Search

Photagrahy in Venice - some questions -

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photagrahy in Venice - some questions -

Hello

First, thank you all for making this forum so active, informative and interesting.

I have read several posts on photography in Europe, on holidays and ...

My questions are Venice specific.

I understand that you cannot photograph in St Marks Bascillica or the Doges Palace, but what of the other churches, museums, etc?

Frari? Guggenheim? Ca Doro?

Is photography allowed in any of them ? If not how safe/secure are the arrangements to leave a camera bag with a dslr and several good lenses with them while one tours the particular site?

I travel with the aim to 'do' photography - it is my hobby and although I am mostly a 'snapshooter' I do enjoy it and get the odd shot that is not too bad. So not taking the equipment is not an option. I will have likely 4 lenses, dslr, portable hard drive and tripod for night and early morning shooting.

any favourite dawn dusk spots that you like? or other locations or advise. Venice is so very very photogenic that you really can't go wrong.

This will be my second trip (April 17-24) and when there last year for only three days all I could do was to walk from dawn to well after sunset each day and explore and enjoy its unique charm- I did not manage to find the time to get inside any of the normal sites.

If any other photo enthusiasts will be in Venice at the same time I would welcome the opportunity to meet you and take in some of the sites through a viewfinder.

Enough for now, if you have any thoughts or information on photography in Venice please add it to this thread.

kind regards

Leonard

- a few Venice snapshots (147 -on 10 pages- Yikes! -I really, really need to learn to be selective- or cull & clean up this gallery)

http://www.ssimicro.com/gallery/album56

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Leonard-

One of my favorite picture spots was the campanile at San Gorgio Maggiore (sp?) across from St. Mark's Square. You get a bird's eye view of the city AND the lagoon. Our pictures from there are some of my favorites! We also found wonderful settings just wandering around- side canals can offer such a beautiful, serene setting.

It seemed like most of the churches and museums checked our cameras, but we were allowed to take pictures in some of the lesser known churches.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM
ira

Hi lc,

IIRC you can take pix in the Doge's palace - no tripods or flash.

I like St Mark's square at sunrise and sunset, the Grand Canal from the Rialto Bridge at sunset, any small canal any time of day.

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Bailey Zimmerman is a poster here and has taken some wonderful shots (I think) here

http://www.pbase.com/baileyzim/venice

She's got others elsewhere.

As to security, visiting the Guggenheim was the only time in my life I had to surrender my handbag. They considered it too large. I took my wallet out but it had so many other things. It was fine but I wasn't all that thrilled.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Haven't gone through all of them but yours are lovely.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:45 PM

lcallow,
Photography is not allowed at the Frari but they do not require you to leave your bag at the front desk / ticket booth.

While Venetian art is lovely, the most beautiful aspects of Venice are outdoors.
Its allure lies in narrow calles and dark canals. In windows with flower boxes and pastel coloured palazzos. In a brightly lit crowded piazza san marco at night and in the softly lighted deserted piazza san marco at dawn. In gaudy stores on the Rialto and the faded mural in an out of the way campo. There are churches at almost every street corner and they aren't just tourist spots - services are conducted in most.

You'll have no lack of scenes to photograph. The only danger is of you not wanting to miss seeing anything for as long as it takes to raise your camera to your eye.

Clearly, I'm infatuated
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:57 PM

<<...although I am mostly a 'snapshooter'...>>

Don't sell yourself short! My favorite is at the very end: "venice-vroom." Nice capture, and nice job of processing. Don't know if this is helpful, but here's another PBase user who occasionally has posted here, and who's work I really like:

http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/italy

As an aside, I just got my first DSLR as well. Wow! It's made photography fun again. I'm already gearing up (two new lenses, etc.) for my next trip. Just wish I could say it was to Venice! Have fun.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Ira, are you sure about photography in Doge's Palace. When we were there, they were quite emphatic that no photography of any kind was allowed.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM

I have to say that Venezia is the most photogenic city! It's tough to take an unattractive photo there. I took some lovely(at least I think so) photos in the courtyard of the Guggenheim and in the front of sculptures.I just had a small digital camera,however,so didn't have to deal with the issue of hauling lots of equipment.They did require me to check my backpack,though.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM
ira

Hi HowardR
>Ira, are you sure about photography in Doge's Palace. When we were there, they were quite emphatic that no photography of any kind was allowed.<

When were you there?

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Ira, in November 1999. And I mean they were quite emphatic about the no pictures edict!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM

late october/early november 2004, photo without flash was allowed in doge's palace. However, backpacks had to be checked in.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:21 PM

Mclaurie.....many thanks for your kind words!!!!!

Leonard....I have found the photography rules to be more relaxed in Europe.....I always ask.....I don't like to use a flash.....love natural lighting, so it's usually OK.
I love shooting at night......or early morning in the fog.....or from a campanile....or in a boat....or from the bed.......or at a table....you get the point. I just chase the light!!

Your gallery is wonderful!!.....say hello to the lovely Venezia for me!!!
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 08:08 PM

We were at the Doges Palace for the Secret Itineraries tour in April 2004. They would not allow any bags at all on the tour, and the entire group was emphatically told that any cameras must be put away.

We found that many churches do not allow any photography and some allow it without flash. Of course, there was always someone ignoring the signs and taking photos anyway.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the replies and information.

jbee- thanks for the suggestion of the campanile at San Gorgio Maggiore, I had heard that before but had forgotten and from that location the view should be spectacular. I wonder how early one can get up there?

ira- Yes the square is a fantastic spot and from watching the webcams at veniceblog it is nearly deserted in the early morning and later evenings so my tripod should see some use as I am very nearby.

I can leave the gear at the apartment and enjoy the bascillica and the doges palace w/o a camera. - I will ask when registering/reserving the secret itineries tour if it is possible to take photos inside. Also it is my understanding that after the reserved secret itineries tour you are free to remain and look around the palace, is this correct?

Bailey - beautiful photographs in your galleries and thanks for the info and comments.

everyone else thank you for the kind words and suggestions.

kind regards

Leonard

oh & beachbum - yes dslr's are very enjoyable - watch out tho - lens lust is very contagious and before you know it you can have so many lenses that deciding which 4 (or 5 or . . . ) to take on a trip is almost a crippling decision -
Also as that collection grows the bank account withers accordingly ;-)
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Hi Leonard,

Really enjoyed your Venice gallery.

This is from 2003, but regarding the Secret Itineraries Tour of Doges Palace, I was required to check my day bag before the tour, and no photography was allowed on the tour. However, I did have my pocket digital and after the official tour ended and we were exploring the rest the palace, I took a couple of non-flash pix from the Bridge of Sighs looking out to the lagoon.

I hope the palace police don't come looking for me!
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM
ira

Hi lc,

In Sept 2003 we too photos w/ flash or tripos in the Palace after the Secret tour.

>..it is my understanding that after the reserved secret itineries tour you are free to remain and look around the palace, is this correct?<

Yes.

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:16 PM

My favourite spots for photos are the piazza either in the evening or very early morning, the grand canal from a vaporetto (altough the engine shudder makes it a bit hit and miss) and from the top of the campanile on Torcello, where you get a wonderful view across the marshy lagoon to Venice.

As far as photos in the Doges Palace - we were there in Dec 2004 and saw two people being very vigorously told - NO PHotos!!. Most of the museums, churches and galleries require you to put anything bigger than a small handbag in the cloakroom.

Photos in some churches (not the basilica) are okay as long as you dont use flash. I got some wonderful pictures in Salute.
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

thanks maryk for the tip on the campanile on Torcello, another reason to try to get there on this trip.

Leonard