Picking a play in London

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking a play in London

During an upcoming June trip, we'll be seeing Mama Mia in London. Now, I'm looking for a non-musical to see as well. My wife and I will be with our two teenage daughters who are quite excited about the theatre nights. Any suggestions for a non-musical that they would like? I got Mama Mia tickets from ticketmaster and had them in my hands in just a few days! Great service.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:12 PM

My vote is for Complete Works of Shakespeare Abridged. We took our 2 kids (16 & 21) there & we all loved it. It was hilarious. We bought our tickets at the TKTS booth in London. You can go to the Reduced Shakespeare Co (UK) website to get info on the play. They also do several other plays that should be equally funny.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:47 PM

What about the new production of "When Harry Met Sally" with Luke Perry? Have you looked at the www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk website?
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:54 PM

I loved seeing Julius Ceasar at the Globe Theatre a few years ago. My experience was that the play was really alive, with audience participation, in a small theatre, where there were no bad seats. I would really recommend seeing a production at the Globe - I think even teenagers would enjoy it.
Martha
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Good advice on the CW of Shakespeare--VERY FUNNY! Also went to the new Globe for a fantastic show, Taming of the Shrew, with an all-female cast! Tough to get tickets, but a great venue!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 10:46 PM

Re. "When Harry Met Sally", much as I love Allison Hannigan - it's gotten very bad reviews. Neither star is up to the West End stage, it seems.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

http://www.straughan.com
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 11:16 PM

I vote for Phantom of the Opera. I am going to see it when I am there in May. Enjoy!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

I saw that When Harry Met Sally was there, but also noticed it got some bad reviews. Something at the Globe might be just the ticket!

Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Regarding the bad reviews for When Harry Met Sally: I haven't seen the show, so I can't say. But name a play in the London's West End starring American TV actors that DID get a good review. One would hardly expect it.
Basically I wasn't aware that the two teenage girls in question were such theatre critics that they would be that aware of brilliant acting as opposed to average acting. Most teenage girls would be more impressed by the people in the show than the show itself.

The Globe is a good choice too! And Complete Works of Shakespeare is a hoot (just don't substitute the Unabridged History of America play instead)!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:52 AM
pj

We saw When Harry me Sally, it is a no brainer funny show. Luke puts his own spin, which is good. [how do you compete with Billy Crystal] Allison is trying to be Meg Ryan too much. Three of us ladies went to it, we enjoyed it for what it is! PJ
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 06:58 AM

A site I have used many times and which is
very helpful and full of reviews/information
is www.albemarle-london.com. While they
do offer a booking service, it is not necessary to use it. All of the current
entertainment in London is listed by category, e.g. plays, musicals, opera, concerts, etc. There is a section on "news",
which includes upcoming openings. Each
play/musical, etc. is descibed in detail, (including reviews), which will help you decide what best fits your likes/dislikes.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:23 PM

>But name a play in the London's West End
> starring American TV actors that DID get
> a good review.

This is Our Youth. Two years ago with Jake Gyllenhaal, Hayden Christensen & Anna Paquin.

Keith
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:09 AM

Don't waste money on When Harry Met Sally. IMHO the reason that it's gotten bad reviews is that it's BAD. The only good part (besides the final curtain) were the film clips shows through the show. Just not worth seeing!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Keith, I'm not sure who those first people even are. Are they TV actors? Anna Paquin is a superb movie and stage actress. I'm not sure if she's ever appeared on television. My statement still stands for a definitive answer.