Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Piazzale Michelangelo or Fiesole for lunch and views?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling from Venice to Castellini in Chianti. If the weather is nice, I was thinking about stopping for lunch and beautiful views of Florence in Fiesole or Piazzale Michelangelo.

Can we drive to Piazzale Michelangelo, or is it inside that dreaded traffic zone?

Suggestions as to restaurants?
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 02:27 PM

http://www.florence-journal.com/flor...-florence.html

This map shows the Piazzale outside the ZTL, but you would have to plan your approach carefully. It has been too many years since I was at that restaurant up there. I don't even know if it still exists or is any good.
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 06:14 PM

You can drive to Piazzale Michaelangelo and the parking is free. There will be a lot of tourists there as the view is terrific. There are some places to eat there too. You come for the view not the food.

here is a link about Fiesole, which is a real town with some interesting sites as well as a view.

goitaly.about.com/od/fiesole/a/Fiesole.htm
Old Jul 26th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Driving is an option. Parking is free. Whether the dining options are acceptable is another question.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 05:29 AM
ira

Hi w,
Fiesole is a small town. Parking is difficult to find.

You can park free at Piazzale Michaelangelo.

The number 12 and 13 buses (one goes clockwise and the other counterclockwise) will take you to the FSMN Train station (Stazione).

From there, the No. 7 bus takes you to Fiesole.

I suggest lunch at the terrace of the Bar Bleu overlooking the city.

The bus route map is at http://mappery.com/map-of/Florence-ATAF-Bus-Line-Map
The timetables are at http://www.ataf.net/en/ataf.aspx?idC=2&LN=en-US

It will take about 0:40 - 1 hr from PM to F.

The 12 and 13 buses both give you a pleasant ride through town.

Beware of pickpockets.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 27th, 2012, 09:06 AM

Ira,

Just wondering if your warning about the pickpockets refers to Fiesole, the buses, or just in general?

Thanks.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 09:28 AM

Piazzale Michelangelo in sunset is one of the best experiences we had in 15 days in Italy.

You may take a look at my blog. It's in portuguese, but there are pictures and videos that show everything you need to take your decision:

http://luademochila.com/2011/11/05/t...e-de-florenca/
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

ira, can't find any imformation or website for Bar Bleu?

luademochila, great photos, really got me in the mood!

I think we'll take our chances that we can find parking at Fiesole ~ since we will be "in transit" from Venice to Chianti, I don't want the extra travel time from PM to F. Would rather spend some time wandering around Fiesole.

Any other suggestions for lunch? La Reggia degli Etruschi? TA likes, menu looks good.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 12:38 PM

I went to Fiesole seeking views over Florence and spend an hour or so not finding them - they do exist but it is not obvious - I think you may have to trek on foot from the town center car park. I did enjoy the views over Tuscany to the north from Fiesole - from the archeological site area.
Old Jul 27th, 2012, 01:02 PM

The easiest place to park is Piazzale Michelangelo. The best view and best ambience is Fiesole. I have never eaten at PM but there are a couple of restaurants in Fiesole with terraces overlooking the city that serve pleasant lunches. There will be many more tourists at PM but if you are in a bit of a hurry it is more convenient.
Old Jul 28th, 2012, 05:51 AM
ira

Hi M,

>wondering if your warning about the pickpockets refers to Fiesole, the buses, or just in general?<

Yes
Hi W,
> can't find any imformation or website for Bar Bleu?

Try "Blue Bar, Fiesole"

Old Aug 5th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

I think we can do both! We'll stop in Fiesole for lunch on the way from Venice to Chianti, and stop at Piazzale Michelangelo after our day spent in Florence, hopefully at sunset. Our tour guide for Florence recommended parking at Firenze SMN and according to Google Maps it's only about a 10 minute drive from SMN to PM.

Question for parking at Firenze SMN ~ how do we pay? Credit card? Cash/coins, bills? When we leave? Before or after we park?
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 08:04 AM

We found that some cities and towns in Italy have websites that clearly indicate parking choices with hours and costs, etc.
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 08:08 AM

This looks like a good site for parking in Florence : http://www.visitflorence.com/florenc...-florence.html
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 05:54 PM

here is a website with info on parking in Florence
the garage at SMN is pricey. A ten minute drive on a map may take more time depending on traffic and the actual route. make sure you are not attempting to drive through the ZTL area.

http://www.visitflorence.com/florenc...-florence.html
Old Aug 5th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Just my opinion, so take with a grain of salt.

The views from PM are really lovely, the piazza itself, OK.

Drive up to Fiesole very pretty, but only if it is a perfect, bright day, will the views be good. If it is overcast or misty or gray day, it is not worth the time. Terraces are pretty, but food is overpriced. Would not go out of my way to stop there unless I especially wanted to see the archeological stuff. Might take a picnic if I could. I had read so much about Fiesole and the great views, but (hard as it is for me to say) I was a bit disappointed. I would look for another place for lunch.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Sassafras, if less than clear weather, do you have any suggestions for a lunch stop when driving from Venice to Castellina in Chianti? We will have breakfast at our Hotel before we check out, so maybe a charming town with fun shops to stock up on some goodies for our apartment in Chianti.

I emailed our Tour Guide about options other than SMN, it definitely is more expensive. What about the Sansovino - apparently a Tram stop right there, will take us into SMN area

maxima & uhoh_busted, great map!
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

How small is the parking lot at Piazzale Michelangelo? Apparently parking there is free, and since we want to end up there, maybe a good place to park?

We're supposed to meet our Tour Guide at 8AM at Galleria dell'Accademia, and Google says we can walk from Piazzale Michelangelo to Demidoff-Ginger Lily, and take bus 23 to Pucci stop, 3min walk to Galleria dell'Accademia.

Is it a safe place to leave a car? Do you think we would have any problems getting a spot at 7:00 to 7:15 on a Thursday morning end of September?
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Apparently this is not a good idea as Piazzale Michelangelo is apparently set up for short term parking and some people have found their cars clamped or gone.

Another thought from TA ~ What about parking in the pay lot for Porta Romana ~ 1 min walk to Calza 02, take the 11 bus towards Salviatino (20 min) get off at Ricasoli and a 3 min walk to meet our Tour Guide.

I am looking for an easy parking area to get into and out of Florence from Castellina in Chianti, and it seems to make sense for it to be fairly close to Piazzale Michelangelo if we want to go there at sunset.
Old Aug 6th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Whatever you plan, be sure to have a back up plan, as sometimes there may be construction that closes off or severly limits your first choice, or a conference or convention in the area you planned to park on that particular day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -