Passport Expiration and Validity for Admission to EU Nations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My current passport expires on January, 2008.
Will I have any trouble with it having sufficient validity remaining for entry into Germany, Switzerland and the UK in mid - late August. Our last stop is Scotland and we depart for the US on Sept 1.

I have been told that the UK requires 6 months of remaining validity. I have tried asking this question of the various consulates and embassies but all I get are form letters or people that do not answer my question.

We are taking a short "canned tour" in Scotland and even the tour company did not know for sure.

What has been your experience?
Do I need a new passport?

With waiting times being what they are, it looks like I need to opt for the expedited delivery if I have to renew now.

Old May 6th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What country are you from?? That can make a difference.

&quot;<i>I have been told that the UK requires 6 months of remaining validity</i>&quot; If you are from the US/Canada - you have been told wrong. You do not need 6 months (or any extended validity) on your passport to enter the UK.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM

oops - I see you are deprting for the US - so that probably means you are from the States - no six months - or six days for that matter . . . .
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Switzerland is not part of the EU and has its own rules (and they vary depending on YOUR citizenship too)
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:38 AM

It is a US passport.

If the UK is no problem, how about Germany and Switzerland? I have tried to get info, but I must not be asking at the right places.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:45 AM

for Switzerland and Germany, the requirements are the same:
- U.S. Passport must be valid 3 months beyond intended stay
- Tickets for onward travel
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

If I leave Switzerland in late August and my passport expires in January, 2008, I should be ok. When I enter I will have airplane reservations for an August 27th departure from Switzerland and my passport will have more than 4 months of validity left on it.

When I leave Scotland for home, I will also have more than 4 months validity.

Old May 6th, 2007, 01:22 PM

Had exactly the same question as are travel dates and passport expiration dates are the same as yours. We went ahead and renewed our passports. With expedited service we received our passports in less than two weeks. You still have plenty of time to renew before our trip.
Old May 6th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Being highly risk averse, I may just go ahead and renew. The passpsort will be good for 10 years and I doubt if I will be using it in 2017.

As I consider the problem, I see no real gain in squeezing all the juice out of the lemon.
Old May 6th, 2007, 06:39 PM

If you have been told six months, brookwood, then you need to HAVE 6 months validity on your passport-I've answered this question many times-and I've actually called the French Embassy, as well as the Italian embassy, and they have stated IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS you MUST have 6 months validity remaining on your passport.

That goes for the UK as well. Now, does that mean that some individual passport control officer will stick to the rules? Maybe not, but I'm telling you, they've cracked down on this matter since the London bomb attacks, so you want your passport in order before you arrive.
Old May 6th, 2007, 09:30 PM

brookwood: girlspytravel has incorrect information. For anyone who does not require a visa to enter the UK (which would include Americans staying less than 6 months) there is no requirement for the passport to be valid 1 day longer than the intended visit.

What she may or may not know re Italy and France has no bearing in your case since you are not setting foot in either country . . . .

I'd still renew - but there is absolutely NO requirement that you do.

For confirmation of the above here is the link to the UK foreign office website and the information covering your question:

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1034348270424

&quot;contain photograph, name and date of birth of holder; state the holder’s nationality (or disclaimer if holder is stateless or of undetermined nationality); be valid for travel to the UK; <b><u>be valid for long enough to cover length of intended stay in the United Kingdom.</u></b>&quot;

Now hopefully that will end these old wives tales . . . .
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:01 AM

Normally Western Europe, read European Union, requires a minimum of 90 days validity on your passport.

Here is what the UK embassy in Washington said:

You asked if a national of United States needs a visa to come to the UK as a visitor.

No, you do not need a visa.

On arrival in the UK you must satisfy an immigration officer that you qualify for entry to the United Kingdom as a visitor under the Immigration Rules.

Students
Please note that if you are allowed to enter the UK as a student for up to six months, you will not be allowed to extend your stay unless you arrived with a student or prospective student visa, or are studying on a course at degree level or higher. The Home Office will charge you a fee for applying to extend your stay.

If you entered the UK as a visitor, and you are still in the UK as a visitor, then you will not be allowed to switch to student status. This is due to the Immigration Rules Change that came into effect on 3 April 2006.

Please read Guidance - Visitors for further information. Your sponsor, if you have one, may want to read Guidance - Sponsors.

N.B. Even though you do not need a visa, if you have previously been refused a visa for, or entry to, the UK you may want to apply for one to find out if you qualify for entry before you travel. Please contact Chicago, Los Angeles, or New York for further information.

If you are applying to our visa sections in the USA, you can now make your application and pay online though the visa4UK website.

Okay that takes care of the UK.

Switzerland,
http://www.swissemb.org
Germany
http://www.maec.es/consulados/washington/es/home

Scotland, the rules for the UK apply.

Me? I would be have the application in the mail for a new passport.

Old May 12th, 2007, 05:53 AM

ttt
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM

oops, wrong thread. sorry

Oh well - might be useful info for someonw . . .
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM

So, what's the final word? How many days is it for Italy: 90 or 180?? I'm leaving for Italy in 2 weeks and my passport expires in October 2007. What's the best way to confirm this? I can't find any official web sites with the info. Thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM

&gt; I'm leaving for Italy in 2 weeks and my passport expires in October 2007. What's the best way to confirm this?

Since there is no separate visum or visitor rules for Italy, exactly the same rules apply as for Germany (or any other Schengen country)
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

So . . . is it 90 days then, not 180? And that's 90 days from your exit date from the country?
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Suzan, if you go to one of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden, then your passport has to be valid till 90 days after leaving the country. This is the official rule. A lot of people that don't comply with this rule get away with it.It's up to you to decide if you want to take the risk.For othet European countries:every country has it's own rules. I jhopt this finally ends this discussion
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:27 AM

To those with questions about this topic:

What you should do is learn how to research this topic using official sources, not rely exclusively on the helpful (but possibly erroneous) information supplied by fodorites.

If you are a US citizen, start with the State Department's website and look at its section on visa requirements for foreign travel. Note that the State Department reminds you that its information comes from the foreign governments and advises you to check with consular officials of the countries you're visiting. Canadian citizens can go to the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and look at the trip reports for the relevant countries.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM

Kate, Of course you're right. I checked the State Department Web Site and talked to the Italian Embassy in DC. Both sources said that your US passport must be valid for 90 days from the day you leave Italy (not arrive). Since mine will be good for 92 days at that time, I guess I'll stick with it and not drive myself crazy trying to get a new one in two weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -