Paris's Royal and Impressionist Era Suburbs

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would like a day trip outside of Paris (aside from Versailles) and don't want to take a long train ride or get on a tour bus then I've got a great option for you. The suburbs just west of Paris are the birthplace of impressionist painting and boast a long and rich royal legacy going back over 900 years. Walk the trail of impressionist painters such as Monet, Renoir, Sisley and Pissarro and discover the locations of many of their famous works. See the chateau where Louis XIV was raised. Discover quaint old villages with ancient buildings and cobblestone streets that you thought could only be found in the country far from Paris. Yes friends, all this and more is only a short RER or commuter train ride from Paris. Click on the link below to see pretty pictures, learn some history and to do something original that few other tourists ever discover.

http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...5&page=1#79308
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:41 AM
sap

Thank you very much, FrenchMystique. This is wonderful! Information about this particular day trip is much harder to find and I'm glad you chose it as a photo essay subject. I had originally planned to cover these areas on the way to Giverny, Rouen and Normandy, but that particular plan was postponed. I will definitely bookmark this and use your details for a future itinerary, though.
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sap. I was just at Giverny and Les Andelys (Chateau Gaillard)the other day but was more interested in exploring the countryside in that area. Between Giverny and Gisors and further north to Gournay en Bray there is some really beautiful countryside dotted with tiny and extremely cute little 1,000 year old hamlets and villages. Real off the beaten path stuff. Only had time for quick sightseeing but will be heading back in a week or so and will have a trip report that you may also be interested in. Thanks for the kind words. BTW, love your in-depth analysis and knowledge of things French.
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:26 AM
sap

Well, I'm looking forward to the next report, then!

>>BTW, love your in-depth analysis and knowledge of things French.<<

Ha! Boy, didn't I pull the wool over your eyes, luv. I haven't been to France yet. Our initial plans are actually for 2011, but I'm a research fanatic when I'm planning a trip and interested in everything. (Plus, I keep pretty good notes in my files.) You may be slightly correct on the "in-depth analysis," but I wouldn't say I actually have any genuine knowledge in terms of experience.

I do love the way you and kerouac, et al. are sort of our men on the ground & are kind enough to show us everything through your eyes. It's your knowledge of things French that I appreciate.
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Wow! I loved your pics. Reul Malmaison seems especially appealing. I went to an exhibit last year at the High Museum in Atlanta which I seem to remember had many items which had been at the Chateau de Malmaison and are now in the Louvre. I got the impression that the Chateau had been left bare. Your thousand year old villages sounds like something I'd love.
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM

Very nice. Always looking for some different day trips. Thanks and looking forward to Chapter 2
Old May 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

sap - If you hadn't told me I never would have known. I may live here but I'm sure I just might need to pick your brain for ideas someday.

cimbrone & Michel - Thank you. I am looking forward to my little day trip next week and I'll be sure to put up a report as soon as I can. Just waiting for the right day with clear blue skies to get the best pix.
Old May 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I confirm that there are lots of great things to see in the Western suburbs, so you can absolutely rely upon the report by FMT.
Old May 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM

I'm bookmarking this for an upcoming trip. Lovely photos! And thanks for sharing.

~M
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

mebe - You are most welcome!
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:37 AM

Bookmarked for me too. This is definitely on my short list for our trip next year.

DaveMM
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks DaveMM. Let me know if you need any more info.
Old Jun 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM

I thank you, too. As you know, I think, on another thread I was looking for day trips out of Paris and this adds great info.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks veramarie. Was that The Biking The Marne River day trip?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My former French tutor now lives in Saint Germain en Laye, so the last time I was in Paris I met her out there and we had a lesson/picnic on the vast lawns next to the Chateau. This was almost exactly one year ago--and it looks as hot in your photos as it was when I was there. Wish I had had a bicycle to explore more of the suburbs...and find the shade!

Thank you for posting this.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

No, the weather was just perfect actually. Hasn't been all that great the last few weeks and I jumped at the chance to take advantage of the clear blue skies with temps around 70. Perfect day for biking and photos. Just went to the countryside in the Vexin region northwest of Paris today and had more fantastic weather (and great photo ops). Another trip report coming soon.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:10 PM

FrenchMystiqueTours, your trip reports are a highlight for me. I'm looking forward to the next one.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:33 AM

Fantastic report. We'll definitely check out Saint Germain en Laye next time we're in Paris and are looking for somewhere new to wander for part of an afternoon!
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Coquelicot - Thought you'd like to know I saw lots of poppies yesterday and took a picture of one for you.

plafield - Always nice to know that I've helped someone find something new in Paris/France.