Pickpockets in London/Urgent!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave tomorrow for London and taking 2 sixteen yr old girls. Have heard so much about pickpockets..am concerned. How much of a problem is this? I hate to have to worry and the girls are not city girls/street wise ( for that matter, neither am I) Please advise...
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Just came back from a week in London with teen and a 20-something daughters. We had no problem at all though we did keep our passports/tickets/most of our money in zippered fabric moneybelts that we kept tucked inside our clothing while just keeping what we needed for the day (cash, travel cards) in an inside pocket of jacket or backpack. We also tended to watch one another's backs (with backpacks) and, of course, never set belongings down and turned away. I understand that if there is a disturbance near you or someone brushes against you be aware that this could be a distraction caused specifically in order to pick your pocket. I've read this, it didn't happen to us.<BR><BR>Have a great time--we did!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:31 PM

PS We found that we got a excellent exchange rate using our ATM cards to get cash. Again, we shielded one another when entering PIN numbers and didn't use any machine that looked like it might have been tampered with.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Very easy:<BR><BR>Just make a conscious effort to be aware of your purse and pockets and personal belongings at all times, especially in crowded places or busy undergrounds.<BR><BR>Travel with bags that have secure closures or zippers (not open at the top, with wallet make-up and guidebook and massive brush poking out). Keep purse/bag where they can be seen. If you travel with backpacks just becareful and watch out for each other.<BR><BR>Don't travel with large wads of money, multiple credit cards and passports on day to day excursions. Keep them in hotel safe.<BR><BR>Two sixteen year olds are old enough to mind their own belongings. Just warn them, but don't let them stress about it!<BR><BR>Use common sense and you will decrease the RISK. <BR><BR>Sometimes bad things happen to good people, but just take precautions and ENJOY your vacation. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:41 PM

We were talking last night, and wondering if Europe did what Guiliani did in New York, really clamping down on all the theft (that naysayers said was impossible to thwart in New York City), if these petty thiefs would disappear?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 02:48 PM

Be careful on the subway. My time in London last year resulted in getting my fanny pack picked while on the subway. Whoever did it unzipped the top, small, pocket and took out my all-day subway pass - luckily I didn't have anything else of value in that pocket.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:06 PM

Don't use a fanny pack! If you insist use a money belt..I never use anything other than my regular purse..but I know how to safeguard it. And be aware and agressive if need be.<BR><BR>If you are worried about London ..you better never go to Rome!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
rnb607,<BR><BR>It's not a big problem. Don't sweat it too much and if you're not a city person, be a little more vigilent or your purse/bags.<BR><BR>You've received some good advice. Be aware of your surroundings and don't carry too much cash or many valuables in crowded and especially &quot;touristy&quot; areas. <BR><BR>Despite wren's bizarre notion that Guiliani can teach the entirety of Europe a thing or two about thwarting petty crime, you're no more likely to be pickpocketed in London than you are in large US cities. <BR><BR>Again, it's not a big problem in London. Don't let it spoil your good time.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:13 PM

oxbgirl..I didn't mean to imply that at all. (Shows how things get started!!)Just wanted to say that when mayors etc. get tough on petty crime, it seems to make a difference. My impression of NYC is that it is a much safer place than it used to be.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:20 PM

BTW, OBX,...Actually mayors from all over the US have studied what happened in NYC b/c it is so successful. A criminologist came up with the theory and son of a gun, it worked.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:23 PM
MHS

Wren - you are absolutely right about the crackdown on petty crime. I have said all along if Paris, Rome, etc. had the same attitude about pickpockets &amp; purse snatchers that Miami/NYC/etc. has it would be 100% more enjoyable.<BR><BR>Those who say &quot;don't sweat it&quot; are contributing to the problem IMHO.<BR>
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:48 PM

And how are those who say &quot;don't sweat it&quot; contributing to the problem?
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for good and reassuring advice. Sorry if it started a heated debate, but those are healthy every now and again. <BR>Excited to start our journey
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 04:00 PM
MHS

By not urging authorities to provide police presence and take a hard line on crime. By presenting a soft-on-crime, a &quot;we accept it; it's no big deal&quot; attitude that encourages authorities to ignore the problem.<BR><BR>Just imagine how fantastic those places would be if you didn't have to wear money belts &amp; watch every stranger that came too close,,etc etc etc -- all the very good suggestions we are constantly sharing here. <BR><BR>And it's not just a matter of large tourism -- have never heard a word either in media or from those who have gone -- about pickpockets at Disney. They deal with same type of crowds &amp; tourism on a year-round daily basis.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Just returned from London a few days ago and had no problems at all with pickpockets. I borrowed a backpack style purse from a friend--they're very popular w/women I saw on the Underground, but I only kept money in the front pockets of my pants and rarely very much currency. My husband carried the money belt w/a few credit cards, a travelers check &quot;just in case&quot; and some cash. The rest of our credit cards, passports, and money we kept in our hotel safe. Oh, and when in crowded places, I would loop the backpack so that I was holding it in front, because you never know who's behind you in a crowd!
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 05:53 PM

The original poster asked about pickpockets in London. <BR><BR>Good grief. Visiting London is not like visiting DisneyWorld and the comparison is bogus. The whole world would indeed by Fantacyland if<BR>every city had the same density security guards, custodians, food service personnel and overall happiness-makers that Disney employs.
Old Apr 13th, 2003, 09:03 PM

mb607===\<BR><BR>YES , there is a PROBLEM in the tube- going up and down the escalators--<BR>If your kids have a BACKPACK on,make them turn it around and wear it on the FRONT---<BR> <BR>My neice had her wallet and creditcards lifted by someone who was BEHIND her on the escaltor getting off the tube=<BR>the person in the front STOPPED at the top of the escaltor causing the person behind her to &quot;bump&quot; into her- HENCE, the back pack was PICKED...<BR><BR>Very real ,indeed --in London..<BR><BR>Wear a MONEY BELT UNDER your clothes.<BR>Do NOT keep anything in your handbag that you cannot afford to lose.<BR><BR>But Have a good time.....Just be aware of your surroundings.....
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 08:53 AM

mb607,<BR>I've been to London several times and have never encountered a pickpocket. I'm sure they're hanging around, but I use common sense and don't worry that much about them. I've never carried a money belt. If the hotel has a safe, I will use it for my passport &amp; anything else of importance. If no safe is available, I carry everything in my purse. I keep my purse zipped when out in public, in crowds or on the tube I will keep one hand on it. If you use common sense about your belongings you will be fine. I saw tons of backpacks being used, but I wouldn't carry one myself. It's not like pickpockets are lurking on every corner. Be safe, have a fun trip.
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:16 AM

My husband and I both grew up in London, and have lived in the States now for mnay years. <BR><BR>My hubby was totally shocked a couple of years ago when his wallet was lifted while we were on Waterloo Station. Mind you, he had it in his back pocket (probably because he was feeling &quot;at home&quot. He doesn't do that any more! <BR><BR>And sadly, that's the only place we have been pickpocketed of all the many places we've visited. Maybe we're more aware/watchful when not on &quot;home turf&quot;. So, just be sure to keep your wits about you and keep your stuff where you can see it. <BR><BR>I was in London this time last week -- the weather in England is great, everything greeen and blooming and beautiful. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 14th, 2003, 10:31 AM
rhtt

Obxgirl is correct - had zero problems in London - not a pickpocket in sight. With all the problems facing us, nice to see some normalcy rear its head.