Pisa train to rome

Old May 25th, 2018, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Pisa train to rome

Hello Dear Fodorists
I will be in Pisa a few hours arriving 0900 to central station
I will walk the 25 minutes to the Tower to visit together with the Duomo and Baptistery entrance at 1000

Do you think I have enough time to afterwards join a walking tour at 1200 ????? for 2 hours?

I am then taking the train to Rome.
Direct leaves 1450
Stop in Florence leaves 1530..gives me a little more time to catch it

WHich train do u suggest I take? I cant leave later as I have a show in Rome starting 2200 hours

Thank you
Old May 25th, 2018, 07:15 AM

Post on Euro forum
Old May 25th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe.
Old May 25th, 2018, 07:52 AM

Yesm there are two routes to Rome from Pisa Centrale station - one down the coast and direct and one via Florence and high-speed trains - coastal route is much prettier than the high-speed line that has lots of tunnels and blah scenery. Both take about same time I believe. Check Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia for schedules and booking early to get limited number of discounted tickets - big savings over full fare. Also check www.tranoitalo.it/en for the high-speed route - competing train company to Trenitalia using same stations and tracks and similar trains - often cheaper if not booking early enough to nab discounted ducats on trenitalia.com. www.seat61.com is the best resource for booking own tickets online at a discount - general train info BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:25 AM

I caught the coastal route train in both directions between Pisa [centrale] and southern Tuscany and it was great, and still has fast trains. Also no need to change in Florence. Highly recommended.
Old May 25th, 2018, 01:42 PM

The coastal route trains are IC trains I believe or most - curious as to how they compare to comfy high-speed trains IYO.

Cheers!
Old May 25th, 2018, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
Yesm there are two routes to Rome from Pisa Centrale station - one down the coast and direct and one via Florence and high-speed trains - coastal route is much prettier than the high-speed line that has lots of tunnels and blah scenery. Both take about same time I believe. Check Acquista il biglietto con le nostre offerte - Trenitalia for schedules and booking early to get limited number of discounted tickets - big savings over full fare. Also check www.tranoitalo.it/en for the high-speed route - competing train company to Trenitalia using same stations and tracks and similar trains - often cheaper if not booking early enough to nab discounted ducats on trenitalia.com. www.seat61.com is the best resource for booking own tickets online at a discount - general train info BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.
hI Palenque..
I hadnt seen your replies

FortunatelyIIjust boughtt the direct that goes along the coast!! yes thought it should be much prettier
Intercity 35345
for EU 19
leaves 1450 arrives 1803 but is DIRECT no stopover in Florence!

I got a detached window...what is that? LOL

But I realize it is NOT fast..it stops in all these towns! but at least is only 2 minutes...14:50Pisa Centrale15:0215:04Livorno Centrale15:3815:40Campiglia Marittima15:5015:52Follonica16:1216:14Grosseto17:0 617:08Civitavecchia17:5217:54Roma Ostiense18:03Roma Ter
Old May 25th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

hi annhig

Thank you for your reply..

I hadnt seen all the replies before so .I just bought for EU 19
Intercity 35345
leaves 1450 and arrives 1803 in Rome termini

I realize it stops in various towns but only for 2 mins...what do u think?

kind regards

thank you
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:26 AM

Delores - that looks like an excellent deal. The intercity trains that I traveled in were fine, perfectly comfortable, and what they lack in actually speed between stations will be made up for by the fact that you don't need to change trains in Florence. The line was pretty interesting in places and in just over 3 hours you will have seen a lot of the coastline.

A tip from my most recent journey on an intercity - they are reservation only trains but on the way that wasn't a problem. I easily found my seat and it was fine. On the way back, it turned out that the reserved seats from that station were all at the back of the train and there were people sat in the corridor with their luggage. As the rest of the train seemed quite empty I turned round and started to walk back up to one of the empty carriages, only to be remonstrated with by a girl who was behind me who intimated that I wouldn't be allowed to sit somewhere else. I just shrugged and carried on, reckoning that I hadn't got much to lose - the worst thing that could happen was that the ticket inspector would insist that I move. However just as I anticipated, the inspector wasn't in the least bit interested and i was able to enjoy 2 hours of almost complete isolation before someone joined me in my carriage for the last 20 mins or so.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

hi Annhig

thanks for your feedback!
YES that was the reason to chose that one because it is DIRECT no changes in Florence and takes the coast. !!
.I enjoy everything related to water. in the water along the water LOL
and I BOOKED a seat!! a detached window with table. .I think is a single one!!
I even registered with them and have a cartafreccia number!....
thank you very much!
kindest regards, Dolores
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

hi PalenQ my friend... they seem as per the photos very ok to me...! even 2nd class..I managed to chose a seat ! EU 19!
thank you
kindest regards
Dolores
Old May 27th, 2018, 02:45 PM

So pleased you are happy, and that we were able to help, Delores. I much prefer direct trains where I don't have to change even if they take a bit longer. The route does not hug the coast but does follow it for part of the time. Well done for doing it all on line.

Brava!
Old May 27th, 2018, 04:14 PM

I BOOKED a seat!! a detached window with table. .I think is a single one!! >

Never heard of solo seats in 2nd class but anyway at that price so so great.
Old May 28th, 2018, 07:29 AM

Yes, you've found a great price for the train. I often take Intercity trains, and usually they're fairly modern. If there is a table, it's not the old type of train with separate compartments. I'm not very fond of those.

I wouldn't try to take a walking tour with the time you have. You can find self-guided walking tour suggestions in a guide book or on the internet, so you can plan your own time. If you're walking back to the station, allow about 45 minutes to an hour from the vicinity of the tower. It doesn't take that long, but you want to not have worries about a wrong turn or difficulty finding your train. I once took a wrong turn in Venice, a city I know fairly well, and ended up having to run for my train.

If you'll be leaving bags at the left luggage facility at the station, allow an extra half hour for picking up your bags. There is sometimes a long queue, although it shouldn't be too bad in mid-afternoon.

I suggest you also visit the monumental cemetery, which is an optional part of the ticket to the tower. It's very beautiful.
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi bvlenci..yes I wont be doing the walking tour..plenty to see with the tower, baptistery etc..thank you !! what I found was a pedicab that takes you around in 45 minutes and leaves me back at the station!..thanks for yr help cheers
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

yes..thank you PalenQ...! cheers
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

cheers!
Old May 28th, 2018, 01:16 PM

Yeh please report back on train and Pisa experience!
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes PalenQ

will do....thank you

I should also comment on my balloon ride in Amboise last year!.... cheers
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:37 PM

Yes about balloon ride - always intrigued me - seeing chateaux and Loire from the air!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO