Search

Pileta Caves near Ronda, Spain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pileta Caves near Ronda, Spain

Hello!

Has anyone been to the Pileta Caves near Ronda, Spain and could give advice on the best way to get there from Ronda/how expensive the transportation would be?

And are there any hiking trails around that area? It would be a good day to hit the caves and hike around for that day. Looking for easy/moderate trail, easy to cover in several hours.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 07:33 PM

The cave at Pileta makes for an interesting visit, but it is not as simple or easy as visiting other caves. The day we went we had to wait to wait a few hours for a couple of others to show up before taking the tour, but overall it was worth it.

http://www.cuevadelapileta.org/texto...ituacion-2.htm

As far as getting to the cave, you can take a taxi from the tourist office in Ronda. Sorry, but since we drove, I can't tell you how much it was, but it wasn't too much, and the taxi will wait for you until the tour is done.
Old Mar 14th, 2016, 09:11 PM
kja

Hmmm... When I was in Ronda in 2004, I checked at the Tourist Information office and (according to my notes -- which I just checked) was told that a taxi to the Pileta cave, one way, not counting a wait, would cost the equivalent of $50 -- which was, unfortunately, too rich for my blood at the time, even for a special splurge. But that was a long time ago, and I could have misunderstood or misrecorded the conversation, or things could have changed....

I didn't do any hiking in the area, but am pretty sure you do have some options. In fact, I think hikes in / around Ronda have been mentioned in at least one recent Fodor's thread that discussed Ronda. You might want to search this board....