Passport & Name Change

Search

Passport & Name Change

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passport & Name Change

My son has to renew his passport pronto if he decides to go to Paris. His wife still has a valid passport but in her maiden name. She only recently changed her name on her license and other documents. Do you think she needs to get a new one with her new name or can she use the old one as long as the tickets are in her maiden name?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:23 PM

If she has a valid passport in her maiden name, she should just use that name on her airline tickets.

Her passport is the only document she'll need to come and go from France.

When she gets back, she should file the paperwork to have her new name noted on the back page.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 04:25 PM

I agree - the passport name should match the name on the ticket, since that's what the airline people will be looking at. She could also carry a copy of her marriage certificate in case there's any question.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Whatever your son and your daughter-in-law decide to do about their passports, the name on each person's air ticket must match the name on each person's passport.

Assuming that we are talking about U.S. passports, it is a very easy matter for your daughter-in-law to have her passport amended to reflect her new last name. All she needs to do is send in her passport and her marriage certificate (the real thing, not a copy). This service is free, or $60 if she needs "expedited" processing. For details, go to:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri_name.html

In general, life is easier when both spouses travel under the same last name.

Paul Marcelin-Sampson
Santa Cruz, California
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never had the same last name as my husband, and neither of us has ever experienced any type of problem traveling because of it.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:54 PM

This is what Northwest Airlines and the Passport Office told me. Tickets must be the same name as the passport. Frequent Flyer account must be the same name also.

I have had talks with both as Passport Office renewed my passport incorrectly.

Some women do not take their husbands last name when they marry so do not see where that is a problem.

However if they wish to verify all is OK here is the toll free number for the US Passport Office. It is 1-877-487-2778.They are open 8:00am to 8:00pm Eastern time.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:00 PM

Also must make sure that, if the new wife purchases the tickets online she must do it with a credit card in the same name as the ticket and passport.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:13 PM

Yes kswl, I was told that also. Forgot about that. Life is too complicated isn't it?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:07 PM

That's odd about the credit card. What happens if a friend buys someone a ticket, and this friend has a completely different last name (obviously) on their credit card?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 10:27 PM

WillTravel, after my discussions with the airlines and passport office I started wondering the same thing.

The passport office told me that the passport, the ticket, the frequent flyer card and the credit card used to purchase the ticket all had to have the same name.

The airline supervisor told me the same thing.

Did I reach two people that did not have the correct information. Hard to believe but stranger things have happened.

Or is it that if 2 people are traveling and 1 of those travelers had bought the 2 tickets and had the credit card with them all is OK? I am really confused.

If anyone has had experience with this I would sure be interested. If I wanted to buy my daughter & SIL tickets to fly somewhere with my credit card couldn't I do that? Just does not make sense does it.

Help, someone, anyone LOL.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have bought tickets for my daughters on line. They both have my husband's last name. I have paid with my credit card and was never questioned, whether I was traveling with them or not.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:13 AM

You can use your credit card in your name to buy tickets for anyone you want to. When you buy the tickets the agent, or booking engine, will ask you to state the names of the travelers. The names of the travelers do not have to "match" the name on the credit card of the person purchasing the tickets
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 01:29 AM

When I booked my tickets for my honeymoon the travel agent warned me to ensure the tickets were booked in the same name as my passport (my maiden name) this was in Australia but I assume it is the same everywhere. I certainly only had to show my passport when I travelled - no other documentation. I still am 1/2 and 1/2.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 02:01 AM

A co-worker of mine traveled to England in October of 2004 and realized she had not changed her name on her passport. BA and the British Embassy said it was ok, and she had no problems when she traveled. Her married name was on her ticket. Maybe this was an isolated case, I don't know.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I will be the one purchasing the tickets, since this is their wedding gift. I hope to go see our TA today to get some pricing to compare to what I could do online myself, and will ask them about names on the tickets and passports. (Why would my DIL have to buy the tickets on her credit card? That doesn't really make sense to me.) And yes, this is a US passport. I will probably put my son in charge of calling the passport office. (Thanks for the number, LoveItaly.)
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 04:07 AM

The TA is going to tell you that the name on the tickets, no matter WHO purchases them, has to MATCH the name on the passport...why? ..because that is the only way the airline can be certain the person named on the ticket is probably who they say they are. Passports are more reliable than other "government-issued forms of ID" because when the passport is swiped through the machine reader, that OTHER PICTURE you submitted along with the application comes up on the screen. Much harder to forge this than some local drivers license, etc.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Allisonm,

Just recently did this for myself. Purchased ticket under new name which would match new passport. I didn't have a credit card in my new name--it doesn't matter. Anyone could be buing the ticket for me. The passport must match the ticket exactly.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:20 AM

Just adding another vote that the credit card doesn't have to match the ticket name. I buy tickets for my husband all the time (we have different last names), and it's never been a problem, even when I'm not traveling with him.

I do still advocate bringing a copy of the marriage license in case of emergency (if last names don't match), so it can be used to show you have authority to make medical decisions, etc.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:31 AM

I just got my name changed on my passport and it only took about 2.5 weeks. It was free, except the small cost I spent to mail it certified mail with return receipt.
A very simple process!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Well the passport name and ticket name matching exactly makes sense. I am glad to know that the credit card used to purchase the ticket(s) does not have to match. That sure makes sense. Obviously I was given wrong information by two people who should have known.

And allisonm, you are sure welcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -