Photography in Cathedrals

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 06:30 AM
Riley

Photography in Cathedrals

On my first trip to Europe last year I tried to take pictures in Chartes and Notre Dame with my disposable camera but was disappointed with the results. <BR>I made sure I purchased a camera with a flash and the only thing you can see is my face while everything else is too dark to see.<BR>Are there better cameras to buy? Could I ask the preacher to turn the lights up in the cathedral for a few minutes. <BR>I don't want to waste another opportunity to capture such beauty on film.<BR>

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Ruth

Sorry, Riley, but in my opinion you would do much (MUCH!) better purchasing slides or postcards of cathedral interiors. In particular a flash (ANY flash) is useless for distances of more than about 3 yards (also damaging to many artefacts and distracting to other visitors). Interior shots need a tripod or steady base (I'm found with my camera against a pillar in cathedrals) and a long exposure (no flash). I still take interior shots, but generally it is a waste of time. Also, many cathedrals have a "no photography" policy - let them make a small profit by selling you a postcard.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:01 AM
steve

I always try to ask the preacher to turn the lights up.<BR><BR>If that doesn't work, get a SLR camera that will allow long exposures - the 'B' setting on my camera.<BR><BR>Place the camera on a pew to steady it and press the shutter button. Try about 5 seconds. I usually take 3 pictures at 3 different times and have had good luck.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Flash

I don't think it's appropriate to use a flash in a cathedral anyway -- and I never, never do. But the ONLY thing flash is good for is for taking pictures of people less than about 4 feet from you under controlled conditions.<BR><BR>I've had good results, relatively speaking, with a quality point-and-shoot automatic camera and very fast film (400 or better). You get some distortion of color sometimes (can look arty though) and you'll never be able to enlarge the photo much because it will be grainy, but you can capture some sense of what you saw. <BR><BR>One very crude sort of hint: I squint my eyes almost closed and if I can't make out what is in front of me because it's too dark, I figure the camera won't get it either.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Jim Tardio

I agree with Ruth. If you just want to get a record of the inside of a Cathedral, get the post card, or pre-shot slides offered for sale.<BR><BR>But I understand your desire to take your own shots. Forget about your flash. As others have stated it's only good for a bout 10 feet.<BR><BR>You will need a camera...either an SLR, or a point and shoot... that offers some control. A camera the offers aperture preferred, or full-auto mode will usually work. These features will calculate the exposure for you. You will obviously need a tripod of some sort. Tiny, table top models are available and they work well with smaller cameras. Us print film because it will give you a wider exposure latitude...meaning you have a much better chance of having your shot turn out.<BR><BR>These techniques will also work with shooting night street scenes.<BR><BR>I have lots of examples of this on my site:<BR><BR>http://www.jimtardio.com<BR><BR>Hope this helps.