Reload this Page >

phone cards in France

Search

phone cards in France

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Bob Brown

phone cards in France

A friend of mine just returned from France with a phonecard, or telecarte, which he gave me to use while I am in France. With this card the user must dial an access code, and then poke in a long personal id number. In that respect, it is just like my Wal-Mart card that I use here. Dial an access 1-800 number, poke in a PIN, and then dial my number.<BR><BR>I seem to recall from my last visit that the telecarte I bought at a Tabak shop was used simply by inserting it in the slot on one of the pay phones located along the street, followed by dialing the international code and my number in the States.<BR><BR>Two questions arise: (1) Do I recall correctly about the form of the telecarte from 2 years ago? (2) Are all phonecards sold in France now like the one I have to use?<BR><BR>I can dial the digits!! But I am checking to see if my memory has failed totally.<BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:37 PM
StCirq

Bob:<BR><BR>Your memory is just fine. Both types of cards exist in France still.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Andre

Bob,<BR><BR>Your memory hasn't failed you!<BR><BR>There are 2 types of phone cards available in France (and in European countries in general):<BR>a) the cards issued by the companies which operate the public phone booths in the relevant country (i.e. France Telecom, Swisscom, Telefonica etc.). These cards only work in phone boothes and are inserted into a slot. They generally have an embedded chip visible on the card's surface.<BR><BR>b) Lots of companies sell prepaid phone cards which you can use from any phone, just like your Wal-Mart card in the US. They generally have a "scratch" surface under which you find the PIN code which you need to enter each time you make a call. You should be careful purchasing these cards as some are supplied by fly-by-night operators with spotty or nonexistent service. Also, it's often not obvious just how many minutes your card is actually valid for. <BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Carrie

Can we just buy our "walmart" cards here and use them over there? Wouldn't the cost be better?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Andre

Carrie,<BR><BR>I don't have a clue, as I live "over there" (in Switzerland) and basically use my cell phone when travelling... <BR><BR>In any event, prepaid cards purchased in the US would need to offer a toll-free access number in the country you will be visiting to be usable there. <BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:41 PM
Bob Brown

Yes, you can get an AT&T access number to use in Europe with an AT&T phone card. The last time I learned that, I decided never to use AT&T again from Europe. I ended up paying $2.00 a minute!!<BR><BR>I have an AT&T card I bought at Walmart and used in Canada last month. The higher charges caused the minutes to disappear at an alarming rate. I think I was paying better than 20 cents a minute, which is in sharp contrast with about 8 cents a minute, or less, from some of the dial around services.<BR><BR>I have not ever compared charges on a French or German card with AT&T.<BR>I may be paying just as much if not more!! But given the tortuous and torturous procedure, I find it just as easy to pay my money, get a local phone card, and throw it away when it is used up.<BR>In Germany and Austria the cards are easily available and phone booths are common. Phone cards in France were easy to use, too. I could find an enclosed phone booth along the streets, with a door that shut. That way it was easy to call. If the time was right to call, just insert the card, dial the access code of 001 and then the number.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Bob Brown

PS Thanks for clearing up the phone card in France question. And given that I am on my way in a few days, it is reassuring to know that I am not totally afflicted with senile dementia.<BR><BR>I remember the name of my hotel!!<BR>And I know not to stick my credit card in the ATM unless I am desperate and need a cash advance. (I still don't think I owe my "friend" $10.00 for his cash advance fees just because he did not know the difference between an ATM card and a credit card. He claims I cost him that much with bad advice.)

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:24 PM
amy

Bob,loved your question. I would be in a panic if I found I couldn't use my telecartes anymore.<BR><BR> I wonder how many people are like me in that I don't care if I save 2 cents per minute with the Walmart card or the darn cellphone rental. I love French telecartes because they're as complicated as plugging in a toaster. I only have to lug three things: a credit card, a telecarte and my ATM and France is mine for the taking. And I can give my two kids telecartes and a an index card of phone numbers and know they're safe.<BR><BR>Too bad nothing's that easy here.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 07:53 PM
Sue

Bob, the nice thing about the access code/PIN French telecartes (and you can buy them at the tabacs like regular Telecartes) is that you can use them from your room, convenient if you call early or late.