Photographer's Scotland Itinerary - 10 days in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2023, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest a 10 day itinerary for 3 senior citizen photographers, starting and ending in Edinburgh, Scotland?
We will have a car. We are looking to photograph landscapes, castles, towns, seascapes, Scottish cattle.
We plan to spend several days in Skye, where we are arranging a guide to special locations. Dates there are flexible.

Probable dates May 22-31. 2 or three nights at each location.
The last night we definitely want to be close to the airport in Edinburgh.

Also - I can't seem to locate a good website for locating and booking B&B's similar to https://www.bandbireland.com/.

Last edited by LindaBrinck; Jan 10th, 2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 09:19 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Will you have a car?

Can you help us by indicating what sorts of things you'd like to photograph? Mountains, castles, towns, seascapes...?

You might want to look at the accommodation lists within the Undiscovered Scotland website - Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page . I'm not a big fan of the Scottish Tourist Board's (now "Visit Scotland") website, but it might be helpful - VisitScotland - Scotland's National Tourist Organisation
Old Jan 10th, 2023, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Yes. We will have a car.
We are looking to photograph landscapes, castles, towns, seascapes, Scottish cattle.

Last edited by LindaBrinck; Jan 10th, 2023 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 11:36 AM

That is an almost impossible question to answer as there are so many wonderful places.

Have a look at this website to give you some ideas.

Old Jan 12th, 2023, 07:09 AM

Have you considered the area around Ft. Williams. There is Glencoe and other places in the area.

I recommend this book Photographing Scotland thru fotoVUE https://www.fotovue.com/shop/books/p...hing-scotland/.
It covers the most popular photo locations in Scotland plus provides some simple maps, photos of course, directions on how to get to a location, and best time of the day and what time of year.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 09:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
That list of priorities still leaves most of the country available and advisable. Is the time booked for Skye included in the total?

Top of the head, given the time of year and those interests, I'd suggest one base in the east and another in the west of the country, starting with the east.

For the east side I'd look at Aberdeenshire, including the castle country in the Dee valley (Balmoral et al) and Perthshire. There are picturesque villages, castles galore, and splendid scenery. I have the sense (but no data to confirm) that one is more likely to see Highland cattle in this region than elsewhere. I've also included the historic and lovely wee village of Fortingall, located at the mouth of Glen Lyon, one of the most beautiful of all Scottish glens, fab in the spring. Google the places on this map, or better, use Undiscovered Scotland.

Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page
Map - https://goo.gl/maps/ArgsdjUphtEhHWn2A

Note this route starts in Inverness, not Edinburgh. I'd suggest taking the train from Edinburgh up to Inverness, then picking up a car there and heading south. Unlike in the US, one-way surcharges in Scotland are not horrendous, and this plan would save a lot of driving and possible backtracking.

For the western base I'd actually recommend Mull and Argyll over Skye. Without taking anything away from Skye (it's beautiful but in danger of becoming too popular, if you get my drift) in my view the Argyll area offers much more diversity, and in a more compact area, making for a more efficient use of your time. Google the places on this map as an example, or, better, use Undiscovered Scotland.

Undiscovered Scotland: Home Page
Map - https://goo.gl/maps/VuDLsat434uQnxdG8

Of course, these are two suggestions out of hundreds of potential candidates. But they're ones that I think would be enjoyable. But doing your own research is best.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I found the landscapes around The Old Man of Storr (on Skye) very unusual -- some bizarre formations -- and photogenic. You will also find the landscapes around The Quiraing to be spectacular. (On our hike in that area we actually missed the Quiraing itself and climbed much higher. I recommend you do the same!)

Eilean Donan Castle is a well-known subject for photographers. Also Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness.

I found the old town Edinburgh highly photogenic. Also the views from Arthur's Seat.

Most of my photos were B&W 35 mm film, though I used an old Rolleiflex with color film around Storr. These days I'd take my DSLR and switch between at will.