Search

Picking up BMW in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 12:54 PM
ehc
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up BMW in Germany

I was wondering if anyone has picked up a BMW in Germany, driven it around & then shipped it back to the USA?

What was your experience like when doing this?

Were there any problems or expenses that you encountered that were not anticipated or that you were not informed about?

Did your European delivered BMW meet USA (MA) auto emissions standards?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 01:07 PM

This question has come up several times in the past. This is on my wish list, so I read the related posts. If you type BMW into the "Search This Forum" box at the top of your page, you can retrieve all the past BMW messages from the archives. I just did this and found that the 45th, 54th, 64th and 132nd messages all have information you may be able to use. I didn't go back any further than that. Post a report if you decide to do this.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 01:18 PM

We did it this summer. It was fairly easy to pick up the car. We got into munich, went to the hotel, found the metro that stopped a couple blocks from the BMW pickup area...It took maybe an hour to get the car. While we were waiting we could have free lunch at their little "bistro". The drop off was in another place. We took a bus and metro back to the hotel...again very easy and quick. The main problem is waiting for the car to come to the states. It took 4-5 weeks. We leased the BMW and did get a cheaper lease...and depending on the model you order you save money on the car. You get full insurance for 30 days if you lease and I think 3 months?? if you buy the BMW...so if you have any accident while in europe your car will be totally repaired. It was also great driving the BMW around...alot of fun.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:26 PM
ehc
Original Poster

Thanks Betsy & cparris for your responses.

Cparris - I did do a search, but I thought I would ask the question again in case anything had changed from the responses of last year. Thanks again.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:53 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
If you go to this site: http://townhall.edmunds.com/TH/townhall then to the BMW forum, the the 3-series boards (whether or not you're considering a 3xx, you'll see a thread entitled BMW Owners: European Delivery. (I'd paste the URL but it's a zillion lines long.) Tons of info on others' experiences in ED for bimmers. There's a similar thread at Bimmerfest, http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/

All the cars delivered in Germany (or other cities for a fee) are US-specification vehicles. Shipping and temporary German plates are included in the cost, but be sure you understand the insurance terms for while you're buzzing around. You buy the car through a US dealer for around 7% off the sticker (you can save lots more if you read the "prices paid" threads on the links above). 4 weeks shipping to the east coast, 6 to the west, so don't trade in your old car before you go. The car is delivered to the selling dealer where you pick it up.

Saab, Volvo, Porsche and Mercedes have similar programs, although the BMW and Volvo savings and benefits seem the best. Volvo throws in 2 plane tickets most of the time, though, for your trip to Goteborg.

It's easy and it's a blast.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 05:23 PM

We picked up our 525I in Germany in June 2002. A wonderful experience.

Before you decide to go with this program, you need to do some homework. There are basically four types of costs for the car:

a. Dealer MSRP - that's what you pay if you go straight to the dealer, plus whatever he marks up the car.

b. Dealer Cost - what the dealer paid for the car.

c. European Delivery MSRP. What the dealer in the U.S. will sell you the car for if you pick it up in Germany.

d. European Delivery Cost - What it costs the dealer in the U.S. to purchase the car on the European Delivery Program.

Everything is U.S. Specs.

Here's a web site that will show you the 2004 MSRP's. It doesn't show the Costs, but if you look at the 2003's, it will give you some idea of cost/MSRP.

http://www.eurobuyers.com/

We bought ours at $1500 over European Delivery Costs, saving us about $4500. It more than paid for the trip to Munich/vacation.

There's one slight catch. You have to find a dealer that will sell you the car for that price utilizing their inventory allowance. We live in Central NJ, and had to go up to the dealership we purchased the car from in Utica, NY to pick up the car when it arrived in the U.S. It cost us an extra $100.00 train ride up there.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 10:47 PM

If you are getting the GPS option, ask if they can fit you with a temporary European GPS version to use during your time in Europe.
My father-in-law bought his 2003 Volvo XC70 through the overseas program and Volvo gave him a "loaner" Euro GPS system while he was in Europe and then replaced it with the North America version before the car was shipped home.
(P.S. 4 to 5 weeks was a short wait! My father-in-law had to wait nearly 5 months--the ship that was carrying his new Volvo and 3000 other Volvos, Saabs and BMWs, sank off the Belgian coast, taking all those new cars down with it.)
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 11:30 PM

ehc,

this is the ONLY I buy my BMW's that go to the U.S. The thrill of high speeds on the Autobahn and BIG savings (i.e. thuousands) over the SAME car you would purchase on a U.S. car lot.

budman's comments/suggestions are dead on, the best place to start is the wholesale European Deliver pricing list at www.eurobuyers.com.
then, bimmerfest.com/forums has a special forum on this topic.

I really find the NAV useful in Europe (It's more accurate than in the U.S., in my experiences).

If you have any questions and want to post your email address, I'll do my best to answer them.

Trust us, you'll NEVER regret this experience!

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 11:32 PM

two more points.

2004 pricing should be available this month.

if you get the NAV, the delivery center will loan you for free a copy for use during your travels. All you have to do is promise to send it back at the end of your journey.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:10 AM

Caution: Inventory removeable equipment; spare tire, tools, radio and etc.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:32 AM

Hi

If you want to check out the price level and selection you can check out sites like http://www.autoscout24.de/ and http://www.mobile.de

Regards
Gard
www.gardkarlsen.com
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 12:35 AM

GSteed,

I don't understand what you mean. Spare tire, tool box and car jack almost always make it safely to the U.S. Although I have heard a story or two of a spare being stolen on the way, BMW will ALWAYS replace it, since that's part of the contract. When you pick the car up after it reaches the U.S., it's just like picking up the car brand new--accept for a few miles being on the car.

Even if you wreck or dent the car in Europe, it will be fixed and returned to you in new condition at no charge.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 05:18 AM

Additionally, I turned in my car to the shipping agent in Munich with less than 1/4 tank of gas (gas is expensive in Europe). When I picked up the car it had a full tank.

My only disappointment during the whole ordeal was the factory representative telling me not to push the engine over 4000 RPM for the first 1800 or so miles. In 5th gear, that limited me to 100 MPH.