Parking in Sevilla and Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swear I've looked for this information and didn't find it so I'm SORRY if this has been discussed at length. We are heading to Spain in April of 2020 and plan on renting a car when we're leaving Madrid to travel to Sevilla, Nerja and Granada. I've seen some comments that parking is very difficult in Sevilla and Granada and to train it instead. Well - we're a family of five and the most cost effective route is a rental car. So...I'm wondering if there are lots located outside the centers of these cities similar to those in Italy (we navigated that pretty easily). Any advice would be very appreciated! Thanks again.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:22 PM

Streets are narrow and parking is very tight. We got help with parking from our hotels in both Seville and Granada. We took luggage to the hotels, then parked in public lots per their directions.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:25 PM

We always take driving trips because we use a long term lease program-so I sympathize with the parking issues

In Seville we always stay at this hotel because they are easy to access by car and they have a (pay) covered garage connected to the hotel and they are generally cheaper to stay at than at hotels that are right in the middle of the old historic district-but it is very walkable to that area. We prefer this neighborhood-it is quieter and walking distance to our favorite tapas place called Eslava. And there is a bus right out the door that takes you all around Seville easily including to the areas hard to drive to, so we park our car and leave it til we leave town. Depending on the month they also offer free parking packages.

www.eurostarshotels.com/eurostars-regina

Also, for a group of 5 try to search for what they call their duplex rooms-basically 2 rooms connected by a circular staircase-the upper room had a king bed and nice patio and the lower room had either 2 doubles or twins if I recall. It was a great bargain when my DH and I were traveling in Spain together much cheaper than other alternatives.

I will look my notes on Granada for you-can't remember where we stayed....
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:50 PM

When are you going to Seville and Granada? There is Semana Santa from 5th to 12th April in both cities, when the city will be packed with people (esp Seville), and there is Feria de Abril in Seville from 26th April to 2nd May.

Last edited by Alec; Aug 29th, 2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

During Semana Santa....Oy!
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 03:14 PM

If your dates are Semana Santa or Feria de Abril, hotel rates will soar. Your most economical bet may be an apartment.

For Granada:
Much of downtown Granada is "off limits" to vehicular traffic other than to residents, taxis, buses and tourists with hotel reservations. Hotel guests are considered "temporary residents". The hotels will provide you with their "official" access route, which can be quite challenging, especially in the Albaicín or Sacromonte. They'll also require your vehicle's license number to register you with the local police. And after unloading you'll then need to park your car in their recommended pay garage, maybe quite a distance away. There's a central zone garage, Parking San Agustín just off Gran Vía de Colón (€25/day).
Areas with traffic restrictions in Granada | Turismo de Granada

For easy of parking/reaching your hotel via the ring road, circumventing the confusing historic center maze entirely, you may want to stay on the Alhambra hill.
When I've needed to visit Granada with a rental car, that's what I've done. For me, this is so much easier, less of a hassle.
From the Alhambra hill, to reach downtown you can take the red C-30 mini bus which ends at the Plaza Isabel la Católica or the C-32, which takes you to the Plaza Nueva or a taxi.
https://granadainfo.com/alhambra/minibus.htm

Hotel parking on the Alhambra hill:
The pleasant 3-star Guadalupe has an agreement with the Alhambra for €16.50/day parking. For a family of 5, this might be your best option. It has a family room that sleeps 4 and single rooms.
The Alixares with pool has a family room (for 4) & a quad. *Parking costs €19.20/day.

The inexpensive Hotel América within the Alhambra complex, has valet parking (€23/day). It has one family room for 4 and small individual rooms.

The Alhambra Palace has valet parking (€18/day if booked online). It has a 2-bed, 2-bath suite.
The new-ish Eurostars Washington Irving also has valet parking (€20/day). It has a 2 bedroom suite.
Both have a contract with the Alhambra complex parking lots open 24/7 (500 spaces). But both 5-stars will be very pricey during Holy Week, especially for 5.
The very pricey Parador within the Alhambra itself has free valet parking, but rates for 5 will be astronomical.

But again, for 5 you may want to rent an apartment and use a pay garage outside of the Moorish mazes.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 03:22 PM

Yeah we are trying to avoid those dates-we are going to be there just after. I meant to say in my last post the when my DH and I were with my sister-the duplex room was great for 3 adults traveling together and I imagine it would be god for a family as well

BTW if you check out the Eurostars Regina and put in your dates to check availability (they do have rooms that week), you will see a place on the screen in the upper right hand corner that says check calendar and they have a nice way to check the highest and lowest rates between dates. That has been helpful in checking the dates against our planning for what dates we want to be in Seville. Here's a couple screen shot to show you what I mean:

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:37 PM
kja

Did you try a google map search for parking?
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:55 PM

Have you checked to make sure that Seville's Eurostars Regina duplex can handle 5, rather than 4? Usually when hotels offer a duplex or quad room it can't accommodate 5, but perhaps that's not the case with this Eurostars.
Or you could book the duplex quad there along with a single if that would work for your family of 5. Just a thought...
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:22 PM

The simplest thing is to pick a hotel with parking. You'll likely pay for parking.

Even with five of you I'm surprised you're saving money driving.

Five of you plus luggage is a large station wagon or an SUV. Not exactly cheap usually.
Add fuel.
Add tolls
Add parking. Including the days you aren't using the car.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 09:27 PM
kja

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Even with five of you I'm surprised you're saving money driving.

Five of you plus luggage is a large station wagon or an SUV. Not exactly cheap usually.
Add fuel.
Add tolls
Add parking. Including the days you aren't using the car.
Ditto.
Plus having to navigate narrow lanes in a large vehicle.
And the opportunity costs.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 06:54 AM

I don't think the quad rooms will be available that time of year in any case and I think they will only exceed 4 if you have a child under 11 but you would have to check and see with them once you know your exact dates and what is available.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 11:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
<<Hotel parking on the Alhambra hill:
The pleasant 3-star Guadalupe has an agreement with the Alhambra for €16.50/day parking. For a family of 5, this might be your best option. It has a family room that sleeps 4 and single rooms.>>

Maribel/Doogs - my DH and I stayed there probably 10 years ago now, and on my recommendation at least one other fodorite has stayed there since. Ideal situation, easy parking in the Alhambra car park, large rooms [at least ours was] and traditional food in the dining room. And there is a bus which takes you down into the town and better still, brings you back up again.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 03:16 PM

Hi annhig,
One of the reasons I mentioned the Guadalupe is that I actually remember that you and your husband stayed there
Easy, handy and well priced!
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a fun fact, Maribel. I think I should be earning a commission!