Konin and Torun. Get directions/map from,&lt;viamichelin.com&gt;. Czestochowa-Jasna Gora monastery complex. Malbork-Castle of the Teutonic Order. Nieborow-The Radziwill Palace, near Warszawa.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GStead. Had all but the new Cathedral in the plan. I will look into it.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Trying one more time. Thanks to those that have provided some information.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

PeterB and CharlieB: You have both offered me some information about Poland and I got some more in your responses to nk_uk. But, would you take a look at the enclosed and offer any comments you might have. I am trying to determine where I should spend a day and where I can double up. Thanks.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:59 PM

joegri - I agree with all your &quot;worth an overnight&quot; towns, and have a few suggestions for half day &quot;interludes&quot;. K. Dolny can be visited on your way to either Krakow or Lublin, or can be a day trip from either. Zamosc is another easy day trip from Lublin which could be an overnight or two. Malbork is a day trip from Gdansk or can be a stop over on your way to Gdansk from Warsaw, Posnan or Torun and is definitely a must see so leave yourself more than a few hours. Unfortunately I know little of the other sites you mention - though I continue to dream. Have a wonderful trip!
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

CharlieB, your information is very helpful. It helps me allocate our time in that region effectively. Thanks.