Reload this Page >

Place Rogier seedy?

Search

Place Rogier seedy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:17 PM
Traveler

Place Rogier seedy?

I found a good rate at the Hilton on Place Rogier, formerly Albert Premier Hotel, but I've heard it's in a seedy area? True or false? Unsafe for 2 women?

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:27 PM
curious

Where is Place Rogier?

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:28 PM
traveler

Sorry, it's in Brussels.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Leigh

Traveler -- <BR>I was in Brussels in May and concur with what you heard about Place Rogier. We almost rented an apartment in that area that we found on the Internet and wondered why the price was so cheap. You should always listen to your gut reaction. I can't say that I know where the Hilton is but I have an idea of the area; lots of strip joints, questionable looking bars and restaurants and I have read that the drug trade is healthy there. I think I remember Fodor's saying to be careful there after dark. Although I believe it has improved from years past but this May was my only experience there. We ended up staying in the Avenue Louise area and really enjoyed it. Tons of wonderful restaurants and gorgeous Art Nouveau architecture; lots of atmosphere. Brussels is a great city.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 11:30 PM
BTilke

Yes, it is seedy and is even more so on week-ends. The Sheraton Hotel is the big name hotel on the Place Rogier, I have to go there today, but I don't look forward to it. The area is ok, if not particularly attractive, during the day, but I wouldn't be around there at night. What kind of rate did you get at the Hilton (this is news, as the only Brussels Hilton I knew was on the Blvd. de Waterloo)? You could probably do just as well in a better area....there are many hotels along or near the Ave. Louise that would be a much better bet for two women. And the Hilton on Blvd. Waterloo has been offering some good deals as well. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Traveler

The wonderful rate I got was under 90 Euro. I can't remember the exact rate but you can find it at the Hilton website. They took over from the pre-existing hotel (Albert Premier) so perhaps that's why you were not aware of it. As we are only going to be there for 2 days, we want something central so that we can wonder around during the day but we're not much for going out at night. Still recommend we look for something else given the above info?

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 01:49 AM
ann

hi, place rogier is near the strip area... it's not in the middle of it, is at the end of the rue neuve shopping street, and is within easy walking distance of the grand place, has its own underground station.<BR>Now I would not suggest you walk in the "botanique" park that is uphill behind the Hilton, but Rogier itself is ok as it is always busy.<BR>I personally don't think there is a need to change, and I've never felt unsecure there (although I frequently am getting a late train and am crossing place Rogier to walk to the Brussels North trainstation).<BR>If you feel not happy about it, do change, but avenue Louise being uptown & more expensive, also has its share of prostitutes & nightclubs (less visible & more expensive) ...<BR><BR>I hope you enjoy your trip.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:24 AM
Kelly

Is there more than one Hilton in Brussels? I stayed at a Hilton there last year, and it was a really nice hotel and I didn't think there was anything wrong with the area. It was probably about 20 or so minutes walking from the Old Part of the City. Sorry can't remember the exact name of it.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 04:13 AM
Gregory

Hi,<BR><BR>There is another hilton , the Hilton Residence ( I do not know where that one is but it will be on the hilton website). The main one the Hilton Brussels is near Avenue Louise