Reload this Page >

Parking near train station in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 1999, 06:39 PM
Marsha

We are staying in Chianti and need to drive in to Florence to pick up someone at the train station. Where is a safe place to park near the station? We will probably come into Florence in the morning and pick up around 1:00 in the afternoon.

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 04:50 AM
Paulo

There's an underground garage at the railway station itself. If you get there early enough (before 9am) you shouldn't have any problems. Later on it may fill up. There's another one in the Piazza dell Unità Italiana, close bye. If you don't find a spot there either, I guess you'll have to go for one of the private small garages around. I've used a couple of them in the vicinities of the Piazza di Sta. Maria Novella (Via de Fossi if I remember well). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 03:59 PM
Jolene

Marsha: We stayed in Chianti in August and drove to pick up someone at the train station. Rather than try to face the city traffic, we parked our car in the parking lot at Grassina, got a bus ticket at the tobbaconist across the street from the parking lot and took the bus into the station, met our party and spent the day in Florence. We returned to the car in Grassina via the last bus around 7:30 pm. Another day we had them take the bus from the station to Grassina and we met them there. Parking was free, but the lot closed in the evening( check to see what time it closes, it was still open aroung 8:00 pm) The bus system worked very well, very inexpensive and I didn't have to fight the traffic at all.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 12:57 PM
Marsha

Thank you.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 10:58 AM
Paul

Marsha - I can give you two alternatives. <BR> <BR>#1 - Park at Piazzale Michaelangelo. It's up on a hill on the South bank of the Arno, with a beautiful picture postcard view of Florence. You'll need to either take a bus down into the city, walk, or call a taxi. Parking is free, so beware of the kids who try to scam you for 30,000 lira to park. Don't leave anything in the car, and lock it up. We did this twice last year, and it worked out really well. <BR> <BR>#2 - Take a bus to/from Greve in Chianti - there is a fairly regular schedule, which is on the web at www.greve-in-chianti.com.

Old Sep 9th, 1999, 04:05 PM
Mary

Marsha: Just returned! We actually parked right next to the train station in Florence. The center is just a few blocks away! The parking area near the train station was recommended by my resort for being the safest place to park! It was relatively easy to get to, Just follow signs for the center (round circle with dot inside) and then follow signs for stazione! This will direct you right to the parking area! It was so easy!! (Signs for stazione should supercede signs for the center when you start seeing both!) My recommendation -- go for it! Was easy!