Reload this Page >

Piazza Navona or Aventine?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:23 AM
Lisa

If you had a choice to stay either near Piazza Navona or on the Aventine (saving about $250 over a ten day period), where would you stay and why? I would love to hear experiences from those who have stayed on the Aventine. <BR> <BR>It seems that both areas have their pros and cons. By staying near Piazza Navona you are in the historical center and are within walking distance to many of the major sights; but from what I understand, it is also more "touristy" and noisy. By staying on the Aventine do you get more of a taste of the "real Rome?" It's quieter, but you are further removed from many of Rome's sights. Does anyone know how long it takes to walk from the Aventine to the Pantheon for instance? Thanks!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:35 AM
Dale

Lisa: <BR>Stayed on the Aventine a couple of weeks ago. It is somewhat remote from what most of us seek in Rome. Its quiet (for Rome). I believe that the walk from Aventino to Piazza Navona was twenty or so minutes. If you are near either Circo Massimo or Piramide you can use the Metro for speed and convenience. Ciao.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 09:56 AM
KT

I personally would probably stay on the Aventine, but I'd recommend that you stay near Piazza Navona. Huh? Well, I've already been to Rome a number of times, stayed in the more central bustling areas, and done masses of sightseeing. So I wouldn't mind the peace and quiet of the Aventine, which is quite a lovely area, this time. But if, as I assume, this is your first time in Rome (and I apologize if I'm mistaken), I think being near Piazza Navona would be more exciting -- just step out of your hotel and you're pretty much in the heart of things. The area isn't touristy in the sense of being devoted solely to tourism, though there are lots of tourists there. (Boy, is that convoluted or what?) <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 11:12 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Lisa Would stay near <BR>the Pza Navona, because you are in <BR>walking distance for most of the places <BR>of Rome, <BR>15 mins to the Forum and Colesso. <BR>15 to 20 mins to Square of St. Peters <BR>5 mins to the Rotunda. <BR>10 mins to the Trevi Fountain <BR>15 mins to the bottom of the Spanish <BR>Steps. <BR>15 mins to the bottom of the via Veneto. <BR> <BR>There are many shops and ristorantes around, if you want a list of ones which <BR>we have used over the years drop me a line and will send it to you. <BR> <BR> <BR>You can always request a rear room where <BR>there will be much less street noises, <BR>however personally like the noise and <BR>some of the people watching it allows. <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Lisa

Okay, I've got some more information about the place on the Aventine. It's a guest house called the Armenian House and is on via Aventino, about 50 meters from San Anselmo. I don't know much about it though (I know someone who is studying to be a priest in Rome and he knows the owner of this place and has arranged a very good price). However, I'm still not sure if it's worth it to stay here and save some money or stay near Piazza Navona and be in the middle of everything. If this is a really nice area on the Aventine, it might be worth it. I know there are some old villas in the area. Anyone familiar with this street and area around San Anselmo? Are the buildings old or more 20th century? I'd really like to stay in an area with a lot of character - I want to *know* I'm in Rome. <BR> <BR>BTW, This is technically my third trip to Rome, but the first one was on a group tour and the second time was one day during a cruise. So, this feels more like a first trip since we are doing it independently. It is my husband's first trip to Rome. We are going to be there December 29-January 8. <BR> <BR>Thank you for all your comments!

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 11:25 AM
GAC

The Aventino is a particularly appealing neighborhood of central Rome for its quietness, cleanliness, and upscale residential feel. It also has decent views of the city, particularly towards the Gianicolo Hill and the Vatican (there is also the famous "keyhole view" of St. Peter's Dome from the keyhole of the iron gate to the Embassy of Malta). Many U.N. personnel who work at the nearby FAO live here. When in Rome, I flee here to escape the constant noise of the Via del Corso and vicinity. However, the Aventino's lack of proximity and restaurants and poor transportation options (apart from taxis) will make you feel disadvantaged compared to the much more central, practical (also touristy and noisier) area of Piazza Navona/Piazza della Rotonda. If you want to do much after dark, you may have to take a cab back to your hotel on the Aventino, as the walk is over 30 minutes.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Gerry

It might help if you got an exact address and got a Rome map to see where you are in relation to Rome sights. In the Aventine there is the Lungotevere Aventino, the Via Aventina and the Viale Aventino. Only the first one is close to San Anselmo. The Aventine is a very beautiful area with some very old churches and other sights. It's the quietest area in central Rome. It's on a big hill that makes walking difficult. There is a Metro station(beware of pickpockets.) on the Aventine side of the Circus Maximus. <BR>Downside: fewer restaurants; farther away from the main tourist sites. For 10 days, I would have no problem staying there as you have allowed yourself enough time to relax and enjoy. <BR>Here's the deal: You will have to "commute" to most main sights. 20 to 30 minutes each way. You will want to go to your hotel during siesta hours(1-4) to rest up, change cloathes etc. This will mean 4 trips per day. Expensive if you take a cab. Cheap but time consuming on public transit. The way I look at it, I divide the usable hours in the day (I figure 12 hours) by how much it is costing be per day for the trip. eg. $240/day=$20 per hour. If you spend 2 hours commuting that's worth $40 of my time per day. This is not an exact science but it helps to better understand time vs money savings. <BR>To further confuse you, I would consider this. You don't have to stay in the same place for the whole 10 days. For example, you might stay near Piazza Navona (where the action is)for say 3 nights and then stay on the Aventine(where its quieter) for the rest of the time. That way you could "have your cake and eat it too." Otherwise, I would trust your seminarian friend to have made a good choice. <BR>I second GAC's comments of the Knights of Malta villa/a very special place. And, you will also see things is this neighborhood that most Rome tourists don't find. <BR>Have a great time planning and on your trip. <BR> <BR>Gerry

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Lisa

I am assuming that this place is on viale Aventino since the name of it is Albanian House and there is a Piazza Albania on viale Aventino. According to the two maps that I have (Streetwise and Eyewitness), San Anselmo is technically about 50 meters away using the scale on the Streetwise map. I've tried doing searches for Piazza Albania, but I haven't found much in English. It seems to be a place for some government buildings and businesses, I think. <BR> <BR>I have a tough decision to make. Either be in the heart of historical Rome, or go off the tourist-beaten path and stay in a guest house run by a Roman family.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Lisa

I made a HUGE mistake on my last post. The name of the place is the Armenian House. No relation to the Piazza Albania. I'm suffering from a cold and on medication. Sorry.