Reload this Page >

Pickpocket worries in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Diann Wildes

The guidebooks all suggest extreme caution about pickpockets and petty thievery. Please give me all suggestions about keeping documents like plane tix safe. Do you keep them in your room locked in a bag, in the safe, or what? What about a walkman--my daughter will want to bring one; should it be kept locked up when not in use; will it be grabbed off her while walking?? I'm careful but usually not paranoid, though after reading the guides, I would like to know the reality. Thanks!!

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 07:22 AM
Paul

You can find numerous posts in the forum about pickpockets if you do a search. We always carried items such as plane tickets, cash, etc in money belts that are worn under our clothes. Or if there was a safe, we might lock them up. Pickpockets will look for tourists that have exposed items to steal. I guess that an exposed walkman might be a target but I would think that they would be after more valuble items. Again, do a search about gypsy pickpockets for more information.

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 07:48 AM
Ed

First, bear in mind that scare stories about theft in Rome are, for the most part, overblown. It's no less safe than anwhere else where tourists congregate, whether in Europe, Asia, or most certainly in the US. When people have their minds on other things besides their belongings the situation is ripe for theft, here, there and everywhere. <BR> <BR>We keep tickets locked up in a bag in the room or in the hotel safe along with any excess cash. We've never had anything stolen from a room in Europe over several dozen trips, but that doesn't mean a little caution isn't advisable. <BR> <BR>I wear a 'shoulder holster' type 'pocket' under my shirt. Julie usually wears one around her neck under the blouse. We keep passports in there along with credit card and large currency. (Some would prefer to keep their passport in the hotel safe.) We make even small bills as inaccessible as possible in our pockets. On the rare occasions when Julie wears a belt pack it goes in front, not the back. When we carry a day bag on the back we don't put expensive items like cameras in it. <BR> <BR>Watch out in crowds of tourists; watch out for groups of teen (and sub-teen) kids, especially girls. <BR> <BR>Much more on safety in Rome at www.twenj.com/romesafe.htm <BR> <BR>Pay attention to where you are and what's going on around you, but don't be fretful in a paranoid manner. <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 07:51 AM
Franco

Never give a chance to a group of kids (usualy under 10 or 12)to stay around you (specially gypsys). Leave your values in the safe at the hotel. You can use camera and walk-man, but keep them always in your hands or around your neck. If you stop at a bar for a drink (in an open area) don't rest your things on the table. Never put your wallet in a back pocket in your pants. Anayways Naples is worse. <BR>Have a good trip

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 08:43 AM
vosaski

We toured Italy for about three weeks last year. You won't find a Michelanglo in Swizerland or a Vinci in Germany. <BR>But the fact is, there are sharp elbows and worse in Italian cities. You can see the difference. Women in Switzerland walk about with an eviable nonchalance. Women don't wrap their purses around themselves as they do in Rome. You don't find taxi drivers trying to charge ten times the legal fare without any sense of guilt. You don't have tour guides in Frankfurt warning you of thiefing youngsters. You're not attacked by a team of women and small children.

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Bob

Ed, the above poster, is incorrect about the pickpockets. We go to Europe about one or two times a year. Rome is the worst town for this type of thing. Be on the lookout for young girls nursing babies and asking for food or handouts. They usually travel in pairs. They are pickpockets. Leave anything you can in your hotel safe and be on the alert at all times. Another tip: If they do nail you, call your credit card company FIRST and then the cops. A friend of mine did the opposite and called the card company second after spending 45 minutes on a worthless police report. The pickpockets had already put over $14000 on his card in only 45 minutes. Trust me: Rome is the training ground for all the pickpockets of Europe. You feel as if you have a bullseye on your American back. Other than than, it's a great city.

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Kristin

Hi all... <BR> <BR>Just wanted to say that after returning from a continental tour this week, I avoided pickpockets by using a money belt. I worry about leaving things in the hotel safe here and there for the simple reason that you may forget about them... I know it sounds ridiculous but it happened to a lady in our group. I would say carry all important documents and all money except what you need for the day (and can afford to lose without any hardship) in a concealed money belt (or they have them that go around your neck) this way your important stuff is out of sight, and you can enjoy your vacation without worry! <BR> <BR>Kristin

Old Jun 10th, 2000, 11:55 AM
Richard

Diann, First let me say Italy is our favorite country. However, scams abound, not only pickpockets (mostly crowds of young kids surrounding you to divert your attention, best remedy is to YELL at them to get away and swat a few). Watch for the slow count, in the post office, Metro and museum ticket counters. Know the price of the ticket,it will be posted, know how much you're giving and wait for ALL the change to be returned. Security pouch is good, worn under your clothes. Take copies of your passport and airline tix.We've been to Rome 6 or 8 times, ripped off once, at the Termini. 7:00AM, we were catching an early train to Venice because we found the rail workers were striking that day, I'm pulling our roll-aboard up the stairs, guy comes down the escalator and dumps spaghetti sauce on the back of my jacket. I'm unaware, 2nd guy says "mister, are you hurt" and offers me a kleenex to clean up. Meanwhile, my wife is at the top of the stairs, hears the guy and thinks I'm bleeding, puts down our carry-on to help me and of course 3rd guy takes off with our carry-on, lost all our dirty laundry and toiletries. Moral, be careful, not paranoid, it is a beautiful city.

Old Jun 11th, 2000, 10:38 AM
Diann Wildes

Thank you all so much for your timely and interesting replies...I will take them to heart. As I am a teacher of young children with a bit of a soft heart I will have to resolve to get tough with those wiley younguns roaming Rome!!

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 08:40 PM
Robin

Hi-- <BR> <BR>Thought you might like to hear about my parents' experience in Rome. On their first trip my dad had his wallet stolen. No great tragedy, but an annoying inconvenience. On their second trip, last year, they were approached by several young boys (early teens). My dad says he knew without even thinking it consciously what was happening. He was naturally irritated to think that he would be targeted again. One boy had some sort of distraction, a newspaper or something, and before he knew it, another had reached into his pocket. But he realized what was happening and grabbed the kid's wrist. This kid had already passed the wallet to the third! In the meantime, my mom, my nice, suburban, 60-something mom, had gotten the original boy in a HEADLOCK!!! For whatever reason, the only boy they weren't holding on to, the one who had the wallet, didn't run, so they were able to get him to drop it. Then all three kids ran away. It was a small victory though-- as their bus left the area, they saw the same group of kids lurking around some more tourists. But it did make their reputation among the college kids they were travelling with!

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 02:41 AM
mary

We just returned from Italy---- we had absolutely no problems with pickpockets etc....... We felt very safe--probably safer than most American cities. We left our passports in the hotel safe, along with plane tickets etc.. We also made copies of all our important documents prior to leaving and kept them in a separate place. I was careful with my purse across my chest--and my husband kept his wallet in his front pocket-- we were always aware of the people around us-- taxi drivers never tried to rip us off in fact they were actually very accommodating!! <BR>Enjoy your trip and just keep a keen eye around you!! <BR>Mary

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 03:33 AM
Anne

Hi Diann, My father recently had his wallet picked out of his front shorts pocket on the Metro out of Termini Station in Rome. A woman carrying a baby in a front carrier (Snugli) leaned the baby into him while passing, then reached in for his wallet. No cash taken, 2 cards that he cancelled immediately, misc notes; mostly annoying, inconvenient. He didn't realize it until they got to their stop, and they don't recall the woman staying on the train. They kept other cards, tickets, in the safe in their room at Santa Chiara Hotel. Aside from that one incident, my parents loved their trip!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 03:41 AM
lola

I've posted many times about my pursesnatchings and pickpocketing problems in Rome and Barcelona. This forum is at its best for subjects like this, and to make you aware. Everytime I see a tourist in Italy wearing a purse that can be snatched I think "They have not been on Fodors.com!" <BR>

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 04:28 AM
Diann

Oops, think my original thanks got lost, but wish to say that we recently returned from an absolutely delightful stay in Rome and environs with no pickpocket worries at all!!! Despite the many postings on this subject, we had no contact with anyone who looked the least bit like a thief...there was one little boy on the Metro who was soundly bawled out by the Roman matron next to me...we saw a few young mothers passively begging in doorways, but other than that, nothing anywhere else, including Termini. The sites all include a discreet police presence, and we wandered everywhere at all hours, feeling nothing but secure. A wonderful visit!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 09:04 AM
kam

We were approached by a group of young girls in Florence. We immediately started shouting and made threatening gestures like we were going to hit them. That said, we are careful--I do carry a purse for everything but money and valuables and keep my hand on it at all times. I want to make the point that I see much of the same behavior in San Francisco where nice tourists with their minds elsewhere dangle their shoulder bags off the side of the cable cars. You have to be careful everywhere if you are obviously a tourist!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:30 PM
tom

I hope this does not come across as offensive or insulting ...but are the reports from the pickpocket victims here, disproportionately from "older" folks (i.e. 60-ish or older in appearance) ?? <BR> <BR>oftentimes older folks are perceived as more vulnerable ...they may not sprint after the pickpocket, may not tackle him/her, & may not open a can of "whup ass" onto the perpetrator ...Robin's mom excluded !! <BR> <BR>I mean ...I'm youngish middle aged, look like I *would* sprint after a perp, resent people intruding into my "personal space", & I just wouldn't put up with a lot of the "pressing" & "feeling" that goes on ...I think those around me can usually sense that I would not be a "pushover". <BR> <BR>('course, there always a 1st time!)

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:48 AM
Dawn

This subject comes up every so often and its always the same. Rome, Naples, Barcelona and Paris are always remarked on their pickpocketing and street crime levels, way up over many other european cities. While a disportionate number of people that get hit are older, this dosen't change the statistics of these crimes. Not every thief looks like a thief. Just because you went to Rome and never felt threatened or at risk does not dissipate the risk. My husband who is from Italy and is quite strapping has been accosted or shall I say attempted to be accosted. On every trip I've ever taken, someone I know has been victimized. While I agree with all that Italy is a fabulous country with much to see, this problem is a very real and unfortunate downside. I do not agree with those posters who say that its the same risks associated with any american city. While you must practice caution anywhere you are, and its perceived more so in a city, I've never seen the constant hussle that seems to be going on. Be thankful if you haven't been hit. Take the advice from many of the posters on this subject. Practice caution. And don't ever let your guard down.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Anna

No one should travel to Rome or any other large city for that matter without wearing a money belt. If you don't have a wallet or purse showing, the thief will move on to the next tourist who is an easier target. If you really want to carry a wallet, only carry a days worth of spending money in it, but keep all credit cards, money, and important documents in a money belt.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 08:48 AM
Diann

I did come to Rome wearing a neck bag holding my credit and bank card, but abandoned that idea in favor of my shoulder bag, which is well set up with zippers, etc. I never had reason to fear that someone was going to get into it, although of course I remained alert. I live in a "desirable" American urban-suburban area and can report that in the last three years, my house has been robbed; my tenant's car has been broken into; two of my colleagues who are professors had their purses either taken or robbed from their very classrooms during class...one of my students had a break in while she was sleeping in her dorm room; another student's cousin was murdered; I'm afraid I could go on and on. Europe to me has always seemed a bastion of safety in comparison; perhaps I haven't travelled enough there to have had a negative incident. In Italy my husband wore a belt bag; my children, 11 and 16, carried nothing. They kept asking me when we were going to see all the gypsy children who were going to accost us! I did find it interesting that locals thought I was another nationality other than American; perhaps there is something to the notion that some visitors are more visible....or else we just didn't look prosperous enough to bother with! At any rate, be alert just like you would in any big city, but not overly worried and fearful!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 10:17 AM
Carol

We were in Italy in May/June and for the first time ever on a trip did not wear a money belt. I never felt threatened in any way. We did leave our passports and airline tickets in the safe in hotel room. To be honest, in all the years of traveling in Europe, we have never had any problems with pickpockets, except for one time in Oxford street, London. When in Europe I always feel far safer than I do at home, but then maybe living in South Africa has something to do with it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -