Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pisa: Pick car before or after visiting Field of Miracles?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
We are flying into Pisa. Would like to see the tower and the other sites in Pisa before driving to Montecatini. I was wondering if it would be better to store the luggage, visit the Field of Miracles, then come back and rent a car. Or first rent a car, and then do the sightseeing. I have heard driving/parking in Pisa is not easy.
Thanks for your expert advice!

Ciny
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Hmmm. Were you thinking of driving the same day as a transatlantic flight? Are you coming from America? Have you driven in Italy before?

If you are not coming from America, but the UK or somewhere else that isn't an overnight flight, I suggest you pick up a car at the airport and drive to the Campo dei Miracoli. It's at one end of Pisa with plenty of good parking -- although in general I don't find driving in Pisa difficult.

If you are coming off a transatlantic flight and you have never driven in Italy before, I suggest you pick up a car at the airport and head straight to Montecatini and day trip back to Pisa later in your trip (with the car or by train).

In fact, were it me getting off a transatlantic flight, I would get a car service or train to Montecantini and wouldn't pick up my car rental until the next day.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well its about a 30 minute walk through the old town. Tower in the North and Airport in the South (more or less in the urbean sprawl so walking it or taking the bus it certainly possible.

Parking good up by the Tower. What time of the day?
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
may sound like a silly question but I did the tower last at 10pm while the opera was on and conditions vary during the day
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for all your responses. We are coming from the States but will be flying in from Frankfurt that day after few days stay in Germany. The flight arrives around 2pm. We have never driven in Italy.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM

Unless you pick up a car at the airport, you probably will not be able to pick one up in Pisa until after 4pm. (And if you are arriving on a Sat or Sun, maybe not at all, so check that out.)

Depending on your plans, however, you may want to delay renting a car until you think you will really need one. You can take a train from the airport to Pisa Centrale, stow your luggage, see the Campo dei Miracoli and enjoy the walk through Pisa (with a nice pastry and coffee on the Borgo Stretto), pick up you luggage and take the train to Montecatini. Where are you going that you need a car, and when? You will be paying for parking in Pisa and elsewhere, as well as the daily rental costs. If you plan to go to such places as Lucca and Firenze, you don't need a car at all from Montecatini, and it is a hassle in many ways to have one in those places.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you zeppole. Pisa airport seems to have car rental open till midnight. Will think it over still.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Get the car and drive to the Tower--the car office is open at the airport---keep it simple.
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM

I don't think it is simple to have a car in Italy if you don't need one. It's a pain to park it in most tourist destinations in Tuscany. Montecatini is on the train line. If you are staying in town there and visiting other towns on the train line, you could find yourself with an expensive albatross. I would only pick up a car when and if I needed one. (In Lucca, Pisa, etc).

But if you are staying outside the town of Montecatini, or plan to immediately head out the next morning into the countryside where train stations don't serve your destinations -- then it is simplest to pick up your car at the airport when you arrive and you won't have much trouble finding the Campo dei Miracoli (follow the brown "Torre Pendente" signs).
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Sir Bob, I am delighted to see you here!!!

BC
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM

I am going to tag my question on to this one. We are doing the reverse...dropping our car off at the Pisa airport. If we keep the car, tour Pisa and then drop it off, what do we do with our luggage (I don't want to leave it in the car)? We will be taking the train to the Cinque Terre from Pisa that day (after exploring Pisa). Are there lockers in the train station? Would it be easy to drop our bags off there?

Thank you!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:34 AM

Hey BC, where have you been?
I do not see your latest glamour shot posted in your proflie.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Yes, there are lockers in the Pisa train station. I would recommend that you switch your drop off location to the Pisa train station car rental office, stow your luggage in the train station, see the monuments, return to pick up your luggage and get on the train. It is not hard to drive to the Pisa train station.

However, all that said, let me say these two things:

You really needn't fear leaving your luggage in the trunk of your car provided it can't be seen by passers-by -- meaning, it's in the boot or trunk, out of sight, and every car I've ever rented in Italy has plenty of room to do that unless you are carrying mega-suitcases, and I dearly hope you aren't in Cinque Terre.

The only serious kind of car break-in issues we have in Italy tend to revolve around GPSs. So don't leave one of those in the car (and don't leave the mounts or cords visible either). Otherwise, if you want to look like you're just a local parking their car, buy a copy of the local newspaper and leave it on the seat, along with your cigarettes! ;-)

I would recommend that you keep your car and drop it off in either La Spezia or Rapallo, and take the train from there to Cinque Terre.

The one thing I wouldn't do is drive all the way to the airport and then schlepp bags back to the Pisa train station.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM

ciny-I second renting the car first. We are doing something similar. We arrive from Paris and decided to rent our car at the Pisa airport. Reason-mostly just didn't want to go back to airport. We haven't driven in Italy (only France) either.

I thought I read somewhere that lockers weren't available at train stations or airports due to security. Any info about that?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Thanks so much for the tips. Our car drop off is Sunday, which limits our options, but I will check into your suggestions.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi ciny,

I've got a different variation on the above - stay in Pisa for the night and then pick up your car and drive onwards. this gives you time in Pisa without ANY stress and allows for any delays etc.

we stayed there for a night about 25 years ago prior to flying home, and again about 2 years ago with our kids. we loved it both times, despite the hawkers and con-artists that bedevil the campo dei miracoli. it is SO special that it transcends everything they can do to it.

regards, ann
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. We already have reservations at a farmhouse near Montecatini for that night. So I think renting the car and proceeding is the best option. We are arriving on a Sunday. Does that make it harder or easier to find parking?
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM

The parking lots are big. On Sundays, Italians to drive around and sightsee. But it all doesn't matter. You just have to find a parking place, right? You'll find one. I've actually parked on the street near the monuments and fed the meters, with luggage in my car.

Have a great time with at your farm. Since that's where you are going, not in town, I agree you should just get your car at the airport and enjoy Pisa on the way. Don't be put off by the tourist tat hawkers near the monuments. People overreact to them. And do go inside the Duomo. It's one of the most magnificent churches in Italy.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Zeppole. I am looking forward to a wonderful time!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi ciny,

as you are locked into your accommodation for that night, i agree with zeppole.

if you want to climb the tower, you can reserve your "slot" at www.opapisa.it. you leave any bags in lockers where you pick up your tickets. they let up about 30 people at a time for about 30 minutes.

have a great trip,

regards, ann

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -