Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Pink Teeth? Is this a tell-tale Pepto Bismo residue?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Sandi

What's best to protect against Montezuma's Revenge? Someone told me to suck a Pepto Bismo several times a day. Makes you look kinda funny. Are there any alternatives?

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 04:42 PM
daniel

Why do you plan on importing and drinking Mexican tap water in Europe). Daniel <BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 06:24 PM
Joanna

Actually Daniel, you've got me wondering. It's called Gyppo Tummy in Egypt and Delhi Belly in India - what DO they call it in Europe, if anything? Must admit, I've never suffered from it in Europe.

Old Jun 27th, 2000, 09:34 PM
elvira

I get Montezuma's Revenge when I go to Florida, so it's not because the water's bad. Ditto in Europe. The change in time zones, airplane travel, stress, new food, etc. are the culprits. No way to ward it off (except to stay home, and what fun is that?) but we find Immodium-AD at the first attack cures the problem. Real traveler's diarrhea/tummy comes from iffy water, so anyplace that might have that problem is no place to drink the tap water, put ice in drinks, or brush your teeth with tap water. Use bottled water for everything. Europe is not in that category. <BR> <BR>Oddly enough, half the Loons get diarrhea and the other half get constipated. Go figure. <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 03:32 AM
stacey

Worse - the chewables can turn your tongue black. Get the caplet form. Work great and easy to travel with.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 07:18 AM
cass

Some advice that has largely worked for me: as soon as you get to a new area, try to get (and eat) some locally made yogurt - not the frozen or imported kind. The local yogurt cultures will help your intestinal "flora" adapt to local baddies. <BR> <BR>And p.s.: Do be careful w/Pepto Bismo as well as kaopectate, etc. Don't use them as a preventative but as a remedy _after_ some sessions of diarrhea. They may well constipate you, and if what you have is a lower-intestinal bug, it might not be good to keep the baddies in your system longer than you have to. The idea is to get rid of them, which diarrhea does naturally, but then your gut has been irritated and goes into spasm -- and THEN you need to calm it down with medication and bland, low-fat foods.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 09:32 AM
Nancy

I totally agree with Elvira on this one, bottled water when in doubt and Immodium-AD. It works great with no side affects.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 10:03 AM
Bob Brown

I use my water filter. I have one for hiking because giardia is everywhere. Moreover, when on the trail in the Alps, you don't always know which pasture the water might have come from. These filters take out bad taste as well. <BR>I consulted my medical resource on this.\ <BR>First TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR or a Travel Clinic. <BR> <BR>For true Montezuma's revenge which is an infection, you should have a prescription of either <BR>doxycycline or tetracycline. <BR> <BR>aS A rehydration drink if you get the real disease, the following is suggested in medical literature <BR> <BR>1 liter of known potable water mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of sodium chloride (table salt), 1/4 teaspoon of potassium chloride (to get potassium back in your system), 1/2 teaspoon of baking sode and 3 to 4 tablespoons of sugar or honey. <BR> <BR>Pepto bismol as a preventative 3 or 4 times a day is ok. <BR> <BR>The big item is the prescription antibiotic if you really get socked. <BR> <BR>TALK TO YOUR OWN DOCTOR.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 10:30 AM
Paul

From years of traveling through the Middle East, in places you would not even want to know about, I have found that: <BR> <BR>1) Coca-cola will settle your upset stomach. This does not apply to other brands of cola drinks! Only real Coke (or diet Coke) works. <BR> <BR>2) If you're having a hard time keeping things down, and need to recover & rehydrate, use what they use in the Middle East: mint tea w/ sugar and plain yoghurt! Believe me, it works wonders. <BR> <BR>I won't travel anywhere without mint tea. It really does settle your stomach. Plain yoghurt (add honey if you can't stand the taste) is highly digestable and easily absorbed by the system. Take it from one who was wickedly ill in Egypt after eating curried camel - this works!! <BR> <BR>I also would be careful taking doxycycline or tetracycline. Be aware that these drugs increase your sensitivity to sunlight. The problem also arises from how they work - they kill everything in your system, good and bad. Frequently, when you return home and stop taking them, you'll get another bout of diarhhea. They should, IMHO, only be used as remedies of last resort.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 10:42 AM
kam

Be cautious drinking tap water if you drink a lot of water every day. Watch where you eat seafood. The Loons who get constipation probably aren't drinking as much water, if water is the cause. Some people just react more to changes in diet and environment. This can't be called Montezuma's Revenge, which as previously stated is an infection. I always assume everything will be OK but always travel with a Rx of Lomotil(much quicker acting than Immodium) and a box of Immodium. Don't take either to prevent diarrhea, only if you get it. The yogurt suggestion is good. I've been terribly sick in Dublin (think it was the flu) and Venice (got very daring an ate in small restaurant(frito misto)so probably food poisoning) If you are vomiting, do not drink anything for at least one hour after the last episode and then only take 1 oz. to start. You can further irritate your stomach if you drink immediately and cause more vomiting which will increase dehydration. I don't think the Pepto will do anything good or bad.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 10:45 AM
Paul

I'd warn against Lomotil - Immodium is the more modern, and more prefered medication. The problem with Lomotil is that it acts as a cork, whereas Immodium allows your system to process things through.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 02:15 PM
Bob Brown

There is a good article in the journal Clinician Reviews, vol 10, Number 1 starting on page 56. <BR>The article says that " ... traveler's diarrhea is the most common health problem to affect travelers." <BR>Table 3 on page 74 lists <BR>bismuth subsalicylate, ciprofloxacin (cipro) and floxacin as being useful to prevent and treat travelers diarrhea. <BR> <BR>More information is available at www.cdc.gov/travel <BR> <BR>The two "oxacin" drugs are stricly prescription medicines. So you must talk to your doctor! <BR> <BR>At any rate Pepto Bismol, or a generic version of it, is listed as a preventative measure.