Picnic in Paris

Feb 18th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Picnic in Paris

English is not my language and for sure this is the reason that I do not understand you, when you ask about a picnic.

Can you please help me to improve my English? I use 'picnic" in Rumanian and Hebrew and the meaning is 'a meal eaten outdoors', more precise "eaten on green grass", in a park or so on.
However, I see that you use this word for eating in train, etc.
Is this use of the word 'picnic' correct?

Now, another question about picnic. I see that many Americans are interested in picnic in Paris: on a bridge, in a park, even in a cemetery. I never thought about this and I never wanted to do this. We went to picnic in Romania or we go in Israel to picnic in a holiday, in a weekend, in a park outside the town or in a wood. I never made a picnic in a town. Do you think that Parisian people (except maybe very young people do this?
I am very curious about this and I'll appreciate all your answers.

Feb 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Absolutely. A picnic is "any meal not eaten at home or in a restaurant."

Parisians and visitors alike will buy some bread, cheese, and wine from a store, or crepes or panini from a street vendor, and eat them in a park, on a bridge or (my favorite) on a bench along the river, like this: http://meg.hourihan.com/photos/2003/.../Thumbs/27.jpg. Some restaurants sell picnic baskets with their cuisine in them.

Google paris picnic and select "Images" and you can see for yourself.

By the way, your English is very good for a non-native speaker - much better than my Rumanian!
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM

To me, a picnic is any meal you put together yourself that's not in a traditional meal setting - like a cafe restaurant, or someone's home. It can be on a train, on a park bench, at the beach, in the parking lot of a football stadium, or anywhere.

I don't know that it's Americans in particular who like to picnic. I see people of all nationalities and ages all over Europe enjoying picnics.
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM

Yes, you should try and have a picnic in lovely spots in cities and towns. It is an easy and fun thing to do.
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:35 AM

In France (at least for a french person), apicnic is taken on a lawn or in a forrest (or on a beach).
The 'picnics' mentionned on this board seem typical to american tourists (Parisians - while they may eat a sandwich on a public bench, without calling this a picnic - would at least go for the large wooded parks at the outskirts of the city (bois de Vincenne, bois de Boulogne) to have a picinc)
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:37 AM

Interesting question. When people use the word "picnic" to be eaten on a train, they refer to the style of the meal. Packed ahead of time... some sandwiches, or bread and cold meat, fruits, and something to drink.

This is a common useage of the word, but technically not correct, because a picnic (according to the dictionary) is a meal to be eaten outdoors.
Feb 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Go the Parc des Buttes Chaumont and you will see many Parisians picnicking on the grass.

Search this Thread