Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Passport Stamp in Italy/Required Registration

Aug 20th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

On the US State Department's website is the following on entering Italy:
As of May 2007, under Italian law, all non-residents are required to complete a dichiarazione di presenza (declaration of presence). Tourists arriving from a non-Schengen-country (e.g. the United States) should obtain a stamp in their passport at the airport on the day of arrival. This stamp is considered the equivalent of the declaration of presence.

Do passengers arriving from the US going through immigration automatically get their passports stamped? I know that for the two times I've been to France, they never stamped my passport so I was wondering about Italy and if you have to go to some special place in the airport to get the stamp other than immigration control.
Aug 20th, 2009, 02:38 PM

I have done it both ways. I have had it stamped and I have been waved on through when there was a back up of people from the Middle East. Hotels etc. however will take your passport to report you are there. When it was stamped was at immigration control and it was like a machine, walk up to booth, stamp out of there The lines are sometimes long but the actually stamping checking etc takes about 30 seconds max.
Aug 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM

The Italians won't know where you are arriving from anyway. I have only ever had my passport stamped once going through immigration in Italy. It seems to depend on crowds, moods weather or ?????
Aug 20th, 2009, 07:21 PM

My passport was stamped last fall (FCO Rome). As for registration, your hotel will take your passport and register you.
Aug 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
ira

t