PAROS - Naoussa or Parikia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will only have 3 days in Paros and we do not want to rent a car. Is Parikia the ideal town to stay in? Naoussa is so beautiful but I have heard the town has limited things to do and no nightlife what so ever. We will not be looking to go out everynight but having a few drinks after dinner would be ideal without us having to cab around everywhere.

What hotel would you suggest for Paros?
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 07:40 AM

Parikia is the hub for the Paros bus system, so that would probably be the best choice for you. I don't know where you heard that Naoussa has "no nightlife what so ever", as that is far from true during the main season.

For questions about the Greek Islands you should state what time of year you are travelling, being as specific as possible — on Paros early September is still busy, getting quiet by late September.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:07 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved staying in Naoussa but also visited Parikia. Can't understand your quote about Naoussa as it a bustling vacation center. Arrived and departed from Paros by ferry at Parikia
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I will be visiting during the end of the 1st week of September.

I'm glad to hear Naoussa does have nightlife because various forums I searched before posting said it was a beautiful part of Paros but got very quite after sunset and some people even stated they got bored at night and often ventured towards Parikia for the night which made me think that is the town I should stay in since my time is limited there.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM

You will be fine for evening entertainment in early September. Some of the nightclubs that operate from midnight 'til dawn during high season may already have closed, but there will be plenty of bars, tavernas, and restaurants to keep you busy.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 08:58 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We were there in early October and it wasn't dead at all.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 09:15 AM

I find Naoussa to be much nicer than Paroikia..
For me it is comparable to Oia - Fira, with Naoussa being then equivalent of Oia....

Paroikia is known for it's night life in terms of dancing, clubs etc. but i assume this is not what you are looking for.
Naoussa does have a night life as Heimdall and HappyTrvlr said
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 10:02 AM

I agree with clausar about Naoussa. It is so picturesque it is often chosen as a film location, as in this photo I took when last there: http://www.flickr.com/photos/heimdal...57627739415280

That said, if you want to get around the island by bus, it is easier from Parikia.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 11:47 AM
WWK

We stayed just outside Naoussa two years ago and are returning this summer. It is by no means "dead" at night. There are clubs and several restaurants that stay open late.

I thought Nauossa was much more charming and beautiful than Parikia, which is a bustling ferry port with a commercial and trafficy downtown.

I don't know what your budget is, but we are staying at Stelia Mare, a small boutique hotel about 10 minutes walking distance from Nauossa. The beach is just across the street.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 11:50 AM
WWK

BTW, no doubt it would be great to have a car on Paros, if it's within your budget. It's very easy to drive around the island, except as you head into Parikia in the summer months. We really enjoyed several visits to Golden Beach ( about 15-20 minutes from Naoussa) and Lefkes.
Old Dec 28th, 2013, 12:00 PM

If you're experienced, a scooter is great to get around the island. It's cheaper than a car and you can find parking anywhere, anytime.
Old Dec 29th, 2013, 01:22 AM

For some reason young foreign visitors chose Parikia for nightlife, while Naoussa is popular with young Greeks, especially late July till first week of August. There is a strip of summer nightclubs by the "river" in Naoussa that by September are usually closed. September is definitely more low key all over Paros, but there are enough places to check, not so much of the mainstream international music club variety, but on the local bar variety. For something different on Naoussa, check Flaming Greek on youtube for example... many of those videos were filmed on winter time!
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

wow! thank you guys all so much - this forum has such a wealth of knowledge! Naoussa was my first choice for Paros so def. will look more into it. Stelia Mare is in our budget and looks great, going to see their availability.