Pisa - is it worth it?

Search

Pisa - is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pisa - is it worth it?

My husband and I (we are 55+) are leaving for Italy in 3 weeks. We planned to go from Florence to Santa Margherita Ligure on the train, stopping at Pisa for a look at the tower. This will entail checking baggage, then walking to the tower and back. I hope we can do it all in time to catch the IC-plus train to SML at 1:45. If not, we will have to take a regional train and arrive at SML after 5 PM.
Here's my question : Is this worth it? Is the Field of Miracles really a "must see" or an overrated tourist attraction? Would we do better to just get to SML and have a nice glass of wine and think about the next day's Cinque Terre hike?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM

All replies are in this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35120981

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I went on a whim and I thought it was breathtaking. I just ignored the kitsch and carts around it and looked at the trio of buildings for what they are themselves (stunning, IMHO) and I really enjoyed it. I did it as a half day from Florence and would do it again if I had the chance.

I did something like that in 2003. I say it's definitely worth 2-3 hours of time. The artwork in the baptistry and cathedral is much more impressive than the tower, imo. It would be worth the stopover even without the biggest tourist cliche ever in the same area.

The only drawback might be what to do with your luggage. At that time I was not able to find a luggage check at the train station, so I had to take my backpack with me as I visited to Piazza of Miracles or whatever it's called. If you're packing light it probably won't be an issue, but if you have a lot of luggage and can't find a place to check it, then skip it.

I say it's definitely worth 2-3 hours of time. The artwork in the baptistry and cathedral is much more impressive than the tower, imo.
Old Apr 19th, 2008, 07:11 AM

italprof- stop advertising on this site!

badsneakers- I stopped in Pisa for a few hours on my way from Florence to CT and it is doable. You can check your baggage at the station and take the bus across the street to Field of Miracles and back (it would be a long walk).
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:51 AM

If time is not important then go dirently to the riviera (S:Margherita) and take a nice day trip to Pisa, you won't have to worry about leaving luggage and hurrying to meet trains.
The travel time from Santa Margherita is about 1hr 30 min and there are trains almost every hour.
Have a great trip!!!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:54 AM

It is interesting how often this "Is Pisa worth it?" topic comes up here.

just to say that I was skeptical about it and didn't see how it could possibly be that much better than the millions of pictures i had seen of it...until I GOT there...the thing can be transfixing and the several other buildings are worth a look as well.

Do yourselves a favor..do not WALK from the station..get a taxi or at least a bus...I mean if you only plan on doing it once....
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 06:58 AM

I echo all of amyb's comments. I was blown away by the sheer beauty of the buildings. Ignore all the tacky vendors around it. It's breathtaking.

We happened to nix it from our original plans after reading posts here, but had to unexpectedly exchange our rental in Pisa, so said "what the heck". It was totally worth a stop over, but I wouldn't stay in town or go a LONG distance out of the way for it.

Buon Viaggio!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Stay in Lucca and visit Pisa.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM

It has been nearly 14 years since I went to Pisa. I WISH I had spent more time there instead of just stopping while on the way to Florence. I don't care about the other tourists. What I saw and felt there was just amazing and worth any difficulty.

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 02:52 PM

Pisa is more than a tower. There is a reason it has been an important tourist destination for centuries. Check it out. You can have a glass of wine when you get home.

Don't be put off by those who say it's a waste of time--they may be the same folks who don't like Venice.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Echo the sentiments. Was told over and over again that it was a tourist trap. The kids wanted to see it, we went, and we were thrilled.

And I hope you buy the tourist souvenir that I wish I had bought--the leaning coffee cup.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 09:15 AM

My husband and I are in our 60s and enjoyed the walk (from the train station) to and from Pizza de Miracoli with 2 grandsons last year. We did it as a day trip from Vernazza, so didn't have to worry about bags. It was our 3rd trip to Pisa - we have to keep sharing it with grandchildren! It is well worth the time - I agree with the others - you can just ignore the merchant strip and focus on the beautiful buildings. Be sure to see the inside of the Baptistry and hope for a demonstration of the fantastic acoustics. Also the Cemetario is well worth a visit.

Old Jun 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM

In my opinion, it's not worth it. You can visit and take some pictures and move on with another place.
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 01:50 PM

I would go to Pisa and skip Santa Margherita!!
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM

Josephina, I love my leaning coffee cup!
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 06:22 PM

It is definitely worth the visit. We did have to make the walk back to the train station from the tower and it was a little bit of a walk; but if you have the time to do it, walk back and enjoy the sites of the local culture as well as the touristy area. There were also plenty of cabs and buses going back and forth.
If you want to go into the tower, the tours book really fast and you may have to wait until a later time in the day if you aren't early getting there.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM

We had no problem with the walk between the train station and the tower. It is filled with tourists, but it is worthwhile to visit Pisa.
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM

I just returned from Pisa today and was amazed by how few tourists there were aside from the Piazza dei Miracoli. Yesterday was Luminaria night with all the facades of the palazzi lit up by thousands and thousands of candles. Then there were fireworks and music in the streets. I wondered where all the crowds of foreign tourists had gone...maybe to the 5 Terre? : )
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 07:33 PM

Last August we stayed overnight in Pisa. The Tower was a 30-second walk from the hotel. I had been to Italy twice before and never went to Pisa. I know that a lot of people consider Pisa a tourist trap, but I personally liked it. The crowds disappeared around dinner time, and we were practically the only ones hanging around the Field of Miracles after returning from dinner. Since we arrived in Pisa late Friday afternoon, there was no way to visit the old Jewish cemetery, which was closed for the Sabbath. For us, that would have been an interesting visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -