Reload this Page >

Paris - what type shoes to wear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Jamie

Could someone give me an idea of what type of shoes I can wear in Paris without looking like a big tourist dork? I recently bought some Ecco shoes (white and grey with light blue stripes), but I was told by someone they looked too "sneaker-ish" and I would look like a dorky American. But they're really comfortable. The last time I went on vacation in brown, leather shoes, I wound up w/blisters the size of my fist. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:04 AM
xxx

Are you a slave to fashion? If not, go for comfort and stop worrying what you look like.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:07 AM
Jamie

Yes, I am a slave to fashion. I do care about looking like an ugly American, and don't mind admitting it. Now that we've cleared that up, could someone who has been there please tell me what kind of footwear people in Paris wear?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
xx

"I do care about looking like an ugly American". Well if the shoe fits...

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
notta

Stelleto heels.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:13 AM
Europa

Something dog-crap proof 'cause your gonna see a LOT of it it Paris.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Jamie

The intelligence level on this board astounds me. And it's stiletto, not stelleto, genius.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:15 AM
Kathleen

I have Dansko's, which are pretty comfortable, and Clark slides. The Clark's were very, very comfortable, but not practical if it's wet or muddy. Visit a good shoe store, and get something in a dark leather. Just make sure you break them in well before you leave.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:15 AM
Jamie

They don't have to clean up after their dogs over there?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:16 AM
Jamie

Thanks, Kathleen, I'll try some Clark's. My fiance has some and he says they're really comfortable. I didn't know they made shoes for women, I'll check them out!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:16 AM
Walker

Parisian women seem to have seriously ugly stuffed into shoes with the most delicate of heels. I've never seen so many band-aids, blisters and permanent scars as I have on the Parisians. All museums, monuments and parks are surrounded by dust and gravel. My suggestion, is get a pair of Campers or bowling-type shoes, they are very in now. Above all wear something you don't min getting dusty. We were wiping our shoes every day with a damp paper towel.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
xxx

Even if your shoes don't give you away, what makes you think you won't be recognized as an ugly American?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Walker

I meant to say ugly feet stuffed into shoes.

Jess

Jamie, when will you be in Paris? A couple of years ago I went in Feb and just wore the mid-heel black boots that I wore all winter. I took a pair of gray wool high heels for dressing up with skirts. While I did walk a lot, I found the metro much easier to use than in Rome or Barcelona for example, and my feet had the opportunity to rest to and from sights. <BR>You might try getting some Tod's-like driving shoes. They worked pretty well for me in Italy. I wore them for a few weeks before I left and put moleskin on the parts that bothered me.

Jamie

Hey XXX, easy to be a dick when you're anonymous, isn't it? I think mainly my ability to keep quiet and not be an obnoxious ass like yourself will help out.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:24 AM
xxx

Doubtful!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
Rita

Dear Jamie<BR>I too worried about looking like a dorky American tourist. I recently returned from 4 days in Paris. When we were there (early June), it was overcast and cold the entire time. I ended up wearing my black leather Josef Siebel slip-ons with long black jeans/black jumper the entire time. These shoes have air-cushioned "bubbles" on the insoles and had already been broken in, so no blisters at all. The shoe style name is Jennifer - they look almost like the backless clogs that are so popular around here (Midwest USA), but these had backs (which I need because my feet don't stay in flip flops very well!)<BR><BR>Good luck & have fun! Also - I was expecting loads of dog poop (based on what I've read on Fodors) & thankfully I didn't encounter much at all!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:11 AM
Matilda

Jamie<BR><BR>Here's a suggestion for you. Don't go on the trip. Use the money to see a good psychiatrist and find out why a young person like yourself has no self confidence or the ability to make their own decision. Once you've tackled these issues then maybe you'll be ready to travel overseas....like an adult.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:14 AM
xxx

Matilda: I couldn't have said it better. Right on!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Carla

I was in Paris the second week of June and saw many Parisians wearing those leather shoes which resemble tennis shoes but in black or brown. They seem to be extemely popular there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -