Search

Party of three

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Isabella

Party of three

I will be going to Italy with my mother and sister in May of 2003. We have been debating whether we will have difficulties with travel arrangements and accommodations because there are three of us instead of two or four. Would we be able to get a hotel room for two and then sneak the third in. I'm not sure if its like North American hotels where you pay by the guest. As well would we get better deals on things if there was a foursome (maybe we could get another relative along ). Any response would be appreciated.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:31 AM
xxx

Plenty of hotels have triple rooms. Don't even think of sneaking someone in, it won't work, and even if it did, you would be miserable. What kind of "deals" are you looking for? Every place I know, museums, restaurants etc charge by the person and it wouldnt be cheaper for 4.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:35 AM
elaine

Isabella<BR>Because most Italian hotels are small, they know their guests and who's staying in which room. Don't think about sneaking. Not only is it unlikely to succeed, but it gives tourists a bad name. It's also wrong.<BR><BR>There are some hotels that have rooms for three. If there were four of you it would increase the chances that you would need two separate rooms as there are fewer quad rooms around. Most popular and budget-minded hotels in Italy book up to a year in advance, so do a search here on hotels for each of the cities you will be visiting and you should come up with some suggestions. <BR>Be advised if you're not familiar with them, European hotel rooms can be very small.<BR>Good luck.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Lily

I agree that you won't be able to "sneak" in. Most hotels in Europe are very strict about that. In fact if you book a single room for example alot of places will give you a room with a single bed. getting a 4th person might help and just book 2 double rooms. You can book rooms for 3 or 1 however. I think as for deals, you will find the smaller hotels more reasonable than in the US. Europe still has alot of hotels that are small and include breakfast for a reasonable price.<BR><BR>Lily

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Capo

Even if you *could* sneak a third person in, it's not ethical. <BR><BR>How can we demand that our CEOs and politicians be ethical when we aren't? (Or how would you feel if a customer of yours cheated you?) <BR><BR>I mean, those Enron executives probably thought all they were doing was just "sneaking" away some debt with "agressive" accounting techniques. Nothing really unethical of course. <BR><BR>Anyway, as the others have said, there are a number of hotels where you'll find rooms for three people. In fact, since groups of three people traveling together might be less common, you may actually find greater availibility of these rooms.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Kathy

We (another party of 3) traveled throughout France and Italy this past Spring (April/May 2002). We had little difficulty getting our hotel rooms. Of course, it helped that we booked early (in mid-January). Since it looks like you're planning almost a year ahead of time, you should have no difficulty getting your pick of hotels. <BR><BR>Side note: A couple of the hotels gave us quadruple, instead of triple rooms. Nice surprise. <BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Kathy

We (another party of 3) traveled throughout France and Italy this past Spring (April/May 2002). We had little difficulty getting our hotel rooms. Of course, it helped that we booked early (in mid-January). Since it looks like you're planning almost a year ahead of time, you should have no difficulty getting your pick of hotels. <BR><BR>Side note: A couple of the hotels gave us quadruple, instead of triple rooms. No additional charge. Nice surprise. <BR>

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:01 PM
elvira

I've often traveled in a party of three; there are triple rooms everywhere. Some hotels have large double rooms that they'll will equip with an extra bed (for a small fee) to fit in the third person. Sneaking in an extra person is wrong, but if that doesn't dissuade you, then work out risk/reward: you risk being tossed out in the middle of the night, possibly getting the police involved, with no place to stay to save $30 or less.<BR><BR>The only savings with 4 i/o 3 is car rental and possibly some railpasses, but it's not significant enough to risk a good vacation by inviting along someone you really don't want to share costs.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:13 PM
Christina

This sounds very juvenile to me, something teenagers do, and not even mature ones. But even if you could "sneak" in poor Mom or sis, where is that third person going to sleep in a double room? on the floor?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Leslie

When I researched hotels in Italy last year for my family of 4, I definitely found that triple rooms were more plentiful than quad rooms. So, I agree that it's not worth bringing in a fourth person on your trip. If you go on www.venere.com or www.itwg.com you can do searches for hotels with these larger rooms. <BR><BR>As to sneaking someone in, ethics aside, you should be aware that a twin or double room has beds for just two people (unlike many American hotels that have 2 double beds) so I agree with the above poster that one of you would be sleeping on the floor! Also, rates almost always include breakfast these days so yet another reason for honesty.<BR><BR>While a trip or quad room costs more than a double, the cost-per-person is less than for two people only.<BR><BR>Also, in the countryside B & B's and farmstays, the price is generally per person and may include not only breakfast but dinner as well.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:22 PM
in_wyoming

We've traveled to France and Italy and have booked rooms for 3 many times. The only draw back is sometimes they expect the third person will be a child (or so it seems) and the third bed brought in may not be as comfortable. Go to the library and check out the travel books and you will see many hotels listed with triple rooms. And, it would not only be dishonest to sneak someone in, but almost impossible as the hotels monitor their guests and it's not like you are going into a big hotel lobby with people unaccounted for and milling every where. It's a more intimate lobby generally.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Sherri Kardell

Isabella; <BR>we must be living parallel lives I am going to Paris for the big 40 next year with my mom and sister. The thing to remember is in Italy and France the rooms tend to be small anyway and sneaking a 3rd person in just in not cool. The Italians are so accomidating if you state what you need in your email or fax they will do there best for you. For instance maybe a family room with a second bedroom would work.In Paris I have reserved a deluxe suite wtih 2 bedrooms and a fire place for 3 people; with research you will find something just right for the 3 of you.<BR>La Dolce Italy!<BR>Sherri

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:03 PM
Kathy

My parents used to sneak us (4 kids) into hotel rooms when we were kids, because they couldn't afford to pay for all of us. The only reason we would stay at hotels on our trips is when there was severe weather, as we always camped otherwise.<BR><BR>I'd never do it now, and if you can afford flights to Italy, you can afford to pay for that third person.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Alice Twain

Trains<BR><BR>if you are going to travel by train, you can have a 30% discount on every train fare (except for seats). all you have to do is ask the "minigruppi" offer.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Janda

Hello,<BR> I have travelled to Italy twice with 2 friends. We have stayed in hotels and in Apartments. At hotels I have gotten my own room but we still added up the cost of the 2 rooms and then we would devide that by 3. No where we stayed was ever over $50.00 a night per person.(Hotels or Apartments) There is also the triple room option.<BR>I recommend that you get a short term apartment. There are many nice affordable ones in every city. You can cook your meals which will save you money and it will make you feel like residents instead of tourist. Shopping in the local stores for your groceries is so much fun.<BR>I hope you have a wonderful trip.<BR> Janda