Phone calls in Germany & Italy

Dec 18th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

Phone calls in Germany & Italy

What is the cheapest way to make international phone calls when travelling in Italy and Germany?
Dec 18th, 2005, 03:47 AM
ira

Hi auss,

Prepaid international phone cards. Available at all tabac shops.

Dec 18th, 2005, 04:55 AM

Agreed but watch out for surcharges made by hotels and some pay phones on top of the charges but with an international phone card, it is still cheaper than other ways of making calls. Be aware that for the lowest rates, these cards are countrhy specific...you get a card for Italy and then a card for Germany.

One other point, I have noticed in the last year or 2 a decrease in the availability of public phones due to the proliferation of mobile phones. Don't know if this trend will be continuing but you may not find it all that easy to find a public phone wherever you are but they will certainly be available in your hotel and probably your hotel room but check on the surcharges.
Dec 18th, 2005, 08:23 AM

I bought the Europa international phone card in Italy in Sept. 5 Euro for 200 minutes! Thought that was a great deal. None of my hotels charged for calling from my room. In fact, when I asked the desk clerk in Venice if there would be any charge, at first he didn't know what I meant, then seemed very surprised that there might be hotels that would charge to use the phone in a room.

However, as xyz said, it's always good to check first.
Dec 19th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice - most appreciated