Pfalz region wine

Search

Pfalz region wine

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pfalz region wine

I am planning a trip to Germany the middle of May. My wife and I would like to visit the Pfalz region wineries, but only have about a day. Is the best method to stay in one town and visit the wineries in that area or drive the wine road and stop at the wineries as we go by? Or something else? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:06 AM

dhouse - I don't have any specifics for you, but each of the villages along the weinstrasse is fairly small. I can't imagine you'd be able to spend an entire day in any of them. IMHO, you'd be better off just cruising through and stopping along the way. Where are you going to be based?
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

I am thinking Bad Durkheim due to the size of the town and relative close distance to many of the wineries in the area that I have heard good things about.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 07:39 AM

It's definitely a good central location. Where are coming from, going to, that you'd only have one day?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

We will be coming from Rothenberg and then heading back to Munich.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Bernkastel-Kues has a 'wine institute' and museum in an arched wine cellar, where they allow tasing of up to 100 kinds of wine for a fee of about 10Euros. Just tell them what your preferences are, and they'll select. The town has many other sights as well...worth a visit.
Winningen is nice for a wine-tasting, as is Bullay--check out their websites!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:16 AM

dhouse19:
You don't state specific travel dates for May, but many towns along the Mosel River/Valley will be having Pfingstweinfeste (Pentecost Sunday Wine festivals) from May 13 through 15/16.
Pentecost Monday (May 16) is generally a holiday, with most stores (but not attractions) closed.
"Happy Mosel" commences on May 22nd, wherein several stretches of road along the Mosel are barred to auto traffic, allowing for hiking and biking.
Mosel Wine Week takes place in Cochem May 25 through May 29.
And don't forget the lovely village of Bacharach (named for the god of grapes/wine) along the Rhein River--plenty of Wine cafes there... have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:36 AM

How I envy you! Bad Durkheim is indeed central and a good base to explore the Pfalz, but my choice would be Deidesheim. It is just south of B-D, a little smaller and a little less "tourist-tacky". If possible consider spending the night in the Deidesheimer Hof, or at least have dinner in their restaurant! For excellent wines check out the following Weinguts-
in Bad Durkheim-
Karl Schaefer ****
Fritz Ritter ****
Kurt Darting***
in Deidesheim-
Josef Biffar ****
Bassermann-Jordan ***
Kallstadt is a tiny town just north of B-D, but Weingut Koehler-Ruprecht produces a fantastic dry Riesling. The Weincastell Restaurant in Kallstadt is worthy of a detour. Enjoy your trip and some truly remarable wines you will have difficulty finding outside of Germany!