Search

Piedmant

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piedmant

We are at the early stages of planning a two week trip in May. One week in Piedmont and the second either in Umbria or the Dolomite area. Any suggestions of places to stay in Piedmont? Ideally, we would like to be in a quaint village within walking distance to restaurants ( we are planning to enjoy the local wines).
Any ideas about where to go the second week?
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 04:03 PM

The Dolomiti are a spectacular sight, perhaps the single most spectacular natural wonder inside Italy, and if you like beautiful scenery, the area is unsurpassed, especially the Alta Badia, but it is all quite beautiful.

However, if you are going in the first half of May, you should check the historic weather patters with residents, some of whom post on the Tripadvisor message boards for the Dolomiti. Also, unless you rent a car, you will face some complicated logistics getting to the most scenic areas, and moving about within them.

If the Dolomiti isn't a good weather bet in your travel time frame, Umbria won't present those problems.

For Piemonte, you might want to look at La Morra for a destination and see if you can find what you are looking for in accommodations and ambience.
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 10:54 PM

We spent 4 nights in Asti and really enjoyed it. Piedmonte has fabulous food and we really enjoyed it. Asti was close to everything we wanted to see (and eat!) Have a great trip!
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 02:57 AM

Also look at Cherasco, which was among my favorite towns in Le Langhe. It is a small town, rather than a village, though.
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! We are going May 23- June 6. It is SO much fun looking at places to stay in Piedmont and about to narrow it down. BUT we still can't decide about our second week....help!
Old Oct 10th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Your trip isn't until May of next year. Why are you shouting for help? What kind of help do you imagine you need from people here? The differences between Umbria and the Dolomiti are not subtle in any way. They don't resemble each other in any way. If you don't know what the differences are, the best descriptions will be in a guidebook. If you already know what the differences are, think about which set of experiences would appeal to you more. But you hardly need to decide this year.
Old Oct 11th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Excuse me, I didn't mean to be "shouting". I clearly stated that we were at the early stages of planning our trip. It's has always been "fun" for me planning trips. Certainly didn't mean to "shout". I'll figure it out.