Reload this Page >

personal check for deposit

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Jonnofor

Should I postdate a personal check that I'm sending to a Florentine hotel as a deposit? On this forum I have read that sometimes they hold the check and sometimes they cash it. Thanks!

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 08:39 AM
janis

Whether they cash it or not is their choice. If they do and you cancel within their time limits, they will refund the money. But if I received a post dated check it would indicate to me you weren't definite about the booking and I might not honor it. (How would you like to receive a post dated check?)

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Christina

I agree with Janis. I wouldn't think of doing that (postdating a check) if I expected them to take me seriously and not get annoyed. Basically what you are sending them is worthless as you could just cancel payment.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 09:51 AM
xxx

I would never send a check overseas. If you cancel, you have no certainty that they will refund the money and no recourse if they decide not to. They can come up with any creative excuse not to do so and you'd be stuck. If a hotel doesn't accept credit card deposits in the 21st century, they're a little shady, IMO.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Jim

Not true!! I've staying at a number of convents around Italy and none of them take credit cards. I don't think they are the least bit shady. See other posts about this subject including how to send deposits.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:09 AM
no

There's a difference between a hotel and a convent Jim, in case you didn't know.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Jonnofor

Hmmmmm. Well, thanks for everybody's input.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:14 AM
stacy

The Pensionne Accademia in Venice requires a personal check as a deposit -and they've received rave reviews on this Web site. So, I did send them a check for one night's stay for our April 2002 visit. I guess I've decided that b/c they are so well regarded that it was OK to do so.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Ann

Post-dating a check doesn't do any good, anyway. Banks never bother to look at the date.<BR><BR>However, when you do date it, remember that Europeans write the date with the day first, rather than the month. So June 15, 2002 should read 15/6/2002.<BR><BR>And plenty of small hotels, inns, B&Bs, etc. around the world don't take credit cards.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 03:35 PM
xxx

If you can run a modern hotel, you can take credit cards. But why should you, if people are foolish enough to send you their cash in advance because you demand it? Exercise your choice with your wallet, plenty of small places DO take credit cards, as they should.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:04 PM
lovestravel

We also sent a check to the Accademia in Venice. They replied and I am confident everything will be fine, they have a good reputation. But I would check out the hotel before sending my check.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:09 PM
tom

xxx - most of us prefer "Non-Modern" hotels in Europe. If you want a Holiday Inn stay in Houston.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:16 PM
my2cents

For the record, many small charming hotels DO take credit cards and are NOTHING like a houston holiday inn. As for checks, some hotels still require them, as long as they have a good reputation, it's probably fine. I would be more concerned about the postal service than the hotel as far check deposits are concerned.

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 04:57 PM
xxx

By "modern hotel" I mean any establishment that an American traveler would consider staying in...something with running water and some sort of decent bedding, you know, "modern." Europe is not the Third World. Any place that can cater to Americans can take credit cards.