Reload this Page >

Passport Name Change

Search

Passport Name Change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:02 PM
Shannon

Passport Name Change

A few months ago (after my marriage) I submitted my passport for an official name change in anticipation of any foreign travel. I am planning my first post-wedding trip abroad (Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Prague, Italy and Greece) for next spring. I am a bit concerned about my passport. I fully expected the first page (with my photo and info.) to have been amended with my married name replacing my maiden name--not so. On the very last page of my passport booklet the passport agency merely typed "This passport was amended March 16, 2001 to change the bearer's name to read Shannon [New Last Name]." That's it! I could have done that myself! Is this how names are normally amended on passports? Am I going to encounter problems? The first page still has my maiden name, and the only record of this name change is this little typed amendment at the end. Can someone calm my fears here? (I did call the passport agency--the guy seemed clueless.)

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:14 PM
Thyra

Humm... when I got married I had to pay for for a whole new passport and I was issued one, with a new photo etc. Perhapes if you feel really uncomfortable you could just pay to have an entirely new one issued.

scigirl

Yes, this is the standard way that name changes are noted on American passports. My husband took my name when we married (long story) and his passport was ammended. We have never had any problem traveling overseas with this change. We've traveled all over Europe and are heading off to Asia and have never had a problem. So, don't worry, enjoy your honeymoon, and have fun in Europe.

A

Hi Shannon, <BR> <BR>I had my name changed last May to my new married name and have traveled to Europe twice since without any problems. All they do is check the back of your passport to see if it matches with your airline tickets. That's all.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:17 PM
xxx

I changed my name on my passport two years ago for the same reason. Since then I have traveled to seven foreign countries and never encountered a problem, but every single customs official flipped to the back of the passport and looked at that name change. They DO check, but I had no problems with it.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:18 PM
richnor can

Worried us too at first. We were married three years ago and wifie's passport was noted the same way. We have been in and out of the U.S. many times since and had no problems. Not even in Russia where any ab

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:20 PM
rich

as I was saying before the damn thing cut me off, . . <BR> <BR>not even in Russia where any abnormality can be seen as an opportunity to contribute to the welfare of the Immigrations staff. <BR> <BR>You should be fine . . Rich

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:29 PM
Shannon

Thank you all for calming my fears (and saving me 70 bucks, or however much a new passport would cost). Very much appreciate knowing that this form of name change is normal and acceptable. Thanks!

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Lee

Shannon, As the others have mentioned, they add the ammendment to the last page of your passport. <BR> <BR>My wife, Mary, had her's ammended and we usually always use our passports for traveling, even at airline ticket counters on domestic flights (just a habit to take them). Strange, though, of the maybe twenty or so times she's presented the passport with a ticket, maybe only a couple of times did someone question it. Kind of weird, that it almost goes unnoticed. <BR> <BR>

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:30 PM
Burta

Shannon: <BR> <BR>Not to worry. I had my passport amended two years ago when I got married. My passport has the same change as you descibe with the typed amendment and the stamp of the regional director of the local passport office on the last page of my passport. I have since travelled three times to Europe and once to Asia (9 countries in all) without a problem. I did do one thing to makes things a little easier and less confusing for people who have to review the passport (immigration, ticketing agents, etc.): <BR>I stuck a bright pink post it note (the smallest size) on that page, so that when the agents encounter the difference between the name on the airline ticket and the first page of the passport, they see the post it note and go immediately to the amendment. This seemed to work for everybody. I didn't encounter a single problem anywhere.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 10:17 PM
Shannon

I was feeling pretty good about my amended passport until I read your post, Burta. My amended page has no "stamp of the regional director of the local passport office" like you describe on your amended passport page. Does everyone's amended passport page have this stamp too? Since mine is missing this stamp will that be problematic for me? I worry still!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:20 AM
Maira

I had a passport on my maiden name and made a trip to Germany while in the process of changing names. Take a copy of your marriage license. It worked for me at the airport in Munich. They did checked and when asked about it, I was glad I thought of it and had taken a copy with me.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 02:41 AM
chris

I don't have a stamp in mine, just the same wording as you described and have not had a problem in the nearly 2.5 years since I had my name changed. I have made nearly 100 international entries in various countries in this time.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:22 AM
Donna

Shannon: The last page of my passport is just like yours. I've been using it that way for more than five years without any problems. Note that it's a good idea to travel with one or more photocopies of your passport (and some extra passport photos), so be sure to copy that page as well. Actually, I scanned mine - the first two pages and the last two pages, and printed them back to back. I've heard and read that a photocopy and photos speed up the replacement process enormously should your passport be lost or stolen.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 04:40 AM
Nano

Hi Shannon. <BR>You'll be fine. My amendment has no stamp either. What they DID do, though, was cross out my name on the first page of the passport, implying, I guess, that something had been amended.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 06:52 AM
ilisa

Shannon, my passport was amended the exact way as yours and I have never had a problem. Sometimes, I point out the amended page to customs officials, but no one has ever cared.

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Shannon

Thanks to all. I am confident that I'll travel without a hitch with my amended passport. Though it seems obvious to me that there are a few inconsistencies in this process (stamps vs. no stamps, name crossed out on front vs no change to front, etc.) That's the good old government for ya! Thanks again! I'll be sure and bring copies of both the original page with the photo and my amended page too just in case!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 12:07 PM
Rose

No stamp no problem when traveling to Central and South Americas, Africa and Europe at least 15 times. Only one time when we were cheking in one of the convents in Italy we got this strange look and before any questions where asked I smiled and pointed to the last page of my passport. I got a smile back and that was it. Do not worry. Have a great time planning your trip.