Parisian restaurants and nightlife - a few questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. Many thanks for the hotel help a few weeks ago! I am now trying to do a little more planning for my upcoming trip (Sept 5-10)

First off, I would love to hear a few of your favorite restaurant suggestions -- doesn't have to necessarily be a budget place, but at the same time, places like Alain Ducasse won't work. My boyfriend and I are early 20's and are looking for one really nice place -- for my birthday dinner-- and then a few other suggestions for more reasonably priced meals.

Second- in terms of nightlife, what are some fun places in Paris. We are most interested in lounges, bars, anything really. Would love to hear about a few of your experiences. We are staying in the Marais but are open to going anywhere in the city.

Thanks so much!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:07 PM
ira

Hi K,

>...one really nice place -- for my birthday dinner-- and then a few other suggestions for more reasonably priced meals. <

What's your budget?

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:27 PM

Quite a few current threads about Paris restaurants going right now:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34845714
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34843561
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34843539
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34843448
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:32 PM

Hi Kristind05,

I would highly suggest Le Cafe Del Homme. It is located in the Musee Del Homme in Trocandaro (great section for folks your age). Four of us had dinner there the first week in June and had a window table with an unobstructed view of the Eiffel Tower.

The food was great. We had Champagne cocktails, wine with dinner, and each had appetizers, entree and dessert as well as capuchino/expressos. It was our "splurge dinner" and we were happily surprised at how reasonable it was. The price was about $90 per person including an extra tip for our terrific waiter. The service was perfect and the crowd very chic, but not stuffy. Lots of folks in their 20's and 30's. You can sit outside on the terrace if you wish--tres romantique.

I made reservations for a Friday night through their website a month or so before my trip. They immediately responded with a confirmation. I confirmed via phone when I was in Paris and requested a window seat. The concierge was gracious and immediately seated us at a wonderful window seat.

Here is a picture from the terrace, just a couple steps outside from our table: http://ceourl.com/CafeDelHomme

Here is their website http://www.lecafedelhomme.com/

I highly recommend this place. It is great for folks in their 20's (my nieces who you can see in the photo, just loved it) as well as those of us, let's say, a bit older and a nice romantic, yet cool place for a birthday dinner.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Boston Harbor -- thank you! That is exactly the type of place I am interested in.

Ira-- around $100- $150 per person would be our ideal price range.

Anyone have any reviews of bars or other nightlife?

Thanks!!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM

Kristin-the one scene I advise you to make in Paris at night is THE BUDDHA BAR-rue Boissy d'Anglas-right behind the Hotel Crillon, and just across from the American Embassy at Place de la Concorde-it's fabulous, beautiful people, but difficult to get into on the weekends-best to try to get there for dinner (Asian fusion) and then go upstairs where the action is happening in the bar/lounge area. The BB puts out their own best-selling Buddha Bar CDs-available at any record store-which is their special house mix of world music-very cool!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

i have heard only good things about Buddha Bar -- should I make a reservation asap?
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 02:30 PM

I can assure you, once you see how beautiful everyone is, you will know even better things about this place! The first time I went was around 11:30pm at night on a weeknight-so no problem-the FIRST thing I saw were 3 of the most gorgeous Italian men I'd seen in a long time...it just got better after that! And, it's not at all pretentious-the staff are friendly.

My suggestion would be to make a reservation for dinner (btw, there's a large golden Buddha about 20 feet high, presiding over the lower dining area and the upper bar area-people have been known to just stand up while dining to groove to the music-so, you could see that as well!) That way, you wouldn't have a problem of getting to the bar area, but DO try to go during the week-it's almost impossible to get in on the weekends. You'll love it, I'm sure!
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:19 PM

L’Etoile is fabulous. I have never eaten there, but after midnight the scene is crazy. Lots of champagne, dancing and beautiful people. . .and an awesome view of the Arc de Triomphe. It is an international crowd, young, and maybe just a little cheesy. I have seen a few celebrities here and lots of models. You wouldn’t want to make it a regular hangout, but I have never seen anyone having a bad time here. I have heard the door can be tough, but mostly on men, and I have noticed when I am with male company (as opposed to my girlfriends), they usually push a table which requires buying a bottle of not-cheap champagne. If you speak French, this is pretty easy to bypass but can be intimidating otherwise. I think the cover is usually around 20 Euro….and in my opinion well worth it.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:28 PM

Hi Kristin,

I made a list of my favorite places from when I lived in Paris. I'm a female in my mid-30's. Each page has a detailed review and a links for reservations. I've been to each place listed.

Restaurants - For an exceptional meal in your price range, I'd go with Relais Relais Louis XIII - a 2 star French restaurant in an old monastery. Read more here: http://www.parisescapes.com/paris_restaurants_top.html

Bars - Haven't been to the Buddha Bar, but its on my list for a trip back in October. Here's a list of my favorites in Paris: http://www.parisescapes.com/paris_bars.html

Something Different - If you're looking for something different (like a bar made entirely of ice, or a bar where you drink out of baby bottles), see this list. http://www.parisescapes.com/paris_re...ts_unique.html

You're going to have a great trip. Post a trip report when you come back and let us know what places you ended up at. - C
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:50 PM

I'm not young and hip - more like older with hips, but the Budda Bar sounds great and very tempting. Isn't that one of George Clooney's hangouts? Also, isn't Johnny Depp part owner of a club in Paris? Whatever it is, it must be cool too.

Be sure to post a trip report when your return - we'd love to live vicariously through your happening nights on the town.

Enjoy your trip.

Nina

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:35 PM

Buddha Bar is great, and Johnny Depp's restaurant/bar MAN-RAY, just off the Champs Elysees-has sort of a California/Asian cuisine, with mains such as chateaubriand steak with shiitake mushrooms, and wasabi sauce-there's also an Oriental decor there as well -often Johnny shows up at his place (co-owned by Sean Penn, as well), and at the Buddha Bar-so you're liable to see most any celebrity in town at these two places.

Here's the MAN-RAY website:

www.manray.fr/
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:39 PM

I wrote this last fall after we got back from our trip to Paris...

In Rick's review, he writes that Philippe owned a catering business in Philadelphia for a few years before returning to Paris and finding his "niche" in his small one-man-show restaurant. It was upon his recommendation of his intimate restaurant that two years ago, my husband and I went to Philippe's. We were staying about 6 blocks away, and found him almost by accident.

We had a quiet dinner there our last night in Paris in 2003, and when Philippe brought us the bill (he waits tables and cooks the meal in a very intimate setting) we erroneously read the bill to be $50 Euro instead of $40, so we left him a handsome tip of more than $20...we realized this as we left the place, when we heard a "thank YOU" come out of the restaurant when we were nearly half way down the block.

Well, fast forward to 2005...we loved our meal there, and with our in-laws in tow, we decided to take them on Tuesday night to Philippe's, where we were welcomed with gusto, but with no hint (and no expectation) that Philippe would possibly remember us.

Well, Philippe was the first to ask my husband Brian if he knew him. "You look familiar," Philippe said with his beautiful French accent. "Do I know you?"

My husband's response was "We were here a couple of years ago." and Philippe said "Oh yes, I overcharged you!" HE REMEMBERED US! We didn't hold it against Philippe -- after all, European 5's and 4's look very different, and that was on us.

Philippe has a very casual style by French standards. He literally brings you the menu, written on a chalk board, and explains each item to you, and takes your order when you've had plenty of time to think about what you'd like. One night I thought we were holding him up from closing, and he said "Oh no no no, take your time madame, you're in Paris."

I loved that.

Philippe is very good with his escargot -- just for starters. He has a house wine and $15 Euro menu items that are just lovely. I had a puff pastry one night, some lamb another night, and a steak another night. We ate there a total of 4 times in 7 days there, in part because the food was great, but mostly the wonderful hospitality.
My Mom and Aunt loved him so much they went back on their own one night.

Did I mention the escargot was wonderful? I was never a snail eater, but boy, you taste them soaking in butter and garlic, and I'm converted.

By the end of the week, we'd met his 9-year-old daughter, and on our last night, Philippe asked us to take a picture of him with Brian and for us to send him a copy.

The name of the restaurant is La Varangue ("The Veranda" in French) is at 27 rue Augereau in the 7th in Paris -- just a few blocks from the Eiffel Tower, so you can wander over there on your way to or from dinner.

Go look him up!

Happy travels,

Jules

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:48 PM

I will be in Paris Sept 10 - 17th, travelling solo. The suggestions here are valuable! I think I'll make an effort to go to Buddha Bar even if by myself. I should see if I can make a reservation soon.

thanks everyone for your contributions!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM

As a mid-20s gal who's recently spent lots of time in Paris, I thought I'd reply with my thoughts.

Budda Bar is really cool, but I'm not sure it's still the big "in" scene for the stars & models (soo 5 years ago for them I imagine)- but it's definitely a fun & posh dinner & drinks spot!

I love the cafés around Buci in the 6th (and Cafe Mabillon on St. Germain around the corner - metro: Odéon), and the weather in September will be perfect for sitting on the sidewalk enjoying some vin or other.

But since you're staying in the Marais, there are definitely tons of bars, clubs, and cafés on that side of town as well. The Chatelet area is not so nice (and murder to get a cab from after midnight), but there is a really fun british pub in the area- the "Frog & Rosbif". Right down the street from that is "Les Bains Douches" which is an uber famous nightclub. I actually have never made it inside, so make sure you & the bf are dressed to the nines if you want to try it. They are right around the Étienne Marcel metro stop I believe- sorry I don't have actual addresses!

For a fun restaurant (though it IS quite touristy) I always take people to Refuge des Fondues up in Montmartre (has a website, definitely reserve). You have two choices- meat or cheese fondue, and then red or white wine (served in a baby bottle). It's always packed, & you have to climb over the tables to sit down, so it's more fun & crazy than romantic- but the fondue is good & I always have fun. Besides, afterwards you can have a nice stroll through the evening streets around Sacre Coeur...

Have fun!!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

I cannot thank you all enough for the great recommendations. I will be sure to let you know where we end up!

One last question though -- are jeans and blazers acceptable for men in France or should my boyfriend stick to dressier pants?
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:32 AM

great thread--topping for me
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:03 AM

My only comment about Buddha Bar and Man-Ray is, unlike the hip bar scene around the Marais, of which there are more than a few (also around Bastille) BB was designed to be a "scene" place-and there just aren't that many of them in Paris, unlike, say London).

They still have fashion shows at BB during the day,and if it wasn't still happening there, I'm sure I'd be able to get in on the week-end at some point, which I was unable to do 2 nights in a row this last trip to Paris.

Here's the offical website: www.buddha-bar.com
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:33 AM

If you are staying at a nice place, you can ask the concierge to make “reservations” for you if you plan on hitting one of the “scene” spots after hours.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:41 AM

Jeans for men will be fine in most places, but for Buddah Bar and any nicer night club they won't be. Nor will sneakers be ok (though I'm sure you knew that)...

Also- I'm very happy to know I was wrong about BB not being "the" place anymore!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -