Peloponnese

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:19 AM
N Rosen

Peloponnese

We have 3 1/2 days in Peloponnese. Arriving Nov.1 Any suggestions, other than it's not enough time, on lodging, villages and where to find a good, detailed map; Thanks

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Surlok

I visited the Peloponnese on a cruise, the ports of call were Monemvasia, from where we went to Mystras, the bizantine monastery, and the other port was Nafplion, from where we drove to Mycenae and to the Agamenon tomb. This is a very interesting part of Greece that is often overlooked. <BR> <BR>Nafplion is, in my view, one of the loveliest towns in Greece mainland. There's a beautiful fortress there, and also wonderful landscapes. Monemvasia coast is also a very scenic. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 11:05 AM
fiona

Dont miss Mycenae and Epidavros(sorry, the spelling may not be correct!)Also Nafplion, we did not stay there but in Tolon which is close by. It's also a great base for visiting other islands although you probably don't have enough time. Hydra is the most beautiful island I have visited( and I have visited quite a few)You don't say what sort of budget you have but if you are on alimited one there are camp sites in Tolon which are really popular!!Enjoy you holiday!!

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 07:00 AM
xxx

ttt for Noah!

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 10:23 AM
tom

Nauflio is perhaps the most pleasant town in Greece, and is nearby (1/2 hr) to both Mycenae and Epidauros. The Nauflio "old town" is far more charming than Athens' Plaka, and does not in any way resemble the Plaka's overall touristy tawdriness. <BR> <BR>The Michelin #980 (or is it 981?) map is an excellent map for overall driving, but it does not have the in-town detail needed. Michelin Green Guide and Lonely Planet both had good, accurate detail maps.

Old Oct 20th, 2001, 10:31 AM
tom

Forgot to add, that if you do stay in Nauflio I'd recommend lodgings in the "old town" over the rather bland Nauflio outskirts. <BR> <BR>I liked Hotel Byron, but there are also others that have been recommended. Hotel Amalia is part of deluxe hotel chain on the outskirts of town, but you'd need a car to get into the central, interesting part of Nauflio. Unique for any greek city, Nauflio had ample cheap or free parking adjacent to town center, even in summer. November should be snap.