Paulo, thanks for your reply

Feb 14th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Tammy

Paulo, thanks for your reply

My anxiety comes from a friend, who is a travel agent, that lived in Rome for a few months. She doesn't think I should rent a car at all. I've seen many posts about avoiding the roads around and through Naples. I've also seen many posts about how nice it would be to have a car on the amalfi coast and that the bus system is very good. We're interested in going to Paestum, Pompei, Mount Vesuvius, Ercolano and Capua. What do you think about car versus no car?

Feb 14th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Patrick

If you are nervous about driving in Italy or are a nervous driver generally then I'd say don't do it. You don't need the added pressure if you tend to panic about unfamiliar driving. But a car will certainly afford you much greater flexibility and you will be able to see much more than using public transportation. We did that particular area by public transport and wished we had done a car. We did the Amalfi coast by car and were especially thrilled that we did.

Feb 14th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Paulo

My driving experience in the area was gathered when it's suppposed to be the worst ... during summer, in July and August. The coastal road from Amalfi to Castellammare di Stabia through Sorrento was once very annoying, but not at all dangerous (bumper to bumper traffic jam). I really can't remember a single dangerous situation outside Naples city. This is indeed a zoo and is not recommended for most visitor drivers.

I'm very biased towards having a car just about everywhere outside bigger cities (in these I arrive, park, and use the car once again to depart). Having a car, doesn't mean that I won't use public transportation here and there (for instance, twice I was lodged in Montegrotto Terme, south of Padua, and took a train to visit Venice shortly).

I never used a hotel in the Amalfi coast. I was always lodged at a cousin's of mine. From Naples, I never took public transportation to go to places (not even to Capri . Most probably, if I'd be lodged in Sorrento, depending on the traffic scene, I would consider taking the Circumvesuviana train to visit Pompeii and or Ercolano. Now, if I also wanted to climb the Vesuvio, I would certainly use the car even with bad traffic. To Paestum there's no question ... a caris by far the bestway to go (and one may have a peek on Salerno).

Paulo

Feb 14th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Tammy

Thank you Paulo and Patrick. Patrick, my husband and I are very aggressive drivers when we need to be. He grew up around Boston and I around DC. I've decided to go ahead with the car.

Feb 14th, 2001, 01:26 PM
Patrick

Hooray! Another convert in our never-ending quest to convince people that driving in these areas is the way to go. Now, please don't come back with a report of what a nightmare it was, just relax and enjoy it!

Feb 14th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Patrick

PS: anyone who can navigate their way around the big dig in Boston and not lose it, will have no trouble in Italy!
Frankly that one's just a little beyond even my tolerance level.