Reload this Page >

Photography: Museums, Cathedrals Is it allowed ...general information

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 09:19 PM
Jim

This is our first trip to Paris and we would like to be able to capture as much of the city on film as possible. Are you allowed to take pictures in the cathedrals and museums? Will be taking 2 cameras; 1 for inside locations and 1 for scenery. What film speed would you take that would cover most situations? Not an accomplished photographer, obviously, but would like to get some pictures that we will enjoy upon return home. I would appreciate any help you could offer. Jim

Old Jan 15th, 1999, 10:25 PM
Donna

We took photos in all the museums churches. I do not recall anywhere this was not allowed. In most, however, flash is not permitted. So, it's good to have a camera that enables you to turn off the flash. I have one of those cameras that turns itself off, and when turned back on, I kept forgetting to turn the flash off again, hence a severe finger wagging in the Musee d'Orsay from a guard. My flash also went off in front of the Mona Lisa, which ruined the shot (it's encased in plexi-glass and the flash reflected) but I wasn't arrested. Anyway, I took only one camera and all 400 film and this was just fine indoors and out, even in low light and at night. My shots of the stained glass windows at Notre Dame and Sainte Chappelle are awesome. I read that it's best to go to these two places mid-morning toward noon on a sunny day when the sunlight is streaming in, and this was excellent advice. Now, there's the new "adjustable" film, which I suppose is even better. Even so, next time, I think I'll take a few rolls of 1000 for distance night shots outdoors. A few of mine could have been just a bit more sharp (hands just aren't steady enough). If you plan to take a boat ride down the Seine (take the boats that leave from the other side of the bridge at the Tour Eiffel, not the Bateaux Mouches), try to go when the sun is right overhead to avoid shadows (and the sun in your eyes). One thing I found really handy is a tiny, flexible, tripod which screws onto the bottom of your camera. This is a huge advantage when taking photos of individual paintings in the museums without flash. It can be placed on a rail, car roof, steadied against yourself. Be sure to take twice as much film as you think you'll need (it's very expensive over there) and extra batteries. Have lots of extra film and your spare batteries when you head out every day. But, be sure to peruse the postcards everywhere you go. These are taken under perfect conditions with no one in the way (for some reason, lots of folks like to be IN their pictures, and I never did get a shot of the Winged Victory without tourists in front of it). I always mix the postcards in with my own photos when assembling my album and you wouldn't know the difference. Be prepared to take your time and become a bit frustrated if you are serious about lots of photos. In addition to the tourists, blocking your view will be tour buses and lots of large vehicles and traffic. One of the best photo ops in all of Paris is the rooftop terrace at La Samaritaine department store. Go to Magazin II (Store #2), take the elevator to the ninth floor. When the doors open, look across and to your left for a door to a staircase. Go up one flight to the "cafe" (snack bar). Around the corner is another staircase to the roof. Spectacular panoramic views of all of Paris (from a high, but not too high vantage point). Be sure to have someone snap YOUR photo with the Tour Eiffel, Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame...behind you. You'll treasure it always. If you are going to the top of the Tour Eiffel (highly recommend), try to pick a clear day and go well before dusk (in case there's a line). This is when the light is the most beautiful. Stay until dark when the lights have gone on all over the city. Absolutely magical. Not to worry, the third level is much larger than it looks from the ground and you won't be bored. Over the years, I have learned to take photos that "tell a story". So, be sure to include shots of your hotel, every place you eat (inside and out)- almost always the waiter or someone nearby will offer to take your picture if you have your camera along, and whenever you're enjoying sitting in an outdoor cafe, the passing parade. One day, we were passing some time at a sidewalk table before our dinner reservation. A young father with his infant daughter in a pouch on his chest passed by with a wire foldup grocery basket on wheels. A few minutes later, he passed by again with his cart loaded with litres of Evian. My husband wondered out loud why he "needed all that water?" I had read in a tour guide that French mothers favor Evian for baby formula. I didn't think to snap a photo, but wish I had. So, don't forget to capture the PEOPLE as well as the city - groups of school children, the produce vendor setting up his stand, the shop keeper perfectly rearranging the merchandise, waiters in their aprons standing cross-armed, the newstand clerk, the kids on roller blades and skateboards at Palais de Chaillot with the Tour Eiffel in the background. We visited Versailles and took dozens of photos. But, while at the Conciergerie, I was so incredulous at the contrast between Marie Antoinnette's "boudoir" and endless gardens at Versailles and her cell and "garden" here that I completely forgot to snap a picture. So, be alert! Don't forget the windows with the wrought iron trim and overflowing flower boxes, the statues in the squares, the street performers, the fountains, the ceilings everywhere. I highly recommend learning to use the buses, as you get to enjoy the scenery all along the way. I got fabulous shots out the windows traveling through neighborhoods we did not stop and visit. Although, some of the metro stations are awesome. The tile walls at Bastille, for example. And, at the airport, be sure to look for a wonderful paperback of Paris photos (about $6). You'll be amazed at what you missed.

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 06:01 AM
Jim

Donna, what a wonderful reply. Thank you for taking the time to supply us with the many great suggestions. It is nice to know that photographs are permitted in all the museums and cathedrals (with out flash). It is just amazing how people respond and offer their help.....thanks, again. Jim

Old Jan 16th, 1999, 06:24 AM
Monica

Well Jim, how can one provide more information than what Donna did. I too enjoyed reading her response. <BR> <BR>Only one thing I can add about photography (and I'm not an expert) is when taking photos in darker areas such as museums or Cathedrals is to lean against a wall or pole and use your timer on the camera. I count down the 10 seconds to myself and just before the camera goes off, I let my breath out very slowly. This helps to keep the camera from moving using the timer aleviates me from moving the camera even more. I have done this routine many times and got some great photos. One was in Cordoba, Spain and the Mosque. <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 18th, 1999, 05:32 AM
dan

I would recommend taking Kodak Max (one of those do everything films that Donna mentioned) or Fuji 400. I used 400 almost exclusively with my point and shoot camera on several trips. I probably wouldn't go to a slower film, unless you have an SLR camera and want to change film mid-roll, because in Paris you will likely be in and out a lot. Take a small table top tripod for photos of yourself and for night shots, or you can use a beanbag to lay the camera on for steadying. As Donna said, the museums don't seem to care about non-flash photography - you may have trouble with a big tripod though. Check out Popular Photography magazine; it has an article on photographing Paris this month. <BR> <BR>I think the best advice I can give you is to plan. I looked at a map, for example, so that I knew I wanted to be at the Eiffel Tower near dusk (facing east) for the pictures I was looking for. If you go to very special places, like Notre Dame, the Eiffel Tower, or the Louvre late or early, it not only helps you beat the crowds, but you will get some wonderful purplish blue skies in the shots too, unless it is cloudy. If you go to Versailles, go an hour before the chateau opens. The gardens will be already open, so you will have an hour to take photos before the throngs arrive (you should see my photos of the main entrance at 8:00 and again at 3:00. - what a difference (not a single person in the first one).

Old Jan 18th, 1999, 09:11 AM
Hyalker Amaral

Hi Jim. One thing I wanted to comment on related to a part of your original question of "Is it allowed?" As you know, it is without flash. Although I'm what you call a non-practicing Roman Catholic with different ideas of what faith should be, I try to be respectful of all religions, especially when in houses of worship. I never take pictures during a mass, which I think is rude in general but especially if your seated at the mass. At Notre Dame, you'll notice a sign that prohibits people from the mass area during a mass unless they wish to join in, ergo pictures not allowed. Though I am not religious, you can feel the power of faith that often went into building the magnificant cathedrals, mosques and temples that exist so I would take that into consideration when there. With museums, you should note that flash pictures (strong light) eventually degrade a painting over time, hence the plexiglass at the Mona Lisa. We all want our grandchildren and their children to have the opportunity to see these treasures as well.

Old Jan 18th, 1999, 10:11 AM
Maira

I will like to echo the very important point that Mr. Amaral made on the previous post. To want to capture the beauty of a 15th century stained glass window, the perfection of a marble statue or the breathtaking detail of an altar is a very understandable thing. But, places of faith are more than works of art for the faithful. So while worrying about timers and shadows and shots, just make sure that what you are doing is not disturbing somebody else's practice of their faith. The reason I think this point should be stressed out is exactly what I have seen in Notre Dame, Sacre Couer, Westminster Abbey, etc...Whether is your faith or not, respect is a universal right.

Old Jan 18th, 1999, 11:05 AM
dan

I completely agree with the last two posters. I think it is all too easy for people to think of places like Notre Dame as just tourist sites and forget that they are still places of worship and contemplation. You will find that when you visit many churches in France, there may be services going on - have a seat and just watch. It can be an interesting experience. I actually saw a wedding at Chartres (a very spiritual place) and a choir at St.-Eustache, and a full service was underway at St-Germain-des-Pres. <BR> <BR>Besides this, Notre Dame can be EXTREMELY crowded for photography. If you want to take interior shots there, I would take a small tripod and go when it first opens or right before closing. <BR> <BR>You will find that some areas of the Louvre are pretty well lighted for non-flash photography (for instance the hall containing Michaelangelo's Slaves), and the main floor of the Musee d'Orsay makes a great shot - there is a glass roof to let in light.

Old Jan 19th, 1999, 06:53 AM
Jim

I could not agree more with the last three messages. We do not allow photography during our church services and would not take pictures during services out of respect. My concern was that, in some areas in England, they did not want photos taken at any time. It is nice to know that they do not object as long as you do it at the proper time and with a sense of decorum. Jim