Reload this Page >

Passion Play 2000/Oberammergau

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2000, 05:50 AM
Electra Kontalonis

I have the opportunity to see the Passion Play in Late September. Is it worth the time, also is Oberammergau worth a visit without attending the play?? <BR> <BR>Please advise <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 06:35 PM
gloria

I'm and old English teacher and I'm looking for tickets. If you decide you don't want to sit through a morning and afternoon of the plays about the life of Christ, I'm looking for tickets.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:10 AM
kathy

Absolutely YES to both questions. The town is quaint, and to see the play is a dream! In 1998 we toured the area and saw the scenery for the last supper, the route, and the exquisite costumes. Wish we had the opportunity you have. Go ... enjoy the once-in-a-lifetime experience. Many of us would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 04:41 AM
Electra

Thanks for the comments. Since I posted my question I have decided to attend and will also spend some additional time in oberammergau.

Old Mar 23rd, 2000, 11:36 AM
Lanny

I have been to the Passion Play in Oberammergau, in 1990, and in response to an earlier posting in 1999 this is what I had to say then. I see you are planning a September trip which suggests the weather may be like we had when I was there in 1990. If I could add one thing to what I previously posted it would be to wear warm woolen socks too. As I think back I was cold all over, but worst of all were my freezing feet! Anyway, without further comment, my earlier message: <BR> <BR>Author: Lanny Morry ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 10/31/1999, 7:56 am ET <BR> <BR>Message: Theoretically the Passion Play at Oberammergau is sold out but that is just because the tickets for the play are taken, en bloc, by tour organizations so that the people of the tiny village can devote themselves to <BR>preparing for the play, not marketing it. Fear not, your travel agent will be able to get you tickets for the event in the time frame you want, especially if you book now. <BR> <BR>I attended the play in 1990 with my mother, who wanted to see it because <BR>she figured she wouldn't be around come 2000 (delighted to say she is 82, still with us and travelling the world annually). We were there at either the very end of May or the very beginning of June and my recommendation would be that you go later than that time. Oberammergau is in the mountains and it <BR>is very cold overnight and darn cold sitting in the very small, very <BR>uncomfortable stalls in the covered, but outdoor (as in unheated) theatre <BR>where the play is done. The play is done in two parts, with lunch in the <BR>middle. All this is covered in the price you pay for your ticket and you may <BR>also do as we did and book a day in a hotel in or near Oberammergau before <BR>and/or after the play. We stayed in a wonderful hotel at the foot of the <BR>renowned ski slope at Garmish Partenkirchen and can highly recommend <BR>anywhere such as Garmish in the area. The first half of the play is between 3 <BR>and 3.5 hours so be prepared and go to the bathroom before you take your <BR>seat because they do not let anyone leave in mid performance unless you are <BR>having a fatal heart attack or something. This is, I suppose, a sign of respect to the cast, and of reverence to the material being covered. You will have been advised where you will be having lunch and there is an incredibly <BR>efficient system to whisk you away to your luncheon location and whisk you <BR>back for Act Two. Act Two is about another 2.5 to 3 hours after which you <BR>can shop for the various artifacts they sell that are associated with the play or with the excellent wood carving tradition the area is noted for. <BR> <BR>In summary, my particular tips for Oberammergau: <BR> <BR>1. Book through a travel agent and book a package with hotel before/after and <BR>with the mid-day luncheon. <BR> <BR>2. Try to book for late June or afterwards at the earliest because there is nothing worse than being perishing cold for 7 hours. <BR> <BR>3. If on the day you arrive you find it to be cool, overcast etc. rent a blanket <BR>outside the hall from the kiosks that rent these items. You will be forever <BR>grateful to be wrapped up in it if it is not warm. I didn't rent a blanket in the <BR>morning and darn near froze. It was even worse for my mother, already in her <BR>70s. After lunch we had blankets and the play was a lot more enjoyable. <BR> <BR>4. If you like comfort, bring a little cushion to sit on too. Those seats are <BR>narrow and hard wood and your posterior will welcome the relief of a soft <BR>pillow underneath. <BR> <BR>5. Remember the entire program is in German. Get yourself one of the guides <BR>to the play in English so you will be better able to follow the performance. It makes a neat souvenir anyway. <BR> <BR>6. Do not go and expect high theatre. After 5 or 6 hours because you already <BR>know the plot you will find everything becoming quite tedious and you will <BR>wish they could get to the point and finish up. It is really too long. But the fact is, this is a grand spectacle, held only every ten years and that is ultimately how you should regard it. <BR> <BR>Drink in the experience of being there, or seeing the non-believers there for <BR>the spectacle (such as me) mixed with the very devout -- religious groups, <BR>nuns, priests, ministers from around the world, who soak in every word. <BR> <BR>I cannot imagine going to Oberammergau twice for the play, but that said, I <BR>am sure glad I attended it at least once in my life, non-believer or not. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>Lanny <BR>