Peloponnese: Good home base places

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 5-6 nights to spend in the Peloponnese region, and planned to spend a few in Nafploi, preferably in the old town. We have found a nice apartment (there are 6 of us), and also some nice hotels but haven't made a decision. Has anyone stayed in a place you would recommend?
I also thought about going a different route and renting a home on the sea near Porto Heli. The house is a short walk to a beach, but would not give us much else to walk to, as would a place in Nafploi. It would be relaxing though, and our favorite thing to do is to drive around and visit different villages and walk around. We are interested in ancient sites but that is much lower on our list than just seeing how the Greeks live in this region.
So, any help with the Peloponnese region would be welcomed. I have started reading about it but am still in the "very confused" place! Thanks!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 04:33 PM

We love the Peloponnese!
We've spent 7-10 days there on three separate trips.

Favorite bases...

Nafplio, which you've already clued into . The small boutique hotel that we stayed in twice changed hands several years ago and is not the same place anymore, sadly. We stayed at the Pension Marianna on our last trip and it is well deserving of it's rating on Tripadvisor. We have two children now though, so when we return in 2018, we will be seeking an apartment. Would love to hear what you have found in that department!

Great daytrips from Nafplio. The biggies are Mycenae and Epidavros (most people see Corinth on the way from Athens). Lesser known but still interesting - Tiryns (find the tholos tomb nearby in the orange tree grove). The Argive Heraion (absolutely magical). Nemea - fabulous, fabulous site and museum. Lerna and the House of Tiles (interesting because of its age). For beaches, Karanthonos beach is closeby as is Tolo. Right next to Tolo is Ancient Asine and it has its own small cove with beach. We like it better than Tolo.

Other Peloponnese bases...

Olympia because it is just a can't miss. Not close to much else - Bassae is still under the big white tent. Ancient Messene is one of the most amazing ancient sites I've ever seen, but it is quite a hike for a daytrip from Olympia. In Olympia, we always stay at the Best Western Europa. It's family owned and run. Great pool, great restaurant (almost everything they serve is from a couple mile radius).

Monemvassia or Mystras - and whichever you stay in, go and visit the other for a day trip. If you stay in Mystras and are very interested in Mycenaeans, you might want to find the rock-hewn tombs at Pellana.

For visiting Pylos, we like to stay in Gialova. You can see the beautiful omega shaped beach, see ancient Pylos, and enjoy time at Finikounda beach.

So... that is more info that you can really use with only 5-6 nights . With your time, I'd try for 4 nights in Nafplio and 1-2 nights Olympia. If you don't mind moving every 2 nights, then add one more spot in between Nafplio and Olympia.

Have a wonderful trip!

If you are heading back to Athens from Olympia, plan on 7ish hours. If you have time, stop at ancient Sicyon. Very interesting!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Wow TexasAggie, great information! Pension Marianna was one of the places I was considering, and I will post the apartment I found later for you to look at. It is 3 bedroom. I have a lot to learn about the area and what we want to see so I'm sure it will be a while before I make my decision. Appreciate your help!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 05:51 PM

We really fell in love with the Peloponnese .

Favorite things over the trips...

1. Following the brown "cultural interest" signs off the roads. Sometimes you're led to an ancient bridge. Sometimes, it is a crumbling church. You never know, but it's fun to find the surprise.

2. If you visit Nemea, and it really is absolutely fabulous, follow the signs to any of the many wineries around the area. Nemea has been famous for its wine dating back to antiquity. Google "Nemean blood wine". You'll not only be treated to surprisingly good wine, but you'll be lucky to escape without a full meal. The Greeks are the kindest and most hospitable people.

3. If you get way off the beaten path, don't be surprised if people literally invite you into their home. We had this happen to us when we went to see ancient Titane. The people in the village were astounded that tourists would come to see it. We were invited inside, served spoon sweets, and our 7 month old son was treated like absolute royalty.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 08:10 AM

Good stuff from TexasAggie. Personally I would suggest you cut down on your locations and concentrate on one basic area. You can see from TexasAggies description they have been to the Peloponnese three times for a week to 10 days. That's about right to do this area justice.

In order to cut down travel time I would propose you visit Anjcient Corinthy and Ancient Nemia on the way from Athens to Nafplio. While Nemia is not Olympia it was also a Panhellenic games location and still has a partially restored temple, a good museum and its stadium.

Spend threee to 4 days in Nafplio and visit teh outstanding sites previously mentioned. Don't miss the two Venetian era fortresses right in Nafplio.

Next drive to Sparti to visit Mystras. This site takes a minimum of 4 hours to do properly, then drive to Monemvassia and find a period room in the village inside the city walls. Imagine sleeping in a medieval walled town.
We spent two nights there because it was so magical. Spend you last night there then head back to Athens to end your trip.
Nafplio and Peloponnese http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanbr5...7632094108982/
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 08:12 AM

oops, that should be Ancient Corinth. my fingers are not listening to my brain.
Old Nov 22nd, 2016, 12:14 PM

On the road from Nafplio to Ancient Olympia, I enjoyed visiting the small, charming mountain villages of Dimitsana & Stemnitsa. On one trip, even stayed in Dimitsana overnight. Another small village, Karytaina, is also nearby.
Several monasteries can be visited while hiking the Lousios Gorge.
Also there's a cool, open air, "water power" museum near Dimitsana -- it's a restored, pre-industrial facility with some functioning equipment.
The mountainous road between Nafplio & Olympia is slow, but rewarding.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 11:30 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Good suggestions above. We spent five nights in Napflio, one each in Sparta and Olympia then north to Delphi.
Old Nov 23rd, 2016, 11:42 AM

We, too, enjoyed the Peloponnese...especially our time in Nafplio, Monemvasia and the Mani peninsula.

Here's our (fairly detailed) trip report from about 8 years ago.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...r-go-ms-go.cfm

And here are our photos, in albums by location:
http://onelittleworld.zenfolio.com/f724602858

Hope you enjoy it there as much as we did!
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 07:41 PM
kja

Wonderful and extremely helpful information -- thanks to all of you!
Old Dec 24th, 2016, 12:44 AM

Having holidayed on the Peloponnese approx 15 times, then lived there for 7 years, I have seen most of it, lots of places several times, I will offer my thoughts
Given that ancient sites is not the top priority I would certainly not include Olympia, it's the opposite side of the Peloponnese to Nafplion & a long drive with such a short time frame.
Basing yourself in Nafplion for several nights gives you plenty of options for exploring & has already been well covered in previous replies. If you visit Ancient Corinth the site is in the village & doesn't take too long to walk around, although you can see quite a bit from the outside without going in if you wish. I do however recommend Acrocorinth, apart from it being very interesting, the views are amazing! These photos were taken on a January visit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassa...57663543372701
For the other few nights both Mystras & Monemvasia are good suggestions, I actually preferred staying on the mainland at monemvasia as the views of the rock all lit up at night were great, also it fits better with you wanting to see how people live in the towns & villages better. Yes, it's obviously got the concessions to tourism, but also there are many permanent residents living an everyday life.
Another option is to go west to Diakopto/Diakofto (you will see both spellings) or Kalavryta, the railway trip is well worth doing.
http://odontotos.com/index-en.htm
There is the monastery halfway way up (Mega Spileo) & a very moving holocaust museum in Kalavryta. You can also drive further on up to the Kalavryta ski centre, I have been in both summer & winter, the temp was wonderfully cool on a hot July day! Another option from there is to visit the Cave of the Lakes, again nice & cool inside, the temp stays constant
http://www.kastriacave.gr/en/
The choices are endless, with such a short visit you are going to have a tough time making decisions, but I hope this helps a bit
Old Dec 24th, 2016, 10:39 AM

I also liked staying in Kalamata when I visited the Peloponnese. It was easy to get to Koroni, Pylos, Hector's Palace and Ancient Messene. You could also go to Stoupa and the Diros Caves. There are some nice hotels on the water. Also some big outdoor plazas for relaxing.
I agree that 2-3 days in Naplio is convenient for Nemea, Mycenae and Epidaurus. I'm not as enchanted with Naplio as some people on this board. It's a little to suburban for my tastes.
I've been to Mystras (near Sparta) and Monemvassia and they are worth seeing. Just visited Olympia last year and it was great. The Best Western Hotel in Olympia is wonderful.

You really need two weeks to see everything without stress. I have done a couple of trips. Also the Corinth Canal picture op is good too.